2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ordering a new 5.0: Color Question

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/10, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a new 5.0: Color Question

Hi guys, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and order a new 5.0. My only hang-up is what color I want. I have been waffling between Kona Blue and Red Candy. My question is, since Red Candy is a more expensive paint job than the others, would getting aftermarket pieces painted cost more? I want to get either a ducktail or a gt500 spoiler, would the upcharge on the Red Candy carry over to such appearance mods? I'm really trying to justify paying the $350, or so, extra dollars but I am also trying to find out if it will cost more down the road as well. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 7/11/10, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know the exact anwer to that...

...but maybe someone with an "extra cost" paint color from a previous model year shed some light on this.

My hunch is that it either will cost a bit more...or the color won't be a "factory" looking match.
Old 7/11/10, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Both are beautiful colors. Had my wife not been 100% against candy red I'd have been in your shoes. Luckily, she made my choice easy.
Old 7/11/10, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RoyBatty
Hi guys, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and order a new 5.0. My only hang-up is what color I want. I have been waffling between Kona Blue and Red Candy. My question is, since Red Candy is a more expensive paint job than the others, would getting aftermarket pieces painted cost more? I want to get either a ducktail or a gt500 spoiler, would the upcharge on the Red Candy carry over to such appearance mods? I'm really trying to justify paying the $350, or so, extra dollars but I am also trying to find out if it will cost more down the road as well. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Close your eyes.
Count to 5--Then you have to choose immediately.
The one you pick will be the one you REALLY want.
You won't regret it later.
Color DOES matter.

Last edited by GJM20115.0; 7/11/10 at 01:00 PM.
Old 7/11/10, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

you are worring over something that works out to around 1.0% of the overall cost.
Don't let $350 or the fact that parts MAY cost a tad more force you into a different color if you really want the red candy.
Old 7/11/10, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
A Good Body Shop will get the color right, but if you are going that way don't get the Over the Top Stripes, changing them will drive you broke
Old 7/11/10, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
A Good Body Shop will get the color right, but if you are going that way don't get the Over the Top Stripes, changing them will drive you broke
I want to get the white LeMans stripes if I go Kona, but they will probably be vinyl. If I go Candy Red, maybe matte black hood spears, or nothing at all. I'm thinking that getting the stripes and having them applied will end up costing the same as the Red anyway, so I am torn. GT500-look with the Kona, or Red with a touch of matte black on the hood? Its such a damned good looking car either way its hard to decide.
Old 7/11/10, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
If you have the stripes put on after would be better IMO, since it is a $475 option but is going to cost almost $300 to re-stripe the trunk and get the stripes for the pedestal spoiler.
Old 7/11/10, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I want to get the white LeMans stripes if I go Kona, but they will probably be vinyl. If I go Candy Red, maybe matte black hood spears, or nothing at all. I'm thinking that getting the stripes and having them applied will end up costing the same as the Red anyway, so I am torn. GT500-look with the Kona, or Red with a touch of matte black on the hood? Its such a damned good looking car either way its hard to decide.
Please don't put white stripes on a kona car. Grabber perhaps, but you can put whatever you want on grabber because it's too bright for me to distinguish anything specific.

I ordered a kona with the charcoal hood and side stripes and I believe I'm going to like the look. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow!! A big push for me on it is that I haven't seen/read of anyone else ordering with them, so it'll help my car stand out just a little bit from the next guy. There are already five kona 5.0s floating around my general area.
Old 7/11/10, 10:25 PM

Exactly why I got silver. It's turned a LOT of heads specifically because it isn't Kona or Grabber. Go for the red...at least it's something that 90% of the Mustang buyers didn't purchase!
Old 7/12/10, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had very much the same question. Kona Blue is beautiful but my last car was a dark blue metallic so I was thinking of going with something else. Red Candy is gorgeous. I'm going to have some of the black plastic trim pieces painted to match the body. You've always got to cross your fingers and hope the body shop does a good job of matching the paint color. Since Red Candy also has a tinted clear coat, I figured that's two things I've got to hope they get right. Were it not for the color matching factor I probably would have gone with Red Candy. In the end I chose Kona Blue and I love it. This car looks great in almost every color.