Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Questions on Heat Extractors

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/12, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Heat Extractors

The heat extractors on the 2013s are functional, right? Which means they are open. So what happens in a heavy rain or snow storm? Does water get in the engine compartment now? And what about the cleanlyness of the engine? Does the engine get alot dirtier now? What about the air filter? Does it need to be changed more often?

Joe C
Old 5/29/12, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jocatch
The heat extractors on the 2013s are functional, right? Which means they are open. So what happens in a heavy rain or snow storm? Does water get in the engine compartment now? And what about the cleanlyness of the engine? Does the engine get alot dirtier now? What about the air filter? Does it need to be changed more often?

Joe C
I can't speak for the rest of the questions but I do know in my 2012 Boss the airbox is sealed in the engine bay and gets its air from the front of the car so the hood extractors would have no bearing on cleanliness of the filter.... unless you change to an aftermarket CAI.
Old 5/29/12, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

only if your hood has a pile of bird poop on it

the air will travel from under the hood, through the extractor out. it probably wont let too much dust going in while the car is running, due to the pressure difference.

but if ur car is parked, with a pile of bird poop right around the hood vent, and then it started raining, id imagine bird poop would be washed into the vent, hahaha

Last edited by airoscar; 5/29/12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 5/29/12, 02:30 PM
GT Member

All I know is when you wash it after it has been driven the engine sounds like your frying bacon when the water goes thru the extractors...
Old 5/29/12, 02:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Ford put those vents in and never considered any of this so it will ruin the motor whenever it rains...
Old 5/29/12, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yeah, Ford put those vents in and never considered any of this so it will ruin the motor whenever it rains...
lol its a conspiracy I tell ya!!
Old 5/29/12, 06:34 PM
GT Member

I noticed at night the outside of my windshield fogs up.
Old 5/29/12, 07:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
This is why I have wrapped my engine in plastic wrap just to be safe
Old 5/29/12, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I will admit since I don't have mine yet I'm curious to see the back of the extractors and how they keep crap out. Maybe some type of screen behind it I'm guessing.
Old 5/29/12, 08:27 PM
GT Member

There's a screen in it.
Old 5/29/12, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
There have been numerous pictures of the underside of the hood with extractors on this forum. There is a shelf that slides directly under the extractors from the inner portion of the hood, creating a gap to the outside edge of the hood and not directly under the extractors. I would guess it acts as a channel to keep any falling water from ending up directly on the engine cover/components. At speed, I would guess they created enough pressure inside the hood that air will be forced out quickly enough so as to prevent a large amount of fall-through.
Old 6/3/12, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Tiger is correct. The hood pad is designed to channel the water over the rear of the inner fender well. I haven't noticed any more dirt or debris buildup in that area than usual.
Old 6/3/12, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wanted33
Tiger is correct. The hood pad is designed to channel the water over the rear of the inner fender well. I haven't noticed any more dirt or debris buildup in that area than usual.
^This
Attached Thumbnails Questions on Heat Extractors-p1070310.jpg  
Old 6/3/12, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
^This
Old 6/3/12, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by cinque35
^This
I second that. As far as functionality goes...if I "enjoy" my car for a few miles and come to a stop I can see the heat ripples coming from those vents so I'm assuming that at least air is coming out of them.
Old 6/3/12, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Form and Function... Gotta love it!
Old 6/3/12, 09:00 PM
GT Member

airoscar, I solved that problem on mine such that no bird on Earth would dare poop on my car. I used one of these:

Old 6/4/12, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MarkAmerica
airoscar, I solved that problem on mine such that no bird on Earth would dare poop on my car. I used one of these:

Old 6/4/12, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkAmerica

I hear ya Mark. I've often wonder many times "if I only had a brain".
Old 11/13/20, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i know this is a dead topic BUT on my 2014 the heat extractors work fine when driving the car you can feel the heat come out of them, if you park the car outside in the rain or wash your car the hood pad will absorb the water and YOU will get grey fuzzy mold on the underside of the hood and if you install a Cold Air Intake make sure you opt for a closed unit type as i had an airaid unit on mine till i went to start the car and it just seemed to turn over and once it started it ran like crap shut it off and it started right up again no issues...fast forward to about 3 weeks after i parked it i figured i would charge the battery up before i put the battery tender on for the winter and noticed about 1/2" water inside the cold air box the air filter was supposed to be purple well it's now covered in black mold so i put the factory air box back in for the winter or until i could get ahold of American Muscle and Airaid so see how to fix this and was told by American Muscle to either buy a new hood without the heat extractors or buy a new Cold Air Intake like the one from K&N gave me part numbers but i thought they would be a little more helpful but i guess selling parts is what they do regardless if the parts have less than 300 miles on them, have yet to hear from Airaid, so pretty much EVERYTHING i bought from AM has been taken out and returned to stock so be cautious of what you purchase and such as the tuner and CAI and my Styling bar(which never showed they sent me an flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust for a 1998 Mustang GT Instead)total cost with shipping to canada was around 1800 dollars,i got 349.99 back as a refund for the styling bar but they have lost me as a customer the car is back to the way i originally bought the car completely stock. buying parts was a waste of money for me but they have a great following just my experience has been a tough pill to swallow

as of right now parts i have in my garage i bought and reverted back to stock
1)Airaid MXP Race cold air intake
2)sct x4 Programmer with 3 custom tunes for my car
3)Flowmaster Outlaw cat-back Exhaust another 1500 dollar mistake
4)MMD Styling bar
5)Blowfish Sound tube delete kit
i have a pile of money in parts just parts were either a little off (Styling bar looks to lean toward the fron to the car when installed), exhaust was way too loud for a daily driver, and the sct was only needed for the CAI

and YES the heat extractors let water and dust drip all over your motor so there is alot of cleanup before shows just sayin'

well there is my rant about the heat extractors and dust continuously need to carry a rag if your going to open your hood will be looking for a new liner in the near future as mold is not my color