Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pros and Cons doing 275/40/19 on brembo wheels

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/11, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and Cons doing 275/40/19 on brembo wheels

I'm thinking of upgrading my tires soon so I need some suggestions.

First, what are some pros and cons of doing 275/40/19 all around? I'm not sure if anyone is running this setup and if they have any rubbing up front. (or 275/35/19)

My second thing is to just leave the front 255/40/19 and do 275/40/19 in the rear. Would this change the cars setup at all?

Would I need to recalibrate the speedo? I don't think so, but I'm also not very educated when it comes to tires.

Third part is some tire suggestions. I think the P's are nice but they wear out pretty quick. I need a good tire that will handle very well both in rain and summer. What are some good options here?
Old 5/3/11, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just don't want to pay 400+ a tire. That's an outrage, I know they are good but not for 400, I have a set of bfgoodrich mud t/a 35-12.5r15 and they were way cheaper, like 200 bucks each cheaper. And don't get me wrong I'm not a cheap skate and I like good rubber but there ha to be a more affordable tire that compares to the P's
Old 5/3/11, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be going with the hancook ventus v12 when my brembo tires wear out.
Old 5/3/11, 08:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The 275's will be a little bit taller, making your speedometer read a little slower than you are actually going. I would do the 275's on the rear only. I'll be replacing my Pirelli P-Zero's with a less expensive all season performance tire when they wear out - likely 255's and 275's front and rear.
Old 5/3/11, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I'll be going with the hancook ventus v12 when my brembo tires wear out.

Me too.....$700/4 at tirerack. This is an excellent tire me and my car buddies have run on other cars.. I think between the 3 of us we've bought 4 sets..
Old 5/3/11, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Modshack
Me too.....$700/4 at tirerack. This is an excellent tire me and my car buddies have run on other cars.. I think between the 3 of us we've bought 4 sets..
Hmm, I heard its a bit sluggish compared to Nittos and P's. Might check them out too.
Old 5/3/11, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

From a strict pro/con it's pretty easy actually.

On the pro side, you get a bump in your section width and total contact patch. The way the front suspension is designed on mustangs, they really like as much grip as possible. This means going with as wide of a tire as possible at all 4 corners. I believe Sam Strano was running a 285 up front on an 8.5" wheel on his autocross S197.

From a handling perspective, you'll gain grip, but with the tire seated differently on the wheel, you're going to lose a little bit of initial turn in. Stretching the tire on to the wheel as Ford does with the S197 chassis cars helps turn in and creates a more aggressive steering wheel.

Going to a 275 you're no longer stretching the the tire on to the wheel. You're going to gain grip and road holding at the expense of a bit of turn in and steering feel.

Wide tires also tend to tram line on road surfaces worse. So you're probably going to run in to that as well.

The stock tires on the brembo package already provide quite a bit of grip. For every day driving in a non competitive setting my own opinion would be to stay with the stock sized tires.

If you need that extra grip, certainly go for it. Or heck even if you just like the look of a wider tire.

On doing a staggered set, you can really change the driving dynamics of the car when doing this. Theses cars are setup pretty neutral from the factory. Going with a wider tire in the rear is going to inhibit a bit more understeer as you've added grip in the rear vs the front. So you've gone from neutral to plowing in the corners. Again though, not something you're going to notice in day to day driving. For track purposes you're going to want to run a matched set of tires front and rear.
Old 5/3/11, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlmounce
From a strict pro/con it's pretty easy actually.

On the pro side, you get a bump in your section width and total contact patch. The way the front suspension is designed on mustangs, they really like as much grip as possible. This means going with as wide of a tire as possible at all 4 corners. I believe Sam Strano was running a 285 up front on an 8.5" wheel on his autocross S197.

From a handling perspective, you'll gain grip, but with the tire seated differently on the wheel, you're going to lose a little bit of initial turn in. Stretching the tire on to the wheel as Ford does with the S197 chassis cars helps turn in and creates a more aggressive steering wheel.

Going to a 275 you're no longer stretching the the tire on to the wheel. You're going to gain grip and road holding at the expense of a bit of turn in and steering feel.

Wide tires also tend to tram line on road surfaces worse. So you're probably going to run in to that as well.

The stock tires on the brembo package already provide quite a bit of grip. For every day driving in a non competitive setting my own opinion would be to stay with the stock sized tires.

If you need that extra grip, certainly go for it. Or heck even if you just like the look of a wider tire.

On doing a staggered set, you can really change the driving dynamics of the car when doing this. Theses cars are setup pretty neutral from the factory. Going with a wider tire in the rear is going to inhibit a bit more understeer as you've added grip in the rear vs the front. So you've gone from neutral to plowing in the corners. Again though, not something you're going to notice in day to day driving. For track purposes you're going to want to run a matched set of tires front and rear.
Thanks for the reply. The car is strictly DD with no track purposes. I just want a little more meat since the factory tires look skinny. I would also like to improve the grip a little better, especially in rain. I do not want to sacrifice the ride since it's pretty decent as is. I would like it mainly for appearance (either 275 all around or just staggered.) but at the same time I don't want to lose the stability I currently have.
Old 5/3/11, 10:43 AM
GTR Member

This always helps:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Looks like you should be fine.
Old 5/3/11, 01:32 PM

Run 255s on front to help with turn in, etc. and run the 275s in the back with a bigger rear sway bar to either make the car more neutral again, or if it is big enough take away even more understeer and add some oversteer.
Old 5/3/11, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

I'm a big fan of running a non staggered set up. Makes the tire last longer due to rotation ability. Especially with how much i predict the rears will wear faster than the front

I'll probably go with a 265/40/19 when i need to replace mine.

EDIT: Neverming on the 265. Hancook doesnt make a tire in that size. 275 it is!

Last edited by LEwis26; 5/3/11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 7/27/12, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Question

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
Run 255s on front to help with turn in, etc. and run the 275s in the back with a bigger rear sway bar to either make the car more neutral again, or if it is big enough take away even more understeer and add some oversteer.
What size of rear sway bar will you need to bring back the neutral feeling with the 245/275 stagered set up on 9 X 19 brembo wheels?
Old 8/2/12, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
Which tire do you recommend for the rear'35s or'40s. And for a neutral handling with 275 staggered, Which size rear sway bar do you recommend?
Old 8/2/12, 09:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
I'm thinking of upgrading my tires soon so I need some suggestions.

First, what are some pros and cons of doing 275/40/19 all around? I'm not sure if anyone is running this setup and if they have any rubbing up front. (or 275/35/19)

My second thing is to just leave the front 255/40/19 and do 275/40/19 in the rear. Would this change the cars setup at all?

Would I need to recalibrate the speedo? I don't think so, but I'm also not very educated when it comes to tires.

Third part is some tire suggestions. I think the P's are nice but they wear out pretty quick. I need a good tire that will handle very well both in rain and summer. What are some good options here?

I am running 275/40/R19 all around on my 2011 Brembo GT.

I have stock suspension, ZERO rubbing issues. Sure I paid a little more for my wider tires up front, but I can rotate them, and they last a hell of alot longer that way. Looks better too, but thats just my opinion.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires, so far they have lasted 46,000 miles with half spirited, half conservative country and city driving. As of today they have maybe 15,000 miles left on them before considering new tires. I kept my Pirellis, but so far have not found a reason to use them for every day driving. My mustang is a daily driver, I've got the pirellis mounted on some black ford racing brembos for any random track days i care to join in.

As for the speedometer calibration, it was almost negligible on my car. maybe 1 or 2 mph off (faster) when the speedo reads 70
Old 8/3/12, 11:38 AM

Just go with the Michelin Pilot SuperSports and call it a day.. I have the V12's now and they suck