2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Performance Package for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/12, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Package for a DD?

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to buy a new 2013 premium V6 as my daily driver but I keep waffling on whether or not to get the performance package. I want the 3.31 gears to give it a little more kick but I'm not sure if I should get the PP or just the gears alone.

Does anyone have experience driving both? I rented a V6 for a couple days but none of the dealers around here have the V6 with the PP so I can't compare.
My major questions are the following:
- I know handling is better with the PP, but is the ride harsher as well? I'm wondering the impact of bigger wheels and suspension changes.
- Are their any pros or cons for the PP in the snow? Here in WA state we get our fair share of snow and although I will definatly be getting some snow tires either way, I'm wondering if the PP would help or hurt winter driving.

Thanks!
Old 8/18/12, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

If you're going to be putting on winter tires when the weather get bad anyways, then there is really no con in opting for the PP. The ride will be well within what one would consider a comfortable range. If I remember correct the PP is just the GT suspension setup which is far from harsh.
Old 8/18/12, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lt. Bob
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to buy a new 2013 premium V6 as my daily driver but I keep waffling on whether or not to get the performance package. I want the 3.31 gears to give it a little more kick but I'm not sure if I should get the PP or just the gears alone.

Does anyone have experience driving both? I rented a V6 for a couple days but none of the dealers around here have the V6 with the PP so I can't compare.
My major questions are the following:
- I know handling is better with the PP, but is the ride harsher as well? I'm wondering the impact of bigger wheels and suspension changes.
- Are their any pros or cons for the PP in the snow? Here in WA state we get our fair share of snow and although I will definatly be getting some snow tires either way, I'm wondering if the PP would help or hurt winter driving.

Thanks!
I've been using my '13 v6 with PP as my DD for a few months now and it has 5.5k on it and I've never thought the suspension felt harsh.
Old 8/18/12, 12:32 PM
GT Member

I love the pp. really makes a difference plus a better suspension and brakes for the snow wouldn't hurt at all. One of the better option imo
Old 8/18/12, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, get the PP package. Second, personally I found the PP suspension a little soft especially above 40mph for my liking. It does a good job absorbing bumps when driving around the city if that is what you want but at high speed is just way too soft for me. Thus the reason I made all the suspension upgrade listed on my signature.
Old 8/18/12, 05:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbeard
If you're going to be putting on winter tires when the weather get bad anyways, then there is really no con in opting for the PP. The ride will be well within what one would consider a comfortable range. If I remember correct the PP is just the GT suspension setup which is far from harsh.
Don't forget the tires have a big effect on the ride. The ride of the PP is significantly harsher due to stiffer shorter sidewalls. A regular GT rides much softer than a Performance Package V6. I am sure some people would not want to drive one if their roads are bad. Unfortunately, that fact doesn't help much because how do you know if those PEOPLE have the same tolerances as you.

To OP: The ride of a Performance Package V6 is very similar to a Brembo GT. Maybe the dealer has one of those you could try.