Search this Thread

Old 5/5/14, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Plastidip and Painting Brake Calipers

First off...hate this forum because it makes me want to spend too much money

But I also love everyone's rides and so it makes the money worth it

Quick opinions/questions/inquiries.

Bought a can of plastidip today to experiment but I have no idea what to experiment on. I have wheels that don't need to be blacked out and have no side emblems as I have a '14 v6. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to test this stuff on? Any ideas? Thought about attempting stripes to see if I even like the look of it but that's a bigger project than I'm ready to take on with my first can of the stuff.

Also, I think I want to paint my brake calipers for an extra 'pop' but I'm not sure which paint to use. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that I want to go with high temp paint but that limits my color choice severely. Anyone else ever do this or know someone who has and what type of paint I should look for?

As always, I appreciate all the help and keep those awesome cars comin'!
Old 5/5/14, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you've already found all the possible uses of plastidip for your ride. :-)
Old 5/5/14, 09:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
sounds like you've already found all the possible uses of plastidip for your ride. :-)
Or, he can just ask gabe
Old 5/6/14, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't plastidip stripes on your car. It will look terrible. It is super hard to get straight, clean lines with dip. You don't want to waste 5 cans of plastidip trying to do this. You can get vinyl stripes for around $100. Use the dip for panels. Maybe your spoiler or the roof.

Use caliper paint for the calipers. Cost less than $10 at auto zone.
Old 5/6/14, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't want to leave the stripes on there permanently, it would be more of a test to see if I liked the look of matte black stripes on the SGM. Vinyl stripes would probably be how I start for real since I dont want to drop the 2k for painted ones at the moment.

I'll check out the caliper paint, any idea how wide the variety is in colors for caliper paint?
Old 5/6/14, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Yikes. I'd say plasti-dip the hood vents, but that's not an option... so try getting a CAI instead.
Old 5/6/14, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj50001
I wouldn't want to leave the stripes on there permanently, it would be more of a test to see if I liked the look of matte black stripes on the SGM. Vinyl stripes would probably be how I start for real since I dont want to drop the 2k for painted ones at the moment.

I'll check out the caliper paint, any idea how wide the variety is in colors for caliper paint?
On my last mustang I paid a little over$100 for the stripes . Did them in my garage with my brother. Wasn't too bad but really tideous. The kit was completely precut so it was a matter of getting them straight and not leaving any bubbles. I picked them up from the decal shoppe. Just do a Google search I'm sure you'll find tons of picks of SGM with matte black racing stripes.

As far as break caliper paint. There is a ton of colors. I used red but eBay would sell any color you want.
Old 5/7/14, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I wouldn't plastidip stripes on your car. It will look terrible. It is super hard to get straight, clean lines with dip. You don't want to waste 5 cans of plastidip trying to do this. You can get vinyl stripes for around $100. Use the dip for panels. Maybe your spoiler or the roof.

Use caliper paint for the calipers. Cost less than $10 at auto zone.

Old 5/8/14, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caliper paint comes in any color you would want...unless you are looking for neon purple or something....
Old 5/12/14, 10:10 AM

I just plasti dipped the chrome on the faux gas cap with black, turned out really good. I need to get a pic uploaded so others can see it. That chrome on the rear deck panel just doesn't work for me.
Old 5/12/14, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

I used this stuff on my calipers...........

http://www.g2usa.com/

It's been on about a year now and looks like the day I applied it.