Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ordered on 4/3, test drove for the first time on 5/15

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/10, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered on 4/3, test drove for the first time on 5/15

Yeah, yeah... I was confident in what I was buying.

Today I drove the V6 manual Mustang. Total BASE model Mustang. NO OPTIONS. Have to say if all you have is $23k to spend on a Mustang, it's WORTH EVERY PENNY.

The transmission was absolutely amazing. Better than my C5 'vette and my CTS-V. The power from the V6 was plenty. I never felt like i needed more but I imagine the V8 is just nuts. Something I would just find trouble with, certainly.

Handling was precise and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the EPAS. It just worked and worked very well.

The base interior is plain but functional. I'd even argue nicely equipped at the price point just not luxurious.

Tires on the base V6 were BFGs. I thought the V6 got Pirellis. Guess not.

And for those interested, I was driving a skittle. The Grabber Blue version.

Ford definitely has a winner with this Mustang no matter what model you buy.
Old 5/15/10, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin

Today I drove the V6 manual Mustang. Total BASE model Mustang. NO OPTIONS. Have to say if all you have is $23k to spend on a Mustang, it's WORTH EVERY PENNY.

The transmission was absolutely amazing. Better than my C5 'vette and my CTS-V. The power from the V6 was plenty. I never felt like i needed more but I imagine the V8 is just nuts. Something I would just find trouble with, certainly.

Handling was precise and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the EPAS. It just worked and worked very well.

The base interior is plain but functional. I'd even argue nicely equipped at the price point just not luxurious.

Ford definitely has a winner with this Mustang no matter what model you buy.

How did you feel about the acceleration? I thought it was pretty **** good compared to the V6 Camaro, but not as good as the 2007 GT.
Old 5/15/10, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
How did you feel about the acceleration? I thought it was pretty **** good compared to the V6 Camaro, but not as good as the 2007 GT.
It's still a V6 when compared to a GT V8. Apples to apples will tell you where we rank with the other manufacturers V6s. But I have to say I am impressed. I appreciate Honda engines and their V6 is a very nice motor. But the 2011 Mustang still has about 65 HP on that engine. That is strong!
Old 5/15/10, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Skittles

Old 5/15/10, 01:04 PM
GT Member

I'm guessing most of us ordered without driving the new model . . . I did drive a 2010 V6, and it wasn't much quicker than my Focus. So I waited for the '11. (Still waiting!)

Oh, and FWIW, those of us who ordered the Pony V6 will be getting Pirellis.
Old 5/15/10, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I'm guessing it had the stock 2.73's gears as well ??

Hopefully you get yours soon enough (since you got the 3.31's) that you can remember the 1st drive well enough to know if the opt. gears make a big difference or not.

Doug
Old 5/15/10, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
So I'm guessing it had the stock 2.73's gears as well ??

Hopefully you get yours soon enough (since you got the 3.31's) that you can remember the 1st drive well enough to know if the opt. gears make a big difference or not.

Doug
Yep, stock 2.73s and still felt pretty darn good. I got the 3.31s and I'm sure it will feel quicker off the line. But I've had a few Ford V6's (Ranger, Taurus, Escape, T-Bird) and the Focus ST 4-banger. This engine is just leaps and bounds above them. And the quietness inside the cabin was very impressive. Ford touted the Focus's improvements in quietness but it's NOTHING compared to the Mustang. The 2010 V6 is a dog compared to the engine.

This isn't a "V6" or "V8" issue. My F150 has a V8. But it's also super heavy. The Mustang V6 will stomp all over my F150.

Jokerstars, the acceleration was excellent. Very smooth. I know the V8 is going to be WAY better. I've had 400 HP in a car. It is a TON of fun. I mean, there just aren't that many cars that can keep up. Torque is available on demand. The V6 is about 85% of that. (I know the math says about 70% but I think there are diminishing returns as the HP increases in terms of real world driving.)