Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

polishing...way to many details to tape.

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/14, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polishing...way to many details to tape.

I'm running out of tape already, I'll be polishing and deswirling for at least 6 hours, great fat burner, lol.polishing...way to many details to tape.-img_20140214_092127_661.jpg
Old 2/14/14, 11:26 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Keep going. It took me three days. Upkeep is real easy after you get it right.
Old 2/14/14, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^^Agreed, a true two stage correction (cutting polish and finishing polish) followed up with a glaze, two coats of sealant, and two coats of wax is easily a 2-3 day deal, but after that just keep the wax and sealant on it and you'll be good. Should really be the only time in the car's life you actually need to cut/finish if you keep up with the waxing...after all, clear coat is a non-renewable resource so the less you polish it the better off you are.
Old 2/14/14, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Once I move and have a useable garage this will probably be a monthly thing for me lol I'm a little OCD when it comes to my paint... a lot OCD. But till then... I will moan and groan about the swirls:P
Old 2/14/14, 03:27 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I usually use my Porter Cable DA to apply a light coat of wax after washing. This has really kept the swirls away well. And it really saves time applying. Slow setting and really low pressure puts a nice coat down.
Old 2/14/14, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went away for my job a few days ago. It takes me out of town quite a bit.
I used to wash my mustang.... Hmm maybe every week or two weeks.
Washed it maybe three weeks ago, worked for 2 of those weeks and then drove the car just around town for a few hours. Now my brother says there's a small paint chip in my hood!
And I so looked forward to clay baring and cutting and polishing my baby.

Ford ordered me the touch up pens but a little... Worried about doing it myself. I'm too OCD.
Attached Thumbnails polishing...way to many details to tape.-image-977847450.jpg  
Old 2/14/14, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I went away for my job a few days ago. It takes me out of town quite a bit. I used to wash my mustang.... Hmm maybe every week or two weeks. Washed it maybe three weeks ago, worked for 2 of those weeks and then drove the car just around town for a few hours. Now my brother says there's a small paint chip in my hood! And I so looked forward to clay baring and cutting and polishing my baby. Ford ordered me the touch up pens but a little... Worried about doing it myself. I'm too OCD.
I would look into Dr. Colorchip, I've heard good things about it and plan to use it soon on my pony.
Old 2/14/14, 09:53 PM
Cobra Member

I used to be ocd about my cars too. I'd use the 2 bucket wash method etc. Now I have sold my soul to the devil and use drive thru carwashes!! The new ones are actually great quality in my area. I use BFWD once or twice a year. I like driving more than cleaning.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140214_235343.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  23.8 KB

Last edited by 2012GT; 2/14/14 at 09:55 PM.
Old 2/14/14, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I would look into Dr. Colorchip, I've heard good things about it and plan to use it soon on my pony.
It works great as long as you don't expect show quality. Chips are still noticeable but only barely and, most importantly, you've protected a vulnerable area.
Old 2/15/14, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, some of you guys treat your cars better than I've treated most of the women I've dated. That is some impressive work. I salute your eye for detail and willingness to put in the hours. I have no doubt the hand car wash I go to for wash, buff, wax... doesn't do nearly as good a job as you guys do, but for me it will suffice.

I would love to see these cars in person.
Old 2/15/14, 09:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do a full roof to tread detail once every three months. This includes polishing glass and headlights, re-detail the black plastic trim (degreser amd steam them), hand polish and wax door jam s and the underside of the hood as well as the water channels under the trunk lid, hit the gaps between the body panels, steam the side marker lights, steam the whole interior and scrub all upholstry, clay bar paint and wheels after a good degreaser, all wheel and tire cleaner and scrub, dress my tires, scrube the wheels wells, machine polish, seal, and wax the paint, then buff out by hand. Takes about 4-6 hours but its very well spent. Oh, and i degrease and steam clean the engine bay as well. Looks factory new! This march will be the next full detail. Ill be sure to post pictures
Old 2/15/14, 01:37 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
You guys peaked my interest again with a detailing/polishing thread

You guys know I can rant for hours and hours on this subject, so for now I'll just keep it brief hehe

OP, once you get more experience with buffing and the curves and edges of your car, esp after you do the one full correction it needs, you will barely need tape. I polish my cars lightly once a year. Most times I don't use tape at all. Post polish, maintenance and care is very important.
Old 2/15/14, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
Wow, some of you guys treat your cars better than I've treated most of the women I've dated. That is some impressive work. I salute your eye for detail and willingness to put in the hours. I have no doubt the hand car wash I go to for wash, buff, wax... doesn't do nearly as good a job as you guys do, but for me it will suffice.

I would love to see these cars in person.
I've thought about going whole hog on the waxing/showroom finish for this coming April, but then remembered that I'm going to be driving for two days through the southeastern US in Spring through lovebug season. I'll pass.
Old 2/15/14, 08:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I've thought about going whole hog on the waxing/showroom finish for this coming April, but then remembered that I'm going to be driving for two days through the southeastern US in Spring through lovebug season. I'll pass.
I'm gonna buy a carton of blue painters tape and go wild
Old 2/15/14, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Just got the silver kit yesterday. Haven't used it yet but the kit quality is very nice. I have a hairline scratch (about 2" total but in 3 separate lines) under the rear quarter window that it came with new. Didn't trust the dealer to fix it because it's practically under the window and on an edge. It is too close to the window to wet sand. Too deep to buff. So I'm going to try this on Tuesday.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/15/14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 2/15/14, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'm gonna buy a carton of blue painters tape and go wild
Then you're leading!!
Old 2/15/14, 10:43 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember i saw a vette with blue painters tape EVERYWHERE but the head/talights and glass. He had every painted surface and even wheels covered in it looked layers of the stuff.
Old 2/15/14, 10:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
I remember i saw a vette with blue painters tape EVERYWHERE but the head/talights and glass. He had every painted surface and even wheels covered in it looked layers of the stuff.
Smart guy then!!!
Old 2/16/14, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
It works great as long as you don't expect show quality. Chips are still noticeable but only barely and, most importantly, you've protected a vulnerable area.
I don't, I just want to make it less noticeable

Originally Posted by typesredline
Just got the silver kit yesterday. Haven't used it yet but the kit quality is very nice. I have a hairline scratch (about 2" total but in 3 separate lines) under the rear quarter window that it came with new. Didn't trust the dealer to fix it because it's practically under the window and on an edge. It is too close to the window to wet sand. Too deep to buff. So I'm going to try this on Tuesday.
Let us know how it works out! I have a small scratch underneath the drivers side tail light. Not to deep but it bothers the crap out me.
Old 2/16/14, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Let us know how it works out! I have a small scratch underneath the drivers side tail light. Not to deep but it bothers the crap out me.
Will do. I'm excited to give it a go. These little lines are super fine and just barely deep enough to need paint. From what I've seen Dr. CC is on the "runny" side and will "smear" well into the scratch. It should only take one layer. I plan to tape closely to it the scratch all around to minimize the excess that needs to be taken off by the second step solution. Worst case it can all be removed. So it should be fool proof (knock on wood).

Since I am "ok" with then as is, covered with matching paint (and Dr. CC is supposedly the best at matching) should surpass my goals for it. And also protect it.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/16/14 at 05:14 PM.