2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Question about sport steering settings.

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/11, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about sport steering settings.

First off I did search for this but all I found was regarding the traction control. I've seen a few guys on here that change the setting to where it says steering sport mode. Is this a new thing for the 12's or can it be done with the 11's too?
Old 3/13/11, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, the 2011's have no such setting. Darn it.
Old 3/13/11, 12:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is right out of the 2011 GT manual,page 213:
default at startup ESC enabled,TCS enabled.

Button pressed momentarily; traction control OFF, ESC enabled,TCS disabled.
Button pressed twice, brakes applied: (sport mode) ESC enabled,TCS enabled.
Button pressed and held more than 5 sec,brakes applied, no throttle, AdvanceTrac Disabled:ESC and TCS both disabled.
Buttton pressed again after deactivation,Advance Trac fully enabled, ESC and TCS both enabled.
OR:
Shutting the car off and restarting will enable full advance trac.
That should clear things up,I found no mention of steering feel changes at all regarding ALL of the above modes.
Old 3/13/11, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I remember seeing some folks who had just gotten their 12's and some pics of the gauge cluster saying steering in either normal, sport etc.
Old 3/13/11, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are conflicting statements about whether the 11's steering changes at all when you put the TCS into Sport mode, but the '12 does indeed have selectable steering. To wit:

Old 3/13/11, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm, I wonder this is something that can be added via a tuner?
Old 3/13/11, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
Hmm, I wonder this is something that can be added via a tuner?
I'm thinking, probably not. There's stuff in the cluster that'd have to be changed as well.
Old 3/13/11, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I'm thinking, probably not. There's stuff in the cluster that'd have to be changed as well.
Yeah, I doubt the PCM (which is what is reprogrammed by a tuner) is tied to the display cluster and it's control buttons. But does the PCM control the electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) system or is it another computer? If the PCM does it, then while you couldn't change the setting by pressing those buttons, perhaps a tune could permanently change the EPAS values. You wouldn't be able to select from the three modes, but most of the hard-core drivers would probably want it to stay permanently in Sport mode anyway. Again, that's IF the PCM controls EPAS.
Old 3/14/11, 01:33 AM

This can be done on the 2011 as well. And it does affect the steering. With traction off steerings feels the same no changes. Hold the brake and press the traction button very quick 2 times and it will read sport mode. Steering feels a bit firmer and not as loose as before. More control in my opinion. Will benefit more on the track than anything else. Hold the brake and the button down for 5 seconds and it turns all the assist off. The car will just really tail out alot. For everyone who owns a 2011 go try it out around the block and u will know what I mean. Trust me u will feel a difference.
Old 3/14/11, 07:20 AM
V6 Member

This is an option for 2012 mustangs & not the 2011s. The 2012 has a new menu option to change the feel of the wheel.

BUT, the steering can still be adjusted in the 2011s, just not in the same way. When you put the 2011 GT into sport mode (as mentioned above, hold the brake down & double tap your traction control button) it will put the stability & traction control into sport mode. You'll also notice the wheel firm up some, especially at low speeds. (The power assist is turned down) You will also get this same feel by turning advancetrac completely off. (Hold down brake & traction control for about 8 seconds[I know the manual says 5, just going on what I've experienced])

Be careful when advancetrac is off. All the nannies are gone & you can lose control of your car.

TL;DR version: it's a new menu option in 2012, but the 2011's have almost the same functionality via turning advancetrac on or off.
Old 3/14/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I am still not sold on this whole idea of the 2011's having the same type of steering dynamics via the traction control button.

If this were the case, Ford would have most likely added that verbage in their manuals. As it was previously mentioned, they don't say anything about the streering.
Old 3/14/11, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
I am still not sold on this whole idea of the 2011's having the same type of steering dynamics via the traction control button.

If this were the case, Ford would have most likely added that verbage in their manuals. As it was previously mentioned, they don't say anything about the streering.
That's my thought, too. Would Ford really build in this feature and keep it a secret? Some drivers can't tell any difference in steering in Sport Mode, and others say it's obvious. I guess when the snow is gone I'll have to play around with Sport Mode and pay special attention to steering feel.
Old 3/16/11, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Norberd

Originally Posted by RandyW
That's my thought, too. Would Ford really build in this feature and keep it a secret? Some drivers can't tell any difference in steering in Sport Mode, and others say it's obvious. I guess when the snow is gone I'll have to play around with Sport Mode and pay special attention to steering feel.
It's a pretty obvious difference in steering feel. I don't know how people could NOT feel it.

It's pretty basic: There's 2 levels of resistance in the steering. For now, I'll call it "easy" and "hard" mode.

Traction control on/Advancetrac on = Easy mode
Traction control off/Advancetrac on = Easy mode
Sport mode = Hard mode
Traction control off/Advancetrac off = Hard mode

They can do this because of the new EPAS system.

I knew something was up with the steering before I even knew about the advancetrac & sport mode. I'm talking first day I noticed the steering feel was changing. I knew that sometimes the steering felt much lighter than others. Eventually I figured it out; it was dependent on whether or not I had advancetrac on. I did some research online & confirmed it. Then I found out about sport mode & tried it out, sure enough it feels the same as turning advancetrac off.

If you don't believe me, go try it yourself. Do this:

Find an empty space.
Turn off advancetrac. (complete stop, hold down the brake, hold down the traction control button until it says "advancetrac off" on your console.)
Now, stay in first gear & drive around at low speed. Make sure to crank the wheel left & right to get a feel for it.
Now, immediately hit the traction control button while still rolling(This will turn advancetrac back on, and it will lighten up your steering feel)
Now crank the wheel back & fourth, it will be much lighter.

It's not hidden.....just undocumented. Like I said, I noticed it on day 1, even tho I didn't understand why or what was causing it.

It seems like on the 2012s they have separated this feature & made it independent of your advancetrac mode. You can now select the wheel feel from the console. Same stuff, different way of activating it.

Last edited by Arak-Nafein; 3/16/11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 3/16/11, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll have to try it out. I've driven around in sport mode but didn't really notice a difference in the steering. Unless I just wasnt paying attention for it.
Old 3/21/11, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got back from a road trip to Pittsburgh (~700mi round trip) and I decided I was gonna put the steering in "comfort" mode on the highway. Lemme tell you something; it is entirely possible, though I don't condone it, that you could do the entire trip steering with your knee. It is that light. Hanging the weight of my arm on the wheel turns it quickly. In "sport" mode doing that does nothing whatsoever.

Still it managed to not feel over-boosted or artificial, just like it had 0 weight over the front axle. It was still direct and responsive. I am simply amazed at how well Ford has managed to calibrate the steering feel on the car in all three modes.

My only quibbles about the car are the stupid orientation of the head rests, the stupid placement of the cup holders, and the fact that the on-board NAV will not display your current speed (as the speedo's about bloody useless).
Old 3/21/11, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Just got back from a road trip to Pittsburgh (~700mi round trip) and I decided I was gonna put the steering in "comfort" mode on the highway. Lemme tell you something; it is entirely possible, though I don't condone it, that you could do the entire trip steering with your knee. It is that light. Hanging the weight of my arm on the wheel turns it quickly. In "sport" mode doing that does nothing whatsoever.

Still it managed to not feel over-boosted or artificial, just like it had 0 weight over the front axle. It was still direct and responsive. I am simply amazed at how well Ford has managed to calibrate the steering feel on the car in all three modes.

My only quibbles about the car are the stupid orientation of the head rests, the stupid placement of the cup holders, and the fact that the on-board NAV will not display your current speed (as the speedo's about bloody useless).
It's time to get one of those gizmos that monitors all the parameters of the car.
Anyone with one installed in their 11's ! I'd be interested in getting one.
Old 3/23/11, 10:33 AM
GT Member

wow I'm going to have to try this tonight....
Old 3/25/11, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Can one keep the traction control on while still having the Sport steering setting on? If so, how?
Old 3/25/11, 11:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
.................................................. .....................
Old 3/26/11, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

This was a feature that some early reviewers of 2011s saw in the display... Just like the home link... And vanished at the last minute.

I drive in sport mode on the highway in my 2011 just for the sport steering. If you're not convinced... Swing the wheel back and forth slightly with one finger as you engage sport mode... It tightens right up. It's the same exact feel as the 2012 I drove set to sport.