2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Pics of my Kona/Stone/Glass Roof GT + MT82 review

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/11, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have almost the exact same car. Only difference is mine is 3.73 and i dont have reverse sensing. I have the 401 premium interior instead. Everything else is the same.
Old 6/19/11, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice! I really like that color combo!
Old 6/20/11, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

My Take

Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
So I love this car!! Absolutely everything I wanted. Power everywhere, insane acceleration, yet perfectly behaved as my daily driver/commuter car. Quiet and refined when you want it to be, raucous and raw and intense when you want some excitement. Comfortable, nicely-arranged cabin, nothing particularly cheap except for the seatbelt holders. First weekend the average MPG readout was 10.8, now it’s up to 14.8. I’ve put 500 miles on it so far.

Everyone loves the glass roof. SYNC is awesome. The Shaker 500 is muddy and mediocre at first, but it starts to sound OK once I’ve been listening to it for a while and my ears have had time to adjust. The garage door opener works perfectly with my rolling-code unit as well as the fixed-code unit at my parents’ house.

Steering is wonderful! Good, linear brakes. Tracks beautifully through corners, no push! Switched out the fog bulbs to Hoen Endurance type, which are very yellow and give it a cool Le Mans GT-class look.

Tragically, a huge rock bounded out from the side of a truck as I was passing it on the highway a couple days ago, a couple chips in the front bumper are the result.

Now here’s my assessment of the MT82:

Overall, I am very satisfied with the operation of this gearbox. The clutch is an absolute delight, pretty much perfect. The box itself can be a little inconsistent. Sometimes it will go into gear with a nice little click-clack, other times there is a pronounced “double crunch.” I’m not concerned about it at this point. My Subaru gearbox exhibited this sort of inconsistent behavior throughout its life without any significant failure.

Skip-shift was engaging pretty often the first couple of days I had it (driving like a bit of a poosy), but it was a no-drama affair. I didn’t even realize it engaged sometimes, shifter just went from 1st to 4th without issue.

I assume lots of people who complain about GRINDING are actually experiencing the occasional “crunch” that I am experiencing. Those are two verrrrrrrry different things. I missed a shift the first day I had it and was rewarded with awful screechy grrrrrrrrind. Totally driver error. The crunchiness/notchiness under regular driving does not bother me. I have not had any actual grinding since my mistake on day one. Do I wish that all the shifts were completed with that nice little click-clack? Yes, but again, I’m not overly concerned at this point. This box does like to be shifted in a very particular way. You have to be firm and decisive, it’s doesn’t like lazy, low-RPM shifting.

I don’t believe this crunchiness is a sign of a catastrophic design flaw/something that will get worse or fail over time. I’m definitely OK with the way it is now, and will most certainly not be taking it in to the dealer.
At this point, I give the Mustang 9.5/10. Hope it serves me well with continued fun for many years! Good job, Ford!

I agree with you 100% PolishAmericanMustang. After spending countless wasted hours of reading all the talk about this consistent "notchy" shifting (and I admit I was worried), I have come to the conclusion that some people are just not used to a tranny that gives you a little feedback through the shifter. Yes I know there were a few that had actual tranny issues (pressure plate bolts, pedal spring issues, etc) but the notchy shifting and tranny failures I believe are unrelated. I kind of like the feeling the car gives. Lets you know its in gear. It will clunk if I'm extremely lazy with my shifting but when I drive the car like the way it was intended it rewards you with nice smooth locks into gear. I have to say the shifting feel reminds me of my dads 68 Camaro SS 4-Speed that I learned on which literally was a rock crusher!! This also could be why it doesn't bother me.

I second your review and Congrats to Ford on such a great car. Now time to enjoy it!!!

Ford
Old 6/20/11, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I can tell immediately if I'm not all the way into a gear. It "snicks" twice - once to let me know I'm getting into it, and again to let me know it's all the way in. If I don't feel that second snick (especially in 5th), I know not to let up off the clutch yet.

90% of the time, I can shift with one finger. That's how light the shifter is, and I have a Steeda Tri-Ax. And that one finger? On the shaft, under the **** (yes, yes, make your jokes now). That's how easy it is to move the shifter from gear to gear.
Old 6/20/11, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I agree, I can tell immediately if I'm not all the way into a gear. It "snicks" twice - once to let me know I'm getting into it, and again to let me know it's all the way in. If I don't feel that second snick (especially in 5th), I know not to let up off the clutch yet.

90% of the time, I can shift with one finger. That's how light the shifter is, and I have a Steeda Tri-Ax. And that one finger? On the shaft, under the **** (yes, yes, make your jokes now). That's how easy it is to move the shifter from gear to gear.
Exactly!! Mine is exactly the same. Just looking for that second snick.
Old 6/20/11, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On an unrelated (yet somehow still related) note:

I decided to go the other route with my fogs and bought Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs to match the color output of my HIDs.

Xenonmatch (right) vs. stock (left)

Stock vs. HID

XM vs. HID

Stock fog light

Xenonmatch fog light

Close-up of Xenonmatch bulb in housing

XM bulbs w/ HIDs at night

I think they look much better than the stockers.
Old 6/21/11, 11:13 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice review and beautiful Mustang!!!