2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Power Potential?

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/09 | 07:37 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
When I said "replace the heads" I was refering to the piston heads.
I've never heard of it referred to as a piston "head."
Old 9/13/09 | 07:41 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

More people are interested in lower than higher compression. The majority of cars sold will always be a motor and I would say the s/c to all motor ratio would be an easy 5:1, I can see an option on a "limited production" car maybe but I seriously doubt 11:1 to many problems, mainly cost of having to run 91 or 93 octane, and no way it will go to 7k rpm.
Old 9/14/09 | 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
More people are interested in lower than higher compression. The majority of cars sold will always be a motor and I would say the s/c to all motor ratio would be an easy 5:1, I can see an option on a "limited production" car maybe but I seriously doubt 11:1 to many problems, mainly cost of having to run 91 or 93 octane, and no way it will go to 7k rpm.
I see your point about the 11:1 CR. The Camaro LS3 is running 10.7 and Chevy recommends premium. Regarding the 7K rpm, I think it will be very close to that. The older Cobras (99 to 02) had a 6800 rpm redline. Even the Mach 1 with manual tranny had a 6800 rpm redline. Ford will hopefully throw a forged crank in there anyway.
Old 9/14/09 | 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I forgot to mention, my Lincoln has a 10.75 CR and I've used 89 octane for the last 5 years. No pinning or anything. I'm guessing the newer engines can pull some timing if there's a problem.
Old 9/14/09 | 10:34 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Your using special additions as comparisons thoughs, cobras and machs aren't main stream my friend. The crank isn't your enemy as the 3v has a nice one capable of that RPM, rods and pistons not to mention valve train can't handle it. Every extra dollar spent corelates into the overall cost of the car that a lot won't pay considering what a fully loaded GT goes for these days. Sure they CAN run on 87, but it can cause issues that I don't think Ford would be willing to risk.
Old 9/14/09 | 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

I think that the new 5.0 will pack enough power to dominate the Camaro SS and Challenger RT/SRT8. The 2010 Mustang GT is already close to both, so I don't think it'll take much for the 5.0 to beat them.
Old 9/14/09 | 11:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Stock for Stock yes but will it give the same gains in HP when modding begins as the Camaro does? Would it not be great to gain a lot more rwhp with just some basic bolt ons and not have to SC?
Old 9/14/09 | 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your using special additions as comparisons thoughs, cobras and machs aren't main stream my friend. The crank isn't your enemy as the 3v has a nice one capable of that RPM, rods and pistons not to mention valve train can't handle it. Every extra dollar spent corelates into the overall cost of the car that a lot won't pay considering what a fully loaded GT goes for these days. Sure they CAN run on 87, but it can cause issues that I don't think Ford would be willing to risk.

From what I’ve heard the compression ratio (was/is) 11.8 and premium fuel is recommended but not required. I also believe the new engine has extra knock sensors for when running different octane.
So, different fuel different power ratings, I think it’s more than likely they will use the power rating when using premium.
Old 9/14/09 | 01:36 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Actually, I'm going to leave this argument alone now. Can you see Ford making a car that they can't factory supercharge without major modification or insane octane? When have they ever done that?

-Robert

Last edited by EagleStroker; 9/14/09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 9/14/09 | 02:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Its an interesting topic. A lot of people have long critisized Ford for not offering competitive power naturally aspirated vs the competition. This is and has been for years now that we're sporting a fairly significantly smaller engine than they are. Sub 5 liter vs 5.8+ liter competition. While raising the bar to 5.0 will close that gap, it sure isn't going to eclipse it. I think Ford is betting the farm on achieving that 400 number naturally aspirated, and to do so with a small engine is going to require a fairly high CR I believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come in around 10.5/1 or so. This gives the blower boys a little room, but lets the naturally aspirated people still achieve pretty good numbers without tearing it down to replace pistons etc.
Old 9/14/09 | 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, I'm going to leave this argument alone now. Can you see Ford making a car that they can't factory supercharge without major modification or insane octane? When have they ever done that?

-Robert

Not an agument, This is the news and rumors section so things can change very quickly.

In response to you pre-edited post, have you seen the compression ratio on E92 M3 (12.0.) no direct injection 4.2 v8?

Here's some more info on the engine.

Originally Posted by I
think this 'revised' modular may surprise many. First it's TiVCT -- Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing, a proven Ford tech on Ford-Europe DOHC I-4s but never before built into a Ford DOHC V8 to my knowledge. TiVCT provides much broader and flatter torque curves, more effective anti-detonation management, and better efficiency than a typical NA engine would otherwise be capable of.

I think the StangNet comment on compression is valid for a conventional engine but might not be as much of a problem on a TiVCT engine since independently variable intake and exhaust cams should permit programming for high static compression ratios with better detonation control. So additional boost, done right, should not be a problem, imo. This is new stuff! Too bad it's not also Direct Injection (DI) -- or at least there's no mention of it -- since DI would greatly improve the ability to manage detonation for two reasons: 1) there's no fuel in the cylinder during compression (it's injected at the last instant) and 2) DI directly cools the combustion chamber just when detonation would otherwise be likely to occur (at max compression). I'm sure DI is coming but maybe not just yet. Still 400HP in a volume-build 5.0 TiVCT DOHC V8 in the GT will be one smokin' value!!!

There are so many 5.0 variations recently (and over the years) that you need a playbill to keep 'em straight:

-There's the old (and Boss redux version) of the 5.0 pushrod SBFs that were highly oversquare (4.0"bore 3.0"stroke).
-There's the FR500C modular DOHC 5.0 "cammer" which uses Ford spray-bore metalurgy liner technology to get from the effectively square 4.6 (3.552 bore x 3.543 stroke) to 5.0 via bore alone yielding a slightly oversquare engine that likes to rev a bit freer.
-Then there's the PJ Saleen which, although Saleen hones the cylinders for truness, actually gets to 5.0 with all stroke, i.e. it winds up a little under-square.
-My understanding is that the Coyote is different than all the predecessors: a revised and strengthened roughly 'square' design like the 4.6 but using thinner conventional cylinder liners (2.5mm vs the 4.6's 4.0mm) to increase bore about .10" and also slightly longer sleeve to accommodate about .10" stroke increase yielding approx a 3.65" x 3.63" B/S.

These were very likely the 2.5mm-liner alloy blocks I spied on the Romeo volume floor -- though they're to be produced at Windsor according to StangNet and that's consistent with what I've heard too.

How cool is this? A volume-build 5.0L TiVCT DOHC V8 with 400HP flatter torque curve, better mileage (11:1 comp. and TiVCT should be good for a couple mpg), and carrying a modest GT price tag is huge, imo!!! And at 3500 lbs it will kick Camaro's 6.2/430HP and Challenger's 6.2/475HP fat butts from NY to LA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif) (...and there's always the GT500 for serious fun which likely get's a tweak for '10MY as well).

The 5.0 Coyote in the GT could be the best performance value in a very long time -- I bet Ford will have to limit the build-mix because these puppies are going to sell!!! I strongly suspect it will also be a multi-octane engine happily running on a default of 87 octane since Ford is committed to all enignes getting the new ECU programming asap ...and with TiVCT it just makes that much more sense, imo.

Will be interesting to see exactly what internals Ford stuffs in the Coyote. I suspect the GT will cracked-powder rods, aluminum hypereutectics and beefier cast crank. However, a Romeo special production-blueprinted version with forged internals might make for a sweet BOSS SE, don't you think? ...if Ford ever actually does one! Still, the '10MY Coyote GT sure sounds like the poor-man's BOSS many have been hoping for!

Last edited by TTS197; 9/14/09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 9/14/09 | 03:25 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by TTS197
Not an agument, This is the news and rumors section so things can change very quickly.

In response to you pre-edited post, have you seen the compression ratio on E92 M3 (12.0.) no direct injection 4.2 v8?

Here's some more info on the engine.
Have you seen the price tag on an E92 M3? Have you seen someone ever trying to run anything but premium fuel in an E92 M3? That's an apples and oranges argument my friend. No one looking at a Mustang GT is going to say "hey, I'm going to spend another $30k and get a beemer."

I would LOVE to see what we are talking about, but I personally think it's a bad move for Ford. Ford has always been good at drawing the conservative line and keeping not just one but every group fairly content. There is an aftermarket for a reason, and the way FRPP has been improving who knows what they'll come up with next.
Old 9/14/09 | 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I see your point and hopefully we'll see some good numbers by the end of the year. I remember reading somewhere the valve train is good for 6800 rpm on the GT. If the crank isn't holding you back, the rest of the engine should hang in there to 6800 rpm. The rods and pistons are the same as those used in those Cobras and the Mach 1, they just had forged cranks.
Old 9/14/09 | 04:03 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I see your point and hopefully we'll see some good numbers by the end of the year. I remember reading somewhere the valve train is good for 6800 rpm on the GT. If the crank isn't holding you back, the rest of the engine should hang in there to 6800 rpm. The rods and pistons are the same as those used in those Cobras and the Mach 1, they just had forged cranks.
I'm not familiar with the Mach's as much, but the Termi's had Manley rods. I hope you guys don't take it as me being a dick about this, I just want to point out both sides of the equation!
Old 9/14/09 | 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

well hopefully we get the best of both worlds.
Old 9/14/09 | 05:02 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by I
think this 'revised' modular may surprise many. First it's TiVCT -- Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing, a proven Ford tech on Ford-Europe DOHC I-4s but never before built into a Ford DOHC V8 to my knowledge. TiVCT provides much broader and flatter torque curves, more effective anti-detonation management, and better efficiency than a typical NA engine would otherwise be capable of.[/quote]

While I am fascinated with the 3V and its increased flow without increased 4 cam drag, and VCT has been effective to an extent, you can only do so much when in/ex lobes are on the same cam. This TiVCT would provide much more flexibility in engine management at various rpm's - ranging from improved emissions at the low end, to increased power with in/ex overlap for better scavenging at higher revs. The old "5th cycle". Sounds cool!

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/14/09 at 05:04 PM.
Old 9/14/09 | 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Its an interesting topic. A lot of people have long critisized Ford for not offering competitive power naturally aspirated vs the competition. This is and has been for years now that we're sporting a fairly significantly smaller engine than they are. Sub 5 liter vs 5.8+ liter competition. While raising the bar to 5.0 will close that gap, it sure isn't going to eclipse it. I think Ford is betting the farm on achieving that 400 number naturally aspirated, and to do so with a small engine is going to require a fairly high CR I believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come in around 10.5/1 or so. This gives the blower boys a little room, but lets the naturally aspirated people still achieve pretty good numbers without tearing it down to replace pistons etc.
I wouldn't be suprised to see it higher than 10.5:1 as my current car is that, and its an econobox.
Old 9/14/09 | 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have you seen the price tag on an E92 M3? Have you seen someone ever trying to run anything but premium fuel in an E92 M3? That's an apples and oranges argument my friend. No one looking at a Mustang GT is going to say "hey, I'm going to spend another $30k and get a beemer."

I would LOVE to see what we are talking about, but I personally think it's a bad move for Ford. Ford has always been good at drawing the conservative line and keeping not just one but every group fairly content. There is an aftermarket for a reason, and the way FRPP has been improving who knows what they'll come up with next.

I brought up the engine as reference to your responds of a high compression factory engine and also for a perspective as of what direction ford may take,
The 30k difference in price is not just for an engine and I don’t recall ever mentioning (Mustang customer base) cross shopping to a BMW, however I do think that once the new power train hits other bases may cross shop to the Mustang.

I’m no fan of High CR but it’s clear that ford is moving forward in this route. Now, I can tell you that the 11.8 CR was with DI so this could have changed.
Old 9/14/09 | 08:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

My bet? I've said it before and I will say it again, the 5.0L V8 will be capable of over 500hp at the crank on premium unleaded without a power adder and without removing a cam cover. Could I be wrong? Of course I could......happneed five times before breakfast this morning......but I wouldn;t bet on it in this particular instance. This will be the best smallblock V8 built by anybody, anywhere, ever....believe it.
Old 9/14/09 | 08:56 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by TTS197
I brought up the engine as reference to your responds of a high compression factory engine and also for a perspective as of what direction ford may take,
The 30k difference in price is not just for an engine and I don’t recall ever mentioning (Mustang customer base) cross shopping to a BMW, however I do think that once the new power train hits other bases may cross shop to the Mustang.

I’m no fan of High CR but it’s clear that ford is moving forward in this route. Now, I can tell you that the 11.8 CR was with DI so this could have changed.
I understood where you were coming from, but understand where I'm coming from. BMW has been pushing big power out of little motors for a long time. I can't see FOMOCO going out on a limb for a high compression platform V8 that's the flagship of their entire V8 line of motors. Seems risky, and judging by their attempts at it with the newer diesels I'm not looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Power Potential?