2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Race red vs Candy red?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/11, 06:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Candy. Although race red looks pretty good with black stripes.

My first mustang was an '05 GT in Redfire. I couldn't decide on a what color and then saw a dealer lot that every mustang color. Seeing them all side by side the Redfire stood out from the rest. Candy is a bit like the old Redfire.

Last edited by Whammer; 6/18/11 at 06:51 PM.
Old 6/18/11, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have race red...If you want your car to really pop and grab attention, go with race red. If you want to blend in and attract less attention, go with candy. I get compliments every single day on the color (race). It's just a very fast color and makes the stang look much more aggressive imo.
Old 6/18/11, 11:36 PM
GT Member

I really like both reds on the current generation Mustang.

Red Candy is a more grown up and sophisticated color, in my opinion. It changes with the light too, which can be nice. It looks great in bright sunlight to me, although it's a bit too dark in the shadows for my taste. I think the color looks good on the Mustang, but I think it suits the Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO, and Fusion Sport better, as it says "performance luxury" a bit more than "pure performance" to me.

Race Red is more, well, racy. It's a classic color and really says "pony car" to me.

Personally, if I were to rate the current colors for the current Mustang, I'd choose Grabber Blue followed by Performance White, followed by Race Red, followed by Red Candy. I also think Race Red would be easier to maintain than Candy Red, being that it's lighter and not metallic, but I could be wrong.
Old 6/18/11, 11:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the race red better. My roommate has a candy red 2010 gt, great color but a little to blingy for me.
Old 6/19/11, 12:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
To each his own but I like the race red better.
I'm with you.
Old 6/20/11, 11:30 AM

Red Candy gets my vote.
Old 6/20/11, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Race red all the way.
Old 6/20/11, 07:56 PM
V6 Member

Race red here!!!
Old 6/20/11, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote for the Grabber blue stang in the second pic over both

Hard to say for me really (im not much of a red guy) but this reminds me of having to choose between keeping my Vista blue or getting my current Grabber blue. Race red is a "always on" kind of color like GB is, while Candy red is like Vista/Sonic blue and shows its true colors only in sunlight. So it depends on what your going for, to be honest I would get the color that always looks the best to you. If you like Candy in the sun and in the shade go with that if you don't want a color like that then get Race.
Old 6/20/11, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's always Lava Red... :-)
Old 6/20/11, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaybertx
There's always Lava Red... :-)
I really want to see this color in person, I was told its almost black but in direct sunlight its a dark cherry color.
Old 6/21/11, 05:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
race red has a slight orange to it from what ive seen.
my cali specail will be race red because red candy was not an option for 2012 models
all my other cars have been the metallic red and i have loved them all. started out with laser red, then redfire, ive had sangria red on my escapes also. all are great and i find they dont show the fade as much if they set out in the sun all the time.
lava red i have seen in person several times and each time i think its a black car. they had a couple up at carlisle Ford nationals couple weeks ago and only when i looked at the window sticker did i see it was lava. and this was after cleaned up. they should call it black cherry for a better reflection of the color.
Old 6/21/11, 05:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Race red w/white rocker panel stripes.
Old 6/21/11, 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
I really want to see this color in person, I was told its almost black but in direct sunlight its a dark cherry color.
That is a great description. I've taken a ton of pictures and they look too purple -- but the color isn't really purple at all. I'm going to try to take some pics with a better camera this weekend to see if they are "truer". It's a fantastic color and I couldn't be happier with the choice.

Pics here: https://themustangsource.com/f726/its-here-496621/
Old 6/21/11, 08:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Race...
Metallic colors are too common these days. Yes, I bought a Kona blue but only because Grabber Blue (while awesome) was too showy for me. Race red is a really beautiful paint in person, glows nicely in daylight, still looks good under artificial light...
...and looks freaking awesome with the Brembo package grey wheels.

All of the colors for the '10+ cars are excellent... Race Red is one of the best, IMO.
Old 6/21/11, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither. Too bad really except that red cars get more tickets.
Old 6/21/11, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Red Candy mos def. It was my second choice behind Kona.
Old 6/21/11, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
I was close to buying race red before I saw one in person but after parking a race red and candy red side by side at the dealership's lot, I went with candy.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages though.

The race red no matter what the lighting conditions is bright and eye grabbing

The candy red is a darker red depending on the light but if it's in direct sunlight, there is a lot more depth to the color and the metallic flake in the paint really brings the lines in the car to life as long as the paint is clean. The best description that myself and numerous others who have seen it in person have said is that the color really pops.

But it needs to be fairly clean and nice sunlight to look it's best.

The other drawback to candy is that it has an extra cost to get it but I thought it was worth it.

So the candy red doesn't have the "look at me!" factor that the race red has but when the light is right, it's a richer and deeper color.

Another benefit I think that candy red has is that it doesn't show dirt as much as race red does. A girl at our office just got a race red mustang and I've noticed that it shows dirt quite a bit more than mine. Mine can be filthy (staring across a layer of dirt across the hood) and when I get out, I can't see it. It doesn't shine as much but it still looks relatively clean.
I have to be honest; your car has officially made me a Candy Red believer. The low-light color is still stunning, but that picture in the direct sun...good god. What a beautiful car!

If that's still an available color on the next gen Mustang, I'll have it!
Old 6/22/11, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Here's a couple of my Race Red GT. I think it looks really sweet with a black stripe.
Attached Thumbnails Race red vs Candy red?-sarah.jpg   Race red vs Candy red?-img00047-20100828-1303.jpg  
Old 6/22/11, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Race red if you plan on doing Amy stripes. Candy looks best with no stripes.

Quick Reply: Race red vs Candy red?