2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

From Popeye the Sailor Man!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/11, 07:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what is job 1 and job 2?
Old 8/4/11, 08:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by blk12vert
Old 8/4/11, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryT

Popcorn at 7am too early
Old 8/4/11, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Popcorn at 7am too early
But I'm eating it with beer.
Old 8/4/11, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Who wants to call this dealer? :P
Old 8/4/11, 08:48 AM
GT Member

I think Popeye is the same guy that said his stock engine blew and was later found to have a tune from another post.
Old 8/4/11, 08:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blk12vert
Someone can probably be more specific but I believe that model years are typically divided up into Job 1 and 2. Some retooling or minor changes are sometimes made during the shut down week in the summer before job 2 begins.

In this case, it sounds like a tuning problem MAY have been found and corrected.

Based on the dates in your signature, I'm all but positive that you would be covered by this change if it exists.
Old 8/4/11, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
More from Popeye

SPRINGFIELD FORD,,,,, 2 autos, one manual. All three cars were confirmed to be bone stock. One block is actually cracked. I don't care if you a holes believe it or not but it is very real. Job 2 cars are not showing up due to more fuel being added to that bank.
If true that Ford changed the richness to save #8, it makes no sense that they would not have notified all job 1 owners a long time ago to bring their car in for a reflash.
Old 8/4/11, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
If true that Ford changed the richness to save #8, it makes no sense that they would not have notified all job 1 owners a long time ago to bring their car in for a reflash.
This. Makes no sense that they would keep it hush hush like this.
Old 8/4/11, 09:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
This. Makes no sense that they would keep it hush hush like this.
They may not want to risk showing knowledge of the problem as this implies responsibility...and they'll lose their plausible deniability.
Old 8/4/11, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
They may not want to risk showing knowledge of the problem as this implies responsibility...and they'll lose their plausible deniability.
Exactly, they're doing the same thing they kept trying to do with the diesels.
Old 8/4/11, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Why do you guys want to beleive this is some kind of big Ford conspiracy? You can't accept that maybe some of these tuner shops just might have made some bad tunes for an new engine design that they have no experience tuning?

Of course the tuner shops are going to point the finger at Ford and deny that their tunes might be at fault, Ford has the biggest pockets!
Old 8/4/11, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

19Cobra93 (works at a Ford dealership) spoke to the dealership in PA and determined this story to be FALSE. Copy and pasted below-

Here's the scoop...

My service manager is off today, so I called Springfield Ford myself. After going through a couple different people I was directed to the person who handles "heavy engine repair". I spoke to Danny in service at Springfield Ford. They currently have no Mustangs in for any sort of engine repair. One month ago they did replace a motor in a 5.0L. He pulled up the repair order and gave me details on it. That particular vehicle was a rental car. It came in for a random misfire. They could never pinpoint the specific cylinder. Compression and leak down tests came back good. PCM tests showed unaltered. After replacing all spark plugs, all injectors, and the fuel rail the misfire was still present. Tech hotline recommended and approved an engine replacement. A new crate motor from Ford was installed, problem solved and vehicle sent on its way.

That is the ONLY Mustang they've had for any sort of engine related concerns.

Edit: For anyone wondering, he said it was an automatic, as it should be for a rental car.

I think that settles that.

Last edited by DetTigers; 8/4/11 at 11:21 AM.
Old 8/4/11, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DetTigers
19Cobra93 (works at a Ford dealership) spoke to the dealership in PA and determined this story to be FALSE as can be seen on the S197 thread. They've replaced 1 engine in a rental car some time ago and it wasn't a #8 issue.
Well this isn't a huge surprise.
Can you quote the important post(s) from S197forum for the lazy amongst us?
Old 8/4/11, 11:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

Well this isn't a huge surprise.
Can you quote the important post(s) from S197forum for the lazy amongst us?
I updated my post.
Old 8/4/11, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Why do you guys want to beleive this is some kind of big Ford conspiracy? You can't accept that maybe some of these tuner shops just might have made some bad tunes for an new engine design that they have no experience tuning?

Of course the tuner shops are going to point the finger at Ford and deny that their tunes might be at fault, Ford has the biggest pockets!
This "why is this issue about the (insert my personal issue here) being kept hush hush with ford" really is getting old. Maybe it seems so hush hush cause it "could" have been an isolated case just at maybe one or two dealerships. If it was truly a widespread issue, wouldn't you think that there would be a TSB or a service message concerning job 1 cars needing reflashes.

Ohh I forgot, the evil big ford is stealing everyone's money and running giving them a ticking, grinding, rattling (or whatever other kind of noise) peace of crap leaving you a car that you are forced to fix yourself after your tune blows piston rings in #8.
Old 8/4/11, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

I have been following this #8 piston saga since the beginning, and a few things seem to stick out about this issue. No one that I have seen has proven that a tune caused a #8 failure. One of the polls had Brenspeed with 2 failures, while according to them, one was caused by a piston squirter failure(verified and covered by Ford), and the second by a bad rod bearing. Their was a third I think this week, but I haven't heard the final ruling on that one. Then this week, we get some guy claiming to know of 3 cars at one dealership with stock #8 failures. I looks like this was indeed bogus, which makes you wonder the sources of a lot of these panic threads. Their might actually be a few cars that developed problems from some of the early tunes, where safety parameters were turned off, but I believe people with tunes are pretty safe, just as long as you run the correct octane with your tune. My car has had the Brenspeed 93 octane tune on it for over a year, through a summer and a half, without so much as one check engine light or misfire code. It may fail tomorrow(knowing my luck) but I think it's more of a manufacturing defect causing some sporadic failures, which will happen when you build thousands of engines, and not much to do with the established tuners. Ford sells the Mustang, but in many ways, it was built by all of the outside vendors that allow you to make your car as you want. I would find it hard to believe that they just forgot about this when designing this engine. One guy said something to the effect of Camaro's not having engine issues.......right. I have seen a few Camaros over on Camaro5 spit their internals out all over the road with just a few mods, not to mention all of the half shaft and electrical problems those cars have. All of them have issues at one time or another, and no Mustang is going to please every person, especially when a lot of people expect it to be perfect in every way.
Old 8/4/11, 07:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I trust Ford engineers more than some tuner that has an SCT and a dyno. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the tunes were designed to squeeze out some additional horsepower while causing the engine to run lean for extended periods of time.

Doesn't the F150 have basically the same engine? Are they blowing 8s?

Last edited by Adam; 8/4/11 at 07:39 PM.
Old 8/4/11, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam
I trust Ford engineers more than some tuner that has an SCT and a dyno. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the tunes were designed to squeeze out some additional horsepower while causing the engine to run lean for extended periods of time.

The 5.0 in the F150 is lower compression, and really ****ty internals lol.
Old 8/4/11, 08:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam
Good point. I know they have a different cam profile for a different torque curve, but their pistons are holding up. So that points to tuners pushing the Mustang 5.0 to/over the edge.

Quick Reply: From Popeye the Sailor Man!!!