2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Paint defects from factory anyone

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11 | 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Paint defects from factory anyone

My car sat up on the ramp at Flat Rock for almost a month and I received it today. I picked it up from the dealer as it ccame off truck. I washed and then waxed vehicle but it has several 30-70 marks on the tops of the vehicle that appeared to be sap or similar but they will not come off. it doesn't look real bad under normal light but it's terrible under the flourescents in my garage. I'm sick about this. I'm going to get a clay bar tomorrow and try that but my gut tells my these inperfections are etched into the paint. the car is black. Any ideas??
Old 6/8/11 | 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have a good camera? Pictures?
Old 6/8/11 | 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
Do you have a good camera? Pictures?

kinda hard to capture the whole spectrum of the hood since I have to use the lighting in my garage to reflect the defects. I've tried sap remover, goof off, wax, soap, and some good old fashioned elbow grease. it's not coming off without wet sanding or compounding I'm thinking.
I'm just thinking I'm not the only one thats had these issues and I was wondering what others have done to rectify the problem. i really don't want to paint on a new car. My ordering the car was to keep this very problem from happening.

Heres the best pic I could get. all of the things you see on either side of the light are the imperfections.

Last edited by going for broke; 6/8/11 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 6/9/11 | 06:54 AM
GT Member

You definitely will not need paint. Do you have, or know anyone with, a random orbital? With an orange pad and some polish, you'll likely get those out.
Old 6/9/11 | 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

My factory black sucks *****. I had like 40 scrathes right off the truck. U could try claying the car as well.
Old 6/9/11 | 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
You definitely will not need paint. Do you have, or know anyone with, a random orbital? With an orange pad and some polish, you'll likely get those out.
Orbital isn't gonna cut it. i have a high speed polisher and that may do it. If not Wet sanding is the only option.

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
My factory black sucks *****. I had like 40 scrathes right off the truck. U could try claying the car as well.
I tried the clay, it laughed at me.

i actually hand rubbed the car with compound and it's slowly coming out. long process but it beats re-paint.
Old 6/9/11 | 08:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
My car sat up on the ramp at Flat Rock for almost a month and I received it today. I picked it up from the dealer as it ccame off truck. I washed and then waxed vehicle but it has several 30-70 marks on the tops of the vehicle that appeared to be sap or similar but they will not come off. it doesn't look real bad under normal light but it's terrible under the flourescents in my garage. I'm sick about this. I'm going to get a clay bar tomorrow and try that but my gut tells my these inperfections are etched into the paint. the car is black. Any ideas??
I just bought my 2010 new off the lot. Obviously, being a 10' it's been sitting out in the elements and certainly shows some oxidation and swirl because of it. I have tried my own remedies at home but I'm not quite getting the effect I want(I have black as well). I am currently looking at a reputable detail shop that is going to run it through a gambit of services for about 250 bucks. The cars I've seen go through this process are **** near flawless. I figure the money will be well worth it since my car won't be driven in the winter. I figure it'll hold up for a year or more. Maybe an idea for you?

Good luck!
Old 6/10/11 | 02:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I would take it back to the dealer if i just got it. Let them take care of it.
Old 6/10/11 | 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2010BLKSTANG
I just bought my 2010 new off the lot. Obviously, being a 10' it's been sitting out in the elements and certainly shows some oxidation and swirl because of it. I have tried my own remedies at home but I'm not quite getting the effect I want(I have black as well). I am currently looking at a reputable detail shop that is going to run it through a gambit of services for about 250 bucks. The cars I've seen go through this process are **** near flawless. I figure the money will be well worth it since my car won't be driven in the winter. I figure it'll hold up for a year or more. Maybe an idea for you?

Good luck!
For under $250 you can get a new Meguiars DA Microfiber polisher http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ction-kit.html really hard to screw up with a DA and you would have the satisfaction of doing yourself. This kit will take any/all defects out as long as it's just into the clear coat.
Old 6/10/11 | 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GrabbGT
I wouldn't let the dealer touch my paint. They will do nothing but add swirl marks and mar up the paint. If they have a body shop maybe but I'd still rather just do it myself.
Old 6/10/11 | 09:41 AM
Cur
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GrabbGT
Unless they "have a guy" that is into serious detailing, I wouldn't. The average guy at the dealer knows jack all about paint care.

Find a good detailer and have him look at it, or a reputable body shop.
Old 6/10/11 | 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'm in a catch 22, I have lots of experience with a high speed polisher ( buffer) but if I burn an edge or mess it up it's my baby. If I have the dealer fix it then if they screw it up it's on them. I won't let the dealership detailer wheel on it but they do use a body shop for warranty repairs that I will let handle it. I don't want to have it buffed, but more then that I don't want all of these imperfections left unrepaired.
Old 6/13/11 | 01:29 PM
V6 Member

Mine is Red Candy, and it sat in Flat Rock last year from April-August last year. I have a "few" (5~10) on my roof that look very similar. Recently, I tried Meguires 'Scratch-X" and that seems to work. Nothing else worked that I tried. With the Scratch-X I got one to the point it is nearly invisible in a few minutes. I wouldn't let the dealer touch it.
Old 6/13/11 | 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update:
Dealer service manager called and said for me to use body shop of my choice and ford will pay for it. I have a shop in mind that will take good care of me.
Old 6/14/11 | 09:31 AM
Cur
V6 Member

Update:
Dealer service manager called and said for me to use body shop of my choice and ford will pay for it. I have a shop in mind that will take good care of me.
Now that is a good dealership, they realize they don't have the knowledge/equipment to fix it "right", and they are taking care of the customer. A lot of other dealers could learn a lesson from them!