Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Paintless dent repair

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/15, 07:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paintless dent repair

So some POS ran across the hood and roof of my car while it was parked. Pulled dents out a little with suction cup dent puller. Anyone had pdr work completed on hood or roof? Wondering how the aluminum look afterwards. I'm thinking the liner on the roof and hood need to be removed and the roof looks to be a pita to remove. So anyone had any pdr work on mustang?
Old 6/8/15, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I might be wrong but I do not think you can PDR aluminum...
Old 6/8/15, 09:23 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I might be wrong but I do not think you can PDR aluminum...
I can't imagine why not. It's metal and has molecules that stretch like any other material. Considering all the cars today that are being made with materials other than steel, I'm sure PDR technology is keeping pace with the auto industry.
Old 6/8/15, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It can be done add long as no creases are in the metal.
Old 6/8/15, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

Ok thanks for the followups. I talked with dealer and they use outside mobile pdr person. Wondering how much of headliner would need to be removed or is it's possible to just lower enough for the pdr rod access.
Old 6/9/15, 07:01 AM
V6 Member

Does anyone have link to the directions on how to remove the interior trim? I found one for headliner but I'm assuming I have to remove all the window trim as well. Just worried about cracking plastic and damaging stuff.
Old 6/10/15, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Link to the 2011 Ford Service Manual, Body. Should be the same for 2010-2014.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1052
The PDR tech will lower your headliner for the repairs.
Old 6/10/15, 05:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I had 3 fairly nasty dents pulled on my GTCS over the past two months and was very pleased. One was on the deck lid from hail, the rear fender lip from a rod falling, and one of the roof from a rock.

The metal looked excellent after pdr despite some metal creasing beforehand. Don't worry!

The main thing is that there be a sufficient access point to put the rod in and that your guy knows what he's doing. I know it's a chore to drop the headliner but you want the car to look good.
Old 6/15/15, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aluminum is more difficult to work than steel, so the price may be higher than regular panels. I don't like working on aluminum myself. Steel wants to go back to it's original shape, while aluminum takes on the new shape. To get it back, you need to really massage the metal. I hope your local PDR guy is really good.
Old 6/16/15, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do not go with anyone a dealer uses, those guys don't care as much about the quality of work. Call around, you get what you pay for with PDR.
Old 6/16/15, 10:13 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi if u are in the Delray or fort Lauderdale area call Tim Hart at 954-448-0259 the dent eliminated. Watched him work on a mustang he's good. Also he's mobile maybe can go to u.
Old 6/16/15, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Again, you need to be careful with who you use. I do PDR and I've been told that I'm really good, but not on aluminum. I do a lot of "regular" cars and get the dents out to what the owner would say is 100%, but aluminum is a different animal. Ask to see some aluminum work the PDR tech has worked on. If he can't show you anything, question if you want him doing the work. Since it's so difficult to work with, a good tech will be proud to show off his ability.
Old 6/17/15, 12:40 PM
V6 Member

Ok so I saw a pdr guy that has some good reviews in Jacksonville. He told me he could not do my roof, but he could do the hood. He recommended that the roof be sanded, filled and repainted. I'm stuck at this point trying to decide if I should make insurance claim or get another pdr estimate.
Old 6/17/15, 01:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by silvagsr
Ok so I saw a pdr guy that has some good reviews in Jacksonville. He told me he could not do my roof, but he could do the hood. He recommended that the roof be sanded, filled and repainted. I'm stuck at this point trying to decide if I should make insurance claim or get another pdr estimate.
Uggh. Man I'm telling you that you just need an experienced guy who can drop the liner and has experience with that type of roof. I had a nasty dent from a rock on my roof and my guy pulled it out in about an hour. I thought I'd have to do repaint or live with it.

Decline in the sanding and repaint.
Old 6/17/15, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

The difference is that you had a dent from a rock. He has a larger dent from someone walking on the roof. The roof supports could have even bent down some from the weight. I would think this PDR guy gave you some good advice. Now the question comes in on if you take the entire job to a body shop. There are two things to consider...1. PDR may not be a 100% fix and you may still see some remnants dependent on how bad the dents are and 2. A body shop could also have remnants with body filler edges being visible, slight paint mismatch, sanding marks, etc. Maybe you should spend the few extra dollars and get the glass roof instead!
Old 6/17/15, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
The difference is that you had a dent from a rock. He has a larger dent from someone walking on the roof. The roof supports could have even bent down some from the weight. I would think this PDR guy gave you some good advice. Now the question comes in on if you take the entire job to a body shop. There are two things to consider...1. PDR may not be a 100% fix and you may still see some remnants dependent on how bad the dents are and 2. A body shop could also have remnants with body filler edges being visible, slight paint mismatch, sanding marks, etc. Maybe you should spend the few extra dollars and get the glass roof instead!

Glass roof, that can't be an option now that's not a job worth retro fitting is it? The whole thing is just making me sick to my stomach. The fact that some d bag would jump on the roof and hood still has me pissed. This car was and is still clean besides these dents now. I'm thinking of just shopping around for some ford shops to see what their advise is. It is something I could live with I guess but I will always see it smack in the middle of the roof. I'm wondering if plasti dipping it black would hide or highlight the waviness of the dents.