2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/17, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear End Whine

I just purchased a 2014 Mustang gt 6MT 3.55 gears with 19,xxx miles. I am getting a whining noise from the rear end at highway speeds on throttle. If i let off the gas completely it goes away. Took it to the dealer they said they couldnt replicate the issue to just drive it until it breaks. Any advice?
Old 4/5/17, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
It normal starts around 55. Bring it to another Dealer and see what they say.
Old 4/5/17, 09:58 AM

Yea you can hear it at pretty much all speeds its just the most noticeable on the highway in 6th.
Old 4/5/17, 01:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine has that too but it's not severe. I can only hear it if I have no music on. Dealer wanted to look at it, but I think it's gonna be too expensive and it doesn't bother me.
Old 4/5/17, 02:45 PM

What year is your mustang? And mileage? Auto or manual? What gear ratio do you have?
Old 4/5/17, 03:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

mine is a 2011 GT manual w/ the standard gear ratio. Bout 90k on the speedo
Old 4/5/17, 03:48 PM

Has it done it since you bought the car?
Old 4/5/17, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

Mine is a 2014 GT Track pack option. Had it since day one
Old 4/5/17, 04:03 PM

Have you had it to the dealer?
Old 4/5/17, 05:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by thatmustanguy
Has it done it since you bought the car?
nah, since prob about 60k
Old 4/5/17, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Mine is a 2014 GT Track pack option. Had it since day one
Same. Have had rear end rebuilt by local dealer twice. First time they made it way worse. Second time was less bad than the first rebuild and still worse than the factory build. They also made me return my suspension 100% to stock before they'd touch it the second time. I can't take it anymore and have an appointment to drop my car at a local gear shop next week. It has ruined driving my car for me. I had him drive it and he was appalled that Ford let the car out of the factory like that. He said he's put 3.73s and even 4.30s in Ford 8.8s and had zero noise. I'm willing to pay to see if it goes away completely. I was even going to drop down to 3.55s but he said he can make the 3.73s quiet, so we'll see. 4th ring and pinion going in next week!
Old 4/5/17, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

I have been to the dealer and they said that it is normal for the Torson rear to wine like it is.
Old 4/5/17, 09:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have been to the dealer and they said that it is normal for the Torson rear to wine like it is.
Yeah and mine said the same. Yet, if you search other Mustang forums there's many people who say they have TP cars with no noise. This gear shop gets cars from all over NorCal and he was booked a month out - he says it's not normal. We'll see. I'm really hoping he can set it up correctly and make my whine go away, literally hah. I'm also having him put Redline fluid in the rear end and transmission while the car is in.
Old 4/5/17, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Same. Have had rear end rebuilt by local dealer twice. First time they made it way worse. Second time was less bad than the first rebuild and still worse than the factory build. They also made me return my suspension 100% to stock before they'd touch it the second time. I can't take it anymore and have an appointment to drop my car at a local gear shop next week. It has ruined driving my car for me. I had him drive it and he was appalled that Ford let the car out of the factory like that. He said he's put 3.73s and even 4.30s in Ford 8.8s and had zero noise. I'm willing to pay to see if it goes away completely. I was even going to drop down to 3.55s but he said he can make the 3.73s quiet, so we'll see. 4th ring and pinion going in next week!
Laser, Please let us know what happens. I have a really good speed shop by me that just rebuilt my suburban. I read that you had problems and when I took it to the dealer I asked them if they had a good Rear end person. They said they did and told me that the wine is there because of the gears they use. I laughed. SO am not letting them touch it.

I told them to check out the drive train as well because some times it sounds like the trans and rear is going to fall out of the car. It makes this clunking sound when I get on it or I am driving slow in traffic. So They ordered Tie Rods. LOL
Old 4/6/17, 02:50 AM

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that is frustrated with the rear end in these cars. Mine is not super loud but just loud enough to ruin the driving experience. When I first bought the car and took my girlfriend for a ride she kept checking to see if her window was up, when I asked her what she was doing she said don't you hear that whining noise? So I know it's not just me being picky
Old 4/11/17, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've had it in my TP car with 3.73s since day one. Not bad though, not even close to ruin the driving experience. Most obvious in 6th between 60 and 70 when of throttle just coasting.

Been there since day 1. Dealer had a Ford field engineer look at it, and concluded it's "better than most". LOL.

I consider it one of those nuisances of owning a Mustang which has been getting closer and closer to a race car. Like having to use 93 octane, squeeling brakes, terrible fuel economy and not being able to fit anything bigger than a 3 year old in the back seat...
Old 4/11/17, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I've had it in my TP car with 3.73s since day one. Not bad though, not even close to ruin the driving experience. Most obvious in 6th between 60 and 70 when of throttle just coasting.

Been there since day 1. Dealer had a Ford field engineer look at it, and concluded it's "better than most". LOL.

I consider it one of those nuisances of owning a Mustang which has been getting closer and closer to a race car. Like having to use 93 octane, squeeling brakes, terrible fuel economy and not being able to fit anything bigger than a 3 year old in the back seat...
My maiden voyage in my car was a 1000 mile trip from Seattle to the SF Bay Area, mostly down I-5. It was a Saturday so it's not like I could've left the car there and flown back home, to pick it up later. The local dealer has only made it worse. I'm scheduled to drop the car off Thursday, so I'll update this thread on Friday.
Old 4/12/17, 12:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My 13GT developed a slight whine 'after' the suspension work (lowered with coilovers, control arms, panhards, sways) done a while back. It was completely silent before than. This definitely caught me off guard because mine is 3.55's and I thought only 3.73's had these.

I remember the shop taking out the rear seats and putting some Dynamats on there to mask the noise.

On the other hand, my younger brother's 14GT has had much louder and more noticeable whine. This caught us by another surprise, his gears being the standard 3.31's. The dealership managed to quiet them down but still has some noise.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
mine is a 2011 GT manual w/ the standard gear ratio. Bout 90k on the speedo
Long time no see stangfoeva! I remember seeing each other a few years back at the Mustang meet (Orangethorpe & Brookhurst?). Sadly that restaurant is gone now haha. How you been?
Old 4/12/17, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
get a louder exhaust!
Old 4/12/17, 06:31 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
My 13GT developed a slight whine 'after' the suspension work (lowered with coilovers, control arms, panhards, sways) done a while back. It was completely silent before than. This definitely caught me off guard because mine is 3.55's and I thought only 3.73's had these.
Any chance that the lowering changed your pinion angle enough to cause whine?