Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pics & Comparo of my '12 6AT Coupe GT vs. My '11 GT 'Vert 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pics & Comparo of my '12 6AT Coupe GT vs. My '11 GT 'Vert 6MT

Sold my PW 2011 6MT 'Vert on 6/9/11 (pics on PW "2010 By Color" forum here: https://themustangsource.com/f787/co...wheels-484761/), took delivery of this deep Grabber Blue '12 6AT Coupe last Monday 6/27, and finally got to polish it (Zaino - 2 coats) yesterday & install my modest mods & take some photos today. Sadly neither camera properly captured the true hue of GB. First the photos, and then my subjective comparisons to my former car.

First - This is the only pic (the rear wheel) that comes closest to showing the true color:

The CalPony pre-painted hood strut kit is great, and I HAD to add the OEM GT strut tower brace my convertible had:

Close-up of the hood strut kit:

The GT500 Mufflers:

The GB 401A Interior:

And other exterior shots, none of which show the true hue. Mileage is still under 100 total miles, so this baby is clean!

Comparison & Observations in the next post below, but I am loving this car!

Future mods include: GT500 rear spoiler & Fog light amber tint or bulbs to match HIDs (near-term). Long-term mods I want to do include C/S front fascia & Boss Splitter, Black/dark RTR or black FRPP Brembo wheels, FRPP tune and/or Steeda intake/tune after warranty expiry.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/2/11 at 09:51 PM.
Old 7/2/11, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will never get a picture of the true grabber blue. GB, to me, changes it color based on the lighting. During the day it is much lighter, almost carolina blue, than during the night. during the night different types of lighting changes the hue as well.

don't worry about the "correct" color just enjoy one of most beautiful colors ever put on a car. I still rememeber seeing it back in 69 when the 70 Mustangs were introduced and I saw GB on a Mach 1. May favorite car of all time. My '10 GT is a good substitute.

I see you are in SE VA. I work in Hampton. You anywhere near Langley RC.

Last edited by RMS70; 7/2/11 at 08:50 PM.
Old 7/2/11, 09:00 PM
Cobra R Member

COMPARISON:
There are three aspects that I can compare 1st hand: '12 vs '11, Coupe vs. Convertible, and 6AT vs. 6MT. These are my sibjective opinions; please don't be like my ex-wife and tell me I am WRONG if you disagree with me in matters of opinion.

AT vs. MT
- MT is still the truest, purest, sportiest setup, especially considering Mustang's 6AT is still an old-school torque converter design. Due to physical limitations, I am relegated to the 6AT, but there IS some loss of control & involvement.
- The torque converter is a bit more non-linear than the 6MT's clutch. Can't get around that.
- The 6AT shifts nicely and yet you can manually shift it in 1-2-3 or D and get the engine revs up and have fun. Shifts are quick but not jerky.
- I like not having to worry about the clutch issue that popped up on my '11 just before I traded/sold it.
- There's no WAY the 6AT's T-handle can compare to the awesomeness of the 401A shift ****.
- The 6AT is impressive tho. It takes me back mentally to the 1972 Cougar XR-7 I had in high school that had the 351C coupled to an automatic. Good times, good times....

Coupe vs. Convertible
- The Coupe feels lighter, and the suspension feels firmer. The ‘vert floated like a Buick by comparison. The coupe’s structure is impressive.
- The coupe feels like a true sports car, with a ride that’s barely soft enough for comfort, relative to the ‘vert, which feels more like a comfortable cruiser that can still handle if it needs to. And keep in mind my ‘vert had the 19” 45-series tires, whereas my coupe has the lowly 18’s with mere 235/50-18s.
- Takes longer to wash/wax the coupe. The coupe’s windows (windshield top, side quarters, and rear window) all have gaps that irritatingly hold water (and some dirt) after a washing. This wasn’t an issue on the ‘vert.
- It’s a little harder getting in/out of the back seat on the coupe.
- Front seats recline ALL THE WAY in the coupe; in the convertible recline is limited to only about 10 degrees thanks to side intrusion in the rear due to the top mechanism.
- The radio sounds better on the coupe, maybe due to better rear speaker placement. Or maybe the ’12 was upgraded in sound quality?
- With the retractable rear windows and a bit more headroom, the convertible felt just a little roomier with the top up, but not much.
- Trunk on the coupe isn’t much bigger really, but on paper I think it’s like 14.9 cu.ft. vs. 9.9 for the ‘vert.
- The coupe’s doors are harder to close. Gotta put some a$$ into closing them or they won’t close all the way. The ‘vert’s doors closed with ease, rarely not closing all the way.

’11 vs. ‘12
You’d think there wouldn’t be much to say, but I was surprised to find that:
- The ’12 has many fit-and-finish issues, whereas the early production ’11 I had (April 13, 2010 build date) was almost perfect. The ’12’s issues include:
o You can see insulation fuzz in the VIN window at the bottom left of windshield.
o You can see material/flash in dash pieces around the steering column that should have been trimmed.
o The center console lid doesn’t line up well when closed.
o What looks like a small painted-over corrosion spot on driver side rocker panel (likely just dirt under the paint
o The doors don’t close as easily
o Passenger side airbag cover panel in dashboard has noticeable dent. Dealer is having to order replacement parts to fix this.
o The 5.0 engine’s passenger side head has what looks like a case of “curb rash” – see photo below
o The 2012’s sunglasses holder was not included with the car as it should have been.
o None of this is major/unrecoverable, but it indicates something is different at Flat Rock, whether it’s less management/quality oversight, lower morale (due to Mazda’s pullout), or maybe change in shifts/workloads.
- Interestingly my wife & I agree the exhaust sounded a little more aggressive on the ’12. Turns out the ’12 6AT mufflers Are like the 2011’s 6MT mufflers (sticker/tag on muffler upstream pipe says “MAN”), whereas in 2011 the V8 automatics had the “pipe-in-pipe” looking tailpipe. Not sure if there’s a link. The SVT mufflers also sounded more aggressive at startup/idle, but not as raucous at W.O.T. as they sounded on my ’11.
- The 3 steering settings on the ’12 (Comfort, Normal, Sport) really don’t change much. You ’11 guys aren’t missing anything.
- Now that I FINALLY got it to work, the garage door opener buttons on the ’12 are very nice.
- The ’12 seems to have more functionality in the Sync system. I don’t have a smartphone so the wireless app feature is lost on me so far, but I was pleasantly surprised the ‘12’s sync will read my text messages to me in its weird computerized text-to-voice. You can also reply via text using Sync, but it won’t let you do this while the car is in motion. The ’11 was supposed to have this feature but it never worked for me. The ’12 was a pleasant surprise.
Here is the “curb rash” I found at the front of my engine. Nothing serious, and certainly just cosmetic, but my ’11 looked like a jewel under the hood, you know?

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/2/11 at 09:09 PM.
Old 7/2/11, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Coupe doors are harder to close because the car is much tighter with a steel roof as opposed to a cloth top. Glad your liking it. Put a tune on that thing and you'll really like the auto.
Old 7/2/11, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am surprised to hear that there are fit and finish differences between the 11 and 12's.

I dare to say that your car might actually be cleaner than mine at this very moment. : )
Old 7/2/11, 09:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
I dare to say that your car might actually be cleaner than mine at this very moment. : )
Strong words indeed!

It IS rather spotless right now though!

Old 7/3/11, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RMS70
you will never get a picture of the true grabber blue. GB, to me, changes it color based on the lighting. During the day it is much lighter, almost carolina blue, than during the night. during the night different types of lighting changes the hue as well.

don't worry about the "correct" color just enjoy one of most beautiful colors ever put on a car. I still rememeber seeing it back in 69 when the 70 Mustangs were introduced and I saw GB on a Mach 1. May favorite car of all time. My '10 GT is a good substitute.

I see you are in SE VA. I work in Hampton. You anywhere near Langley RC.
You are 100% right. It seems the more light there is, the more digital cameras want to lighten up the color.

I am in Williamsburg actually (for the past 10 years), but lived in NNews for 10 years, in Norfolk before that. There seems to be at least 4 of us on the Peninsula, who knows how many more TMS members are here, and how many more are on Southside?

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/3/11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Beautiful car. To bad you got the sissy color though

Looks like you made the right decision. See if you had only listened to your wife in the first place

May this car bring you many miles of smiles

btw I really dont think it is a sissy color
Old 7/5/11, 10:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You might be interested in this:

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/shifters/paddle.html
Old 7/5/11, 05:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
Beautiful car. To bad you got the sissy color though

Looks like you made the right decision. See if you had only listened to your wife in the first place

May this car bring you many miles of smiles

btw I really dont think it is a sissy color
Thanks for the...um...support! So I now $37,300 GT coupe that I ended up paying $42k for. Oh well. My wife is happy and that's priceless!

Originally Posted by Thomas S
You might be interested in this:

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/shifters/paddle.html
That is an interesting piece. Not something I am interested in right away, but I'll definitely bookmark the page for future ref. I think a key complemantary component to the paddle shifting would be a lightning-fast-shifting dual-clutch. My next car, the Lamborghini Aventador, has it. We can dream....

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/5/11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad

Thanks for the...um...support! So I now $37,300 GT coupe that I ended up paying $42k for. Oh well. My wife is happy and that's priceless!

That is an interesting piece. Not something I am interested in right away, but I'll definitely bookmark the page for future ref. I think a key complemantary component to the paddle shifting would be a lightning-fast-shifting dual-clutch. My next car, the Lamborghini Aventador, has it. We can dream....
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 7/5/11, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think a key complemantary component to the paddle shifting would be a lightning-fast-shifting dual-clutch. My next car, the Lamborghini Aventador, has it. We can dream....
Yeah, that's my next car too! In diecast...hahaha!

Congrats on the coupe in grabber blue. Having had an azure blue Mach 1 previously, I was thrilled when this color was announced. I almost got a 2010 GT in that color but went with the sterling grey.

I find your observations on the fit-and-finish items interesting between model years. I have generally thought my '10 was at a very high level of fit-and-finish, so I have been somewhat surprised at reading some of the things going on with the '12s. It is quite possible that some of the things being missed are correlated to changes in the way staff carry out the work, parts quality, etc., given all that continues to go on with Ford. Hard to say for sure.

Lastly, may your driving time be more enjoyable as time goes on!
Old 7/6/11, 03:24 AM

Eric - as mentioned privately, congrats on your new Mustang. It's beautiful and I love the color. I have the 6A trans myself and know you'll enjoy yours, too.

Re the disparity in quality between your 2011 and 2012 that you mentioned, I may have an explanation if your 2011 was built before July 12, 2010. Re Mustang News:

"Ford Reducing Mustang Assembly Plant To One Shift"

"Ford actually plans to increase production of the pony car later this year."

"The shared line will be sped up by about 35% so both cars can be built in one work shift"

The switch to a single shift and increase in production line speed went into effect on July 12, 2010 according to this article.

The loss/reassignment of approximately 900 workers and 35% increase in assembly speed would likely not have a positive effect on build quality (but maybe still within Ford's quality specifications).

Thus, if your 2011 was built before July 12, 2010 ...it was built on an assembly line that gave workers more time for assembly compared to your 2012.
Old 7/6/11, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Java2011Mustang
Eric - as mentioned privately, congrats on your new Mustang. It's beautiful and I love the color. I have the 6A trans myself and know you'll enjoy yours, too.

Re the disparity in quality between your 2011 and 2012 that you mentioned, I may have an explanation if your 2011 was built before July 12, 2010. Re Mustang News:

"Ford Reducing Mustang Assembly Plant To One Shift"

"Ford actually plans to increase production of the pony car later this year."

"The shared line will be sped up by about 35% so both cars can be built in one work shift"

The switch to a single shift and increase in production line speed went into effect on July 12, 2010 according to this article.

The loss/reassignment of approximately 900 workers and 35% increase in assembly speed would likely not have a positive effect on build quality (but maybe still within Ford's quality specifications).

Thus, if your 2011 was built before July 12, 2010 ...it was built on an assembly line that gave workers more time for assembly compared to your 2012.
Yes, my 2011 'vert GT was built on April 13, 2010 and its fit-and-finish was nearly perfect, which jives with your observation above.
Old 7/6/11, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

You know I am always there for you

Yes, my 2011 'vert GT was built on April 13, 2010 and its fit-and-finish was nearly perfect, which jives with your observation above.
And mine was built in early june and has all sorts of build issues. There must have known what was coming by then
Old 7/6/11, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Congrats on the new ride.
Welcome to the Dark Side (sports cars with autos club)!
Old 7/6/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric,
Glad you finally got your car. I know you'll enjoy having a mustang you can actually drive. Grabber is one of the colors I absolutely didn't want under any circumstances. Yours and others have shown me that I was absolutely WRONG. Great looking car.
Old 7/6/11, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
Congrats on the new ride.
Welcome to the Dark Side (sports cars with autos club)!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Originally Posted by eric n
Eric,
Glad you finally got your car. I know you'll enjoy having a mustang you can actually drive. Grabber is one of the colors I absolutely didn't want under any circumstances. Yours and others have shown me that I was absolutely WRONG. Great looking car.
Thanks Eric! I felt exactly the same way a year ago (any color BUT GB), but no longer. As I mentioned in another post, it was the cover of the Winter 2011 of "My Ford" magazine that hooked me, with an excellently-photographed GB GT500 with white stripes. Before that Kona Blue was my top pick, and I still love Kona; I just like GB more now. This car feels like a keeper....
Old 7/6/11, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice Eric, I had same situation, but wife won out first battle, then settled with auto.. but i couldnt be happier with it, I put a bama tune on it to tighten up the shifting, but to each is his own, i love my auto.. enjoy not having to worry about the clutch!!!
Old 7/7/11, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Congrats, although I'm surprised you went back to a Hardtop, didn't you like the Celebrity Status that us Vert owners enjoy?? Folks are ALWAYS Smiling and waving at my Vert., while hardtops are Rarely even noticed...

Quick Reply: Pics & Comparo of my '12 6AT Coupe GT vs. My '11 GT 'Vert 6MT