2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"Premium Fuel Only" sticker on 2010 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/10, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Question "Premium Fuel Only" sticker on 2010 GT?

When I took my new-to-me 2010 GT to the pumps the first time, I got a surprise -- there is a sticker that says "Premium Fuel Only" (actually two of them -- one by the fill hole shown the pic, another one on the back of the fuel door)

I was surprised by this because I know the 2010 GT can run on any normal gas, 87 - 93 Octane or up, and it adjusts for the octane that is has.

I am also concerned because I am wondering it this is an aftermarket sticker; which would mean that the dealer did not disclose (or maybe doesn't know) that the car has had a high-octane tune; and I want to make sure I don't get into trouble with my factory warranty (it has almost two years remaining on the bumper-to-bumper)

When I asked the dealer, they said "premium fuel is recommended, not required, and the car has not had a "tune" (it does have an aftermarket Rousch cold air intake, but they say it has no other mods)

So -- my question is -- do all 2010 GT's have this sticker from the factory, or is this an aftermarket sticker that I need to investigate?
Attached Images  
Old 5/16/10, 06:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, no sticker on them from the factory, only one that says "Unleaded Fuel Only".

I would suspect that it has, or had a tune due to the Roush inlet.
Old 5/16/10, 06:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Nope, no sticker on them from the factory, only one that says "Unleaded Fuel Only".

I would suspect that it has, or had a tune due to the Roush inlet.
thanks for the quick reply, that was my suspicion as well . . . so now I'm wondering whether I need to be concerned about hassles with the warranty . . . and what else they didn't tell me . . . and whether I can trust anything they told me, since they've repeatedly told me regular gas is OK, in fact they probably put regular in it

Last edited by Bert; 5/16/10 at 06:24 PM. Reason: more
Old 5/16/10, 06:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Nope, no sticker on them from the factory, only one that says "Unleaded Fuel Only". I would suspect that it has, or had a tune due to the Roush inlet.
+1. It's a 50/50 chance you have an aftermarket tune. I'd be real careful and find out who wrote the tune, then get an SCT or Diablo tuner with a compatable tune that you can load at will. The other option would be to get a "no tune required" CAI and get the dealer to reflash it to stock.
Old 5/16/10, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[QUOTE=WaltM;5870994 . . . The other option would be to get a "no tune required" CAI and get the dealer to reflash it to stock.[/QUOTE]

hmmmm . . . so you are saying that the Roush CAI "requires" the tune; I can't just flash it back to stock with the Roush CAI?

The other wrinkle to this is that I won't be having the car serviced at the dealer where I bought it, because they are too far away. So I'm worried that I may have hassles with the Ford warranty due to the tune.
Old 5/16/10, 06:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the car stock under the hood? Usually those stickers come with supercharger kits.

If 100% stock underhood you could have the dealer flash your ECM to stock to make sure it has the factory tune.
Old 5/16/10, 06:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bert
The other wrinkle to this is that I won't be having the car serviced at the dealer where I bought it, because they are too far away. So I'm worried that I may have hassles with the Ford warranty due to the tune.
There's no real way to tell if the tune is special or standard, I'm basing my comment on the stickers; which you can't ignore. If it were my car, I'd get a CAI so you can control what kind of tune you load. The cheapest way to solve the problem is to get a stock, BBK or K&N intake setup and have the dealer install and reflash to stock; any dealer can do that.
Old 5/16/10, 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmhines
Is the car stock under the hood? Usually those stickers come with supercharger kits.

If 100% stock underhood you could have the dealer flash your ECM to stock to make sure it has the factory tune.
Not 100% stock, has Roush CAI.

You can contact Roush and see what they have to offer on the subject.
Old 5/16/10, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2010 Roush CAI is advertised as no tune required. I know a guy that put one on his 2010 specifically because he didn't want a CAI that needed a tune.
Old 5/17/10, 04:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the input guys.

This is the Roush CAI:

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1287

Like dmhines said, it is advertised to not require a tune -- so I guess it is as simple as flashing it back to the standard tune if I'm worried about it.

But I am still going to try to talk to the previous owner to find out more, and will also talk with a couple local dealers to find out about the warranty question.
Old 5/17/10, 05:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Like dmhines said, it is advertised to not require a tune -- so I guess it is as simple as flashing it back to the standard tune if I'm worried about it...
If it's a no tune required cai, then the tune was never altered, so no reflash would be necessary. My concern would be about those stickers. If you can contact the previous owner, do it.
Old 5/17/10, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm thinking that even though the tune is not required for that CAI, they did one anyway, and that's why they put the stickers on. Hopefully I will be able to talk to the previous owner very soon, like today.

The dealer says there was no tune . . . but they also say that those stickers are standard on 2010 GT's, so that gives me a clue about the reliability of their information.
Old 5/17/10, 06:52 AM

I don't think you'll have any issues with warranty.

I've taken my car in for warranty work plenty of times.. I have an intake, tune, CMCV deletes, and no catalytic converters.. they have never caused my car to break down, so there's no reason to deny warranty work.
Old 5/17/10, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks Steve, that is my real concern . . . I bought a performance car so of course I'm good with performance improvements, not really wound up over having to buy premium gas . . . I think I'll check with a couple local Ford dealer service depts too.
Old 5/17/10, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

thanks Steve, that is my real concern . . . I bought a performance car so of course I'm good with performance improvements, not really wound up over having to buy premium gas . . . I think I'll check with a couple local Ford dealer service depts too.

Be careful. My dealer was a real pr!ck. I bought my car used from them w/Flowmaster axlebacks. I took it back for a warranty exhaust TSB and they refused to perform the work because of the Flowmasters.
Old 5/17/10, 09:18 AM

Mine has FR cai and the FR tune, I have the little stickers saying 91 only
Old 5/17/10, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I took my new-to-me 2010 GT to the pumps the first time, I got a surprise -- there is a sticker that says "Premium Fuel Only" (actually two of them -- one by the fill hole shown the pic, another one on the back of the fuel door)
Minds think alike. I made labels for my filler door for 91 Octane after installing a 91 tune and CAI. Just in case some one besides me filled it. States like Oregon mandate only an attendant can fuel cars. Or the car wash. Or maybe me having a brain fart. Good bet the car has or had a performance tune in it.

Last edited by Cusp; 5/17/10 at 01:02 PM.