Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

pirelli tires

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/09, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pirelli tires

My 2010 Gt has now got a little over 4000 miles on it and it seems to be losing its initial quiet. Wind noises exist which were not noticeable when new and most annoying of all the 19 " Perellis are beginning to sound loud just like the original 17's on my 05 . They were quiet at first but now seem to have an annoying "thrum " sound when you are coasting down and at speeds around 50-60 mph. A dealership tech took a ride with me today and he heard it too . Is anyone else having anything similar and if so what have you done ?
Old 11/9/09, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Karrnutt, I don't have an answer regarding the tires but I've got a question for you. I see that your 2010 has the glass roof. I think they look beautiful in photos but I don't believe I've seen one in person. I'm just curious to hear your opinion on it. Are you glad you have the glass roof? Any downside?

Randy
Old 11/9/09, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check weatherstripping for any pinch spots or gaps. That could cause wind noise.

For the tires, check air pressure. Also, check the treads for any debris or damage.
Old 11/9/09, 07:50 PM
GT Member

When it comes to tires 1 word "Bridgestone"...!
Old 11/10/09, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RandyW
Karrnutt, I don't have an answer regarding the tires but I've got a question for you. I see that your 2010 has the glass roof. I think they look beautiful in photos but I don't believe I've seen one in person. I'm just curious to hear your opinion on it. Are you glad you have the glass roof? Any downside?

Randy
Love it,looks good,opens up the cabin,feels like a vert without constant traffic noise ,wind,and uv rays.Makes the glass flow fom front to back . It is pricey and it does not provide any nice ventilation for the days you might like to enjoy the sun and the breeze . I would have been just as happy with a power moonroof had one been available. The sunshade is good for times when the sun gets too intense. All in all I think it is a great alternative to the standard coupe.
Old 11/10/09, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have Pirelli P Zeros N spec on the Porsche. As they wear they do get louder, in fact it got so bad on the freeway it began to annoy the hell out of me. My next set on the PCar I'm going to give the Nitto Invos a shot.

Dave
Old 11/10/09, 09:08 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I have Pirelli P Zeros N spec on the Porsche. As they wear they do get louder, in fact it got so bad on the freeway it began to annoy the hell out of me. My next set on the PCar I'm going to give the Nitto Invos a shot.

Dave
I've been reading a lot of good reviews on the Nitto Invos. I think they look pretty good too.
Old 11/10/09, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Took the car to a Pirelli dealer today and his first words were , "Are they howling ? " They put her on the hoist and did a visual inspection .Told me they couldn't see much wrong exept they were under inflated and the fronts were starting cup on the inside. He said they work best when inflated to 35 to 37 pps. The alignment is my fault due to lowering , but I wanted to wait till the springs settled .It goes to the dealer for alignment tomorrow. I'll give it some time to level out the front tires and see if it improves. If not, back to the tire shop. He didn't seem to suprised to me, so I think they are aware of this problem . Oh, and I threw away my digital tire guage !
Old 11/11/09, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I picked up some General Exclaim UHP's not to long ago and really like them price wasn't to bad either.
Old 11/11/09, 01:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
I picked up some General Exclaim UHP's not to long ago and really like them price wasn't to bad either.
I will need new tires in the next couple of months and have considered the UHP's. If you don't mind, I have a few questions. How long have you had them? What size did you get? How do they compare to the factory tires?

Thanks.
Old 11/11/09, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I've been reading a lot of good reviews on the Nitto Invos. I think they look pretty good too.
They are a good tire, I don't feel they will handle as well as the Pirellis but darn close for a fraction of the price.

Dave
Old 11/12/09, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
Told me they couldn't see much wrong exept they were under inflated and the fronts were starting cup on the inside. He said they work best when inflated to 35 to 37 pps.

Underinflation greatly affects most tires, doubly so for the Pirelli's. And remember that 32psi at 60 in the shade isn't 32psi at 80 in the sun after you've been driving for half an hour.
Old 11/12/09, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by CurtisH
I will need new tires in the next couple of months and have considered the UHP's. If you don't mind, I have a few questions. How long have you had them? What size did you get? How do they compare to the factory tires?

Thanks.
I think they walk all over the factory Pirelli's. They grip in the turns much better I don't think I have pushed them to their limits yet and I've tried a few times. I've have had them for a few months and I have 255/35/20 Where the pirelli's lost traction and plowed during turn ins the generals just gripped.
Old 11/12/09, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think they walk all over the factory Pirelli's. They grip in the turns much better I don't think I have pushed them to their limits yet and I've tried a few times. I've have had them for a few months and I have 255/35/20 Where the pirelli's lost traction and plowed during turn ins the generals just gripped.
Over the OEM Pirellis definitely. If you get the summer PRosso Pirellis different story. I have UHP's on another car..awesome tire for the money. Sidewall is still very soft though.

Dave
Old 11/12/09, 08:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 11/12/09, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run Nitto NT555s on the street. I'm considering getting a set of NT05s when they are done.

Nitto NT01s for the road course.

Can you tell I like Nittos?
Old 11/13/09, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Had the front end aligned at the dealer ,even after lowering it was out very little . The alignment did seem to help. I'll have to wait and see if things smooth out .
Old 11/13/09, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got 5600 miles on mine now and no howls/squeaks/rattles/noise.

Well, the engine howls when I want it to... :-)
Old 11/13/09, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

I've got the UHPs in the same 255/35-20 size, I like them quite a bit. Never did have anything else on it, though, so hard to compare, pulled the OEM 18" BFG's off the first week.

Have done two HPDEs this fall, one on a fairly abrasive surface, and they held up well, better than I though they would. Bit of cupping on the peripheral tread blocks, but not bad, no noisier now than before.
Look good, ride fairly well for that size/profile, but do trhum on certain surfaces (mostly concrete) at certain speeds. Smooth freeway, though, they're quiet as can be. With aggressive cornering like on the track, they do howl, but never squeal. Trying to decide to stick with them or go to the Hankook Ventus once they wear out (and they're not wearing much at all so far). Regardless going to go to a 275 all around.
Old 11/15/09, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

I think maybe after a few months you got used to the road noise and can now hear the tires.

Quick Reply: pirelli tires