Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Practicality of a staggered setup for me. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/14, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practicality of a staggered setup for me. What do you think?

So my car is a daily driver, I drive it year-round and it will be going on road trips. I understand they can't be rotated so I will be going through tires at a faster pace and that's fine. I prefer the staggered look. I'm just not sure it makes sense for how I drive it. What do you think? Is there anything else I need to consider between standard and staggered? Thanks.
Old 3/19/14, 11:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If you can afford it, I'm not really sure what other considerations there are. You live in the north, so I'm sure you either garage it or drive it on winter tires, so you'll spend more, possibly a lot more on tires. Other than that, maybe mileage, but that can be massaged.
Old 3/19/14, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think you nailed it. If your car is a DD the only advantage you get is the look. And the major disadvantage is inability to rotate properly. There are benefits to staggered fit for racing applications if you upgrade your rear sway bar to take advantage of more rear end grip. If you're only doing it for the look my opinion is that it's not really worth it.
Old 3/19/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I'm under the impression that a staggered setup is typically for summer only and show cars. Is that accurate?
Old 3/19/14, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I think you nailed it. If your car is a DD the only advantage you get is the look. And the major disadvantage is inability to rotate properly. There are benefits to staggered fit for racing applications if you upgrade your rear sway bar to take advantage of more rear end grip. If you're only doing it for the look my opinion is that it's not really worth it.
Definitely not a track car. It would be strictly to achieve a preferred look.
Old 3/19/14, 11:26 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
So my car is a daily driver, I drive it year-round and it will be going on road trips. I understand they can't be rotated so I will be going through tires at a faster pace and that's fine. I prefer the staggered look. I'm just not sure it makes sense for how I drive it. What do you think? Is there anything else I need to consider between standard and staggered? Thanks.
You have a rwd sports car. There is truly no advantage to rotating your tires. I've driven rwd cars all my life and do not rotate my tires on any of my vehicles. They don't last longer by rotating them. Rotating just makes you buy 4 tires at once instead of just two. Keep your alignment checked once a year and replace your tires in pairs. The staggered look is great and you get to have a wider tire out back which is a necessity anyways. There are no negatives to running staggered but there are a couple advantages.
Old 3/19/14, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
I guess I'm under the impression that a staggered setup is typically for summer only and show cars. Is that accurate?
Nope. The mustangs come with tires too narrow out back. Ask any Shelby owner. If you guys are rotating your tires on mustangs, you're just wasting your money and time.
FWD cars, yes rotate them.
Old 3/19/14, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Great input. Thanks guys.
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
for a daily driver: if you like the look then go for it. i have staggered insofar at 9" wide in front and 10" backs. I wish i had 19 front and 20 out back too, but rims are harder to buy in sets staggered like that.
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Nope. The mustangs come with tires too narrow out back. Ask any Shelby owner. If you guys are rotating your tires on mustangs, you're just wasting your money and time.
FWD cars, yes rotate them.
Uh...yup. It's why I'm on 315's out back.
Old 3/19/14, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Uh...yup. It's why I'm on 315's out back.
What tires are you running out back?
Old 3/19/14, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

What tires are you running out back?
Toyo 888's right now. They're better than the 555R's I took off earlier this year. Those things just didn't want to hook up, even when warm. Too greasy through 2nd and 3rd. I've put about 2k miles on these 888's and they're better.
Old 3/19/14, 11:54 AM

Toyo 888's right now. They're better than the 555R's I took off earlier this year. Those things just didn't want to hook up, even when warm. Too greasy through 2nd and 3rd. I've put about 2k miles on these 888's and they're better.
Better at take off or cornering? Or both?
I need to order two rears soon and I'm shopping.
Old 3/19/14, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You have a rwd sports car. There is truly no advantage to rotating your tires. I've driven rwd cars all my life and do not rotate my tires on any of my vehicles. They don't last longer by rotating them. Rotating just makes you buy 4 tires at once instead of just two. Keep your alignment checked once a year and replace your tires in pairs. The staggered look is great and you get to have a wider tire out back which is a necessity anyways. There are no negatives to running staggered but there are a couple advantages.
No true advantage, what if you run more then stock camber and want to make sure you wear the tires out evenly?
Old 3/19/14, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
No true advantage, what if you run more then stock camber and want to make sure you wear the tires out evenly?
If you run more than stock camber, you won't save the tires by rotating them. All 4 will wear out on the inside at the same rate. Then you buy 4 at the same time. Don't rotate, you buy two in half of that time. There is no advantage. Just twice the money in twice the time. This is your only advantage if you call it that.
Staggered advantages: Wider rear tires giving you better rear traction. Great staggered look. Buying two tires at a time instead of four.
Old 3/19/14, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Better at take off or cornering? Or both?
I need to order two rears soon and I'm shopping.
Well they're not drag radials, so I can't vouch for them on the strip. But launch with these is much more dependable, much harder. If they're warm, they don't get greasy until I get too far into the throttle (and at 650whp, there is such a thing). I get a lot more power to the ground with them. Cornering isn't even close. I was shocked how well they take corners hard, because I tried several times to break them loose coming out of a turn and I was putting down a lot more power than I thought it would take. They're pricey and naturally they wear fast, but they're worth every penny to me. I'll be ordering another set as soon as these go bald and I'll save the old ones for track days.
Old 3/19/14, 02:44 PM

Well they're not drag radials, so I can't vouch for them on the strip. But launch with these is much more dependable, much harder. If they're warm, they don't get greasy until I get too far into the throttle (and at 650whp, there is such a thing). I get a lot more power to the ground with them. Cornering isn't even close. I was shocked how well they take corners hard, because I tried several times to break them loose coming out of a turn and I was putting down a lot more power than I thought it would take. They're pricey and naturally they wear fast, but they're worth every penny to me. I'll be ordering another set as soon as these go bald and I'll save the old ones for track days.
Well I don't plan on drag racing mine at least not at the track. The Nittos hook well in 2nd and 3rd. If the Toyos will do the same I may give them a try. The R888 is a road race tire so I was really concerned with the normal hook with this kind of power. Couldn't imagine they would be much worse than Nitto drags.
Old 3/19/14, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well I don't plan on drag racing mine at least not at the track. The Nittos hook well in 2nd and 3rd. If the Toyos will do the same I may give them a try. The R888 is a road race tire so I was really concerned with the normal hook with this kind of power. Couldn't imagine they would be much worse than Nitto drags.
Yeah, I went with them specifically because they're road course tires. I know, I'm a weirdo for wanting to make a Shelby turn.
Old 3/19/14, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I went with them specifically because they're road course tires. I know, I'm a weirdo for wanting to make a Shelby turn.
Lol. My car turns great just doesn't hook well on launch.
Old 3/19/14, 10:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I just started driving on my staggered setup this week. I got my setup purely for aesthetic purposes. I have no intention to track or drag it. Lastly, my car is not a dd.

And yes, I love the staggered look.

Quick Reply: Practicality of a staggered setup for me. What do you think?