2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Really loosing faith now :fuss:

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/12, 12:50 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe its build up on the sensor of the fuel sending unit. Since they changed from gold to silver the new unit seems to get some build up on it.
Old 2/19/12, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
UNLIKE!! deal with something that clearly is not right? NO WAY! Would you keep a gutar that the strings kept falling off? NO WAY! The next time I buy a new car yep for sure I will want everything to operate correctly. Your post =
yeah like I said I get that you want a new car perfect, and yes it is a problem that needs to be addressed. But what I'm saying isn't that ford is right for not fixing it. I'm saying that it's a flaw in fords and I feel lemoning out the car would be a waste. I love my car, including its little flaws, and I'm not saying you or anyone who complains doesn't. But the chance is still possible that the same problem will happen in a new mustang. and it's also not a big flaw in the car like those cheap harmonic balancers in the 05-09s. That's why I would say just don't worry/stress about it. Not because it's ok for it to be messed up, but the hassle isn't worth it. You're getting a LOT of car for your money and the one thing that's messing up isn't particularly essential to the car like strings to a guitar. you're allowed to your own opinion buddy. but hey this is coming from someone who would love to own a 5.0. I'd take a 5.0 with a jumpy fuel gauge any day. But yeah I understand, you payed money for it and it should be perfect.

Last edited by Aamador521; 2/19/12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2/20/12, 05:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I believe its build up on the sensor of the fuel sending unit. Since they changed from gold to silver the new unit seems to get some build up on it.
If this were the case, I'd assume more than two would be posting this same problem, and Ford would have fixed the OP's Mustang on the first go around. These rare types of problems can be a bad wiring harness, from the fuel sender to the guage cluster. Extreemly hard to locate. A pinched harness during assembly. I'm certainly no ASE mechanic, but since the sending unit and cluster have been replaced with no positive results in one case, then the next step would be to assume a wiring fault. This may explain why the dealership has not found it yet; tracing the wiring is a long and tedious job.
The best answer I've read on this post so far is to involve the Ford regional rep. Get them involved.

Last edited by Bucko; 2/20/12 at 05:08 AM.
Old 2/20/12, 05:25 AM
V6 Member

You know that there is a TSB on this issue, right? Mine had it right off of the dealer lot. They performed the TSB and I had no other issues with it.
Old 2/20/12, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I know I get over 300 miles per full tank with my normal driving. If it were me, I'd note the odometer and drive about 275 regardless of what the gauge & warning says. Then, if it does die at 150 or so, use your roadside assistance and have it towed to the Dealer.
I know that would be a pain but if in fact the fuel system stops at 150 it might help the Dealer figure it out. Maybe it would throw a code.
Although I would bet you'll get the 300 miles since it sure seems sensor or computer related.
Just a thought.
The problem is, I know there is gas in the tank, BUT all sensors have been changed over the past few months and my worry is that there is something else under lying. If you go by the TSB on this issue, there is no guarantee that fuel can be drawn from the fuller side of the saddle tank.

The dealer has seen the issue first hand and is determined to fix it for me one way or another.
Old 2/20/12, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SolRyan
If you drive for another 10 or so miles does the gas gauge start to go back up? Also, this is one I discovered.. If you have the headlights on does the fuel one turn red? (on mine, it was the way to tell if you were actually out of gas, you'd flip the headlights on and if the gauge wasn't red, you were safe to keep going, I know it sounds weird, something about it was a momentary error)... I'd hoped they fixed this... I want a 2013 and now I'm scared....
No it doesn't start to back up, and yes the guage goes red too. Something is screwed up.
Old 2/20/12, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I just pulled up my W/O from the other week which states:

Verified concern. Checked OASIS. RE&RE both senders. Observed connecting hose kinked. Assemble sending units and hose on floor found hose would hit sending unit float on R/Side causing guage to read full always. replaced gas tank unit. Guage reads 1/8 of tank and verified level in tank the same. Cross over hose distorted and hitting float on R/side sender.

This was hoped to have finally resolved the problem but it didn`t even last more than one tank of gas.

As I mentioned the TSB was performed. New cluster per Ford as this was a leading cause of the same issue in the SHO. Fuel pump replaced, senders replaced numerous times. This is why it is frustrating.
Old 2/20/12, 09:11 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
If this were the case, I'd assume more than two would be posting this same problem, and Ford would have fixed the OP's Mustang on the first go around. These rare types of problems can be a bad wiring harness, from the fuel sender to the guage cluster. Extreemly hard to locate. A pinched harness during assembly. I'm certainly no ASE mechanic, but since the sending unit and cluster have been replaced with no positive results in one case, then the next step would be to assume a wiring fault. This may explain why the dealership has not found it yet; tracing the wiring is a long and tedious job.
The best answer I've read on this post so far is to involve the Ford regional rep. Get them involved.
I had this problem on my old car.
Old 2/20/12, 09:30 AM
V6 Member

I did not figure it would fix your car MustangGTpilot. You problem is deeper rooted than just the TSB. I was pointing it out for the other folks that might have this problem. Mine happened on the first tank of gas that was put in in. Luckily, the TSB worked for me. Goodluck with yours....
Old 2/20/12, 09:30 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
I am not too happy with my car right now. Going in for the 5th time for same problem - fuel guage goes to zero and warnings of no fuel when tank gets around 1/2 - 1/4.
Originally Posted by going for broke
I'd tell the dealer they need to get the regional service rep involved. I would also call ford Canada customer service
MustangGTPilot, as going for broke mentioned, you should definitely get Ford of Canada involved. You can contact them at 1-800-565-3673. They’ll be able to help you with this. Let me know if you need me as well.

Deysha
Old 2/20/12, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
MustangGTPilot, as going for broke mentioned, you should definitely get Ford of Canada involved. You can contact them at 1-800-565-3673. They’ll be able to help you with this. Let me know if you need me as well.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha I will give you a holla if I need extra help.
Old 2/20/12, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Aamador521
yeah like I said I get that you want a new car perfect, and yes it is a problem that needs to be addressed. But what I'm saying isn't that ford is right for not fixing it. I'm saying that it's a flaw in fords and I feel lemoning out the car would be a waste. I love my car, including its little flaws, and I'm not saying you or anyone who complains doesn't. But the chance is still possible that the same problem will happen in a new mustang. and it's also not a big flaw in the car like those cheap harmonic balancers in the 05-09s. That's why I would say just don't worry/stress about it. Not because it's ok for it to be messed up, but the hassle isn't worth it. You're getting a LOT of car for your money and the one thing that's messing up isn't particularly essential to the car like strings to a guitar. you're allowed to your own opinion buddy. but hey this is coming from someone who would love to own a 5.0. I'd take a 5.0 with a jumpy fuel gauge any day. But yeah I understand, you payed money for it and it should be perfect.
I like that you called me Buddy
Old 2/20/12, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I like that you called me Buddy
it's kinda my thing
Old 2/21/12, 10:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
Thanks Deysha I will give you a holla if I need extra help.
No problem, MustangGTPilot!

Deysha
Old 2/23/12, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I just got her back. Another new fuel pump fitted, apparently this is revision 3 to the 2011 fuel pump assembly, and a new set of level sensors. Will see if this fixes the problem or I will not be a happy bunny!!!