2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Questions about Brenspeed tunes

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09 | 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Questions about Brenspeed tunes

Got my SCT X3 tuner from Brenspeed and I have been playing around loading different tunes. But of course I got questions. I called Brenspeed and left a message last week but they have not called me back.

1. does the Brenspeed tunes program the whole ECM or just parts of it. In other words, if one loads the 93 octane tune and then wants to load the 87 octane tune, should one reload the stock tune first and then the 87 tune or can you go from the 93 to 87 tune directly?

2. after you load any tune, the engine will idle strangely for a while until the engines re-adjusts itself, right? And not just idle, but in general it takes a few minutes of driving before the tune "tunes" the engine to take full advantage of the tune, right?

3. why is it when I load the 93 octane tune I get a LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning come on about halfway during the loading? It then goes away when the dowload is complete.

4. what specifily is different between the 87 and 93 octane tunes?

Joe
Old 10/14/09 | 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
Got my SCT X3 tuner from Brenspeed and I have been playing around loading different tunes. But of course I got questions. I called Brenspeed and left a message last week but they have not called me back.

1. does the Brenspeed tunes program the whole ECM or just parts of it. In other words, if one loads the 93 octane tune and then wants to load the 87 octane tune, should one reload the stock tune first and then the 87 tune or can you go from the 93 to 87 tune directly?

2. after you load any tune, the engine will idle strangely for a while until the engines re-adjusts itself, right? And not just idle, but in general it takes a few minutes of driving before the tune "tunes" the engine to take full advantage of the tune, right?

3. why is it when I load the 93 octane tune I get a LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning come on about halfway during the loading? It then goes away when the dowload is complete.

4. what specifily is different between the 87 and 93 octane tunes?

Joe
Sorry for the late response but I can answer some of your questions

1. When switching from tune to tune, you do not need to reload the stock tune before loading a new tune. Just go 93 to 87 etc.

2. Your car should start up and idle perfectly upon start. You do not need to wait for it to adjust.

3. It is typical for different lights to light up during the loading of a tune. This is perfectly fine. You only need to worry if you start throwing codes while running or driving.

4. The 87 octane has the same throttle response and improved drivability as the 93. As the octane grade increase, we add more timing with in turn adds more power.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I do work remotely but am more than happy to get you taken care of. If you are having problems with your tune, let me know.
Old 10/14/09 | 10:46 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
Sorry for the late response but I can answer some of your questions

1. When switching from tune to tune, you do not need to reload the stock tune before loading a new tune. Just go 93 to 87 etc.

2. Your car should start up and idle perfectly upon start. You do not need to wait for it to adjust.

3. It is typical for different lights to light up during the loading of a tune. This is perfectly fine. You only need to worry if you start throwing codes while running or driving.

4. The 87 octane has the same throttle response and improved drivability as the 93. As the octane grade increase, we add more timing with in turn adds more power.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I do work remotely but am more than happy to get you taken care of. If you are having problems with your tune, let me know.
I have also noticed that when changing tunes in my car (07 GT), say from stock to any Brenspeed tune, from one tune to another 87->93 or from a tune to stock that the car will idle for a minute or two slightly rough and as it runs a bit it smooths out. I would say this had something to do with the car being cold but usually I change tunes at gas stations in NH during weekend trips if I cannot get 93 in that area.

I did last week have to go back to the stock air box & tune for an emissions test here in MA, needless to say the car feels quite fat and lazy without the the tune and CAI.

Last edited by 07S197; 10/14/09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10/14/09 | 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, maybe Bama is different but sometimes after I load a tune I'll go for ride, run it up through the gears and then put it in neutral to stop and it will idle at like 2300 RPM's and then settle. It'll do it a few times and then won't happen again unless I change tunes. I've seen others report this same thing.
Old 10/14/09 | 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the feedback. One other thing I am noticing right now if I WOT or just accelerate fast, the engine pulls good till around 3000 - 3500 then it is like a step function and the engine pulls alot stronger, you can feel it very easily. Does the 93 Brenspeed tune "kick in" more around 3500 rpm?

Joe
Old 10/14/09 | 01:16 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Thanks for the feedback. One other thing I am noticing right now if I WOT or just accelerate fast, the engine pulls good till around 3000 - 3500 then it is like a step function and the engine pulls alot stronger, you can feel it very easily. Does the 93 Brenspeed tune "kick in" more around 3500 rpm?

Joe
Same here
Old 10/14/09 | 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Say, I have another question for Brenspeed...one thing that I don' tlike about the GT with the 5 speed man is there isn't alot of engine braking. All my other cars have been pre-computer, when you downshifted, the engine would brake for you and causing a nice popping from the exhaust. I noticed the Mustang's computer must be set not to do alot of engine braking. Can you retune the engine to induce more engine braking? I used to rely on it alot to help slow down and take some wear off the front brakes.

Joe
Old 10/15/09 | 08:27 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Say, I have another question for Brenspeed...one thing that I don' tlike about the GT with the 5 speed man is there isn't alot of engine braking. All my other cars have been pre-computer, when you downshifted, the engine would brake for you and causing a nice popping from the exhaust. I noticed the Mustang's computer must be set not to do alot of engine braking. Can you retune the engine to induce more engine braking? I used to rely on it alot to help slow down and take some wear off the front brakes.

Joe

+1, I wish I had more engine braking too.

Though if you are looking for more "pop" take a look at the FRPP FR500s mufflers. I have them on mine and love the popping i get out of them.