Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Opinions, what is a reasonable offer and sale price?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/12, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Still not sure I follow that smart lease thing. Are you saying you lease the car for 6 years? If so, a bad idea, as the warranty is way past, and for 3 years, you're paying for repairs on a car you don't "own". Equity or not, I won't lease a vehicle past it's warranty.
You mention balloon payments at lease end; again, nothing I would do!

In my wife's case, the first lease cost us a $1500.00 down payment, plus tax and tag fees. After the 3 year lease term was up, we returned it, and leased another new model. No down payment this time, as BMW (at least the dealer we use) has a "BMW loyalty" thing, where the down payment is waved.

Should this change, we'd most likely walk away when we return the vehicle, as I don't like to make a down payment on a vehicle I'm not buying. I did it once, hated myself for it initialy, but felt it was alright since we got (and have been getting) free maintenance on the vehicles during the lease contract timeframe. Now that "free maintenance" is another subject; since I never plan to buy the car after the lease, it's no problem, but on a purchase with free maintenance, it's a problem. BMW only changes the oil every 10K or something like 6 months, whichever comes first. They never change the automatic or rear end fluid on their dime, as they say it's "lifetime"

We all know there's no such thing as "lifetime fluid". But again, since it's a lease, and I'm giving their car back to them after the contract ends, I don't care. I also don't think I'd ever buy a used/lease return vehicle unless I can pull up the service records and verify the maintenance was performed more often (what I call "old school" type maintenance). Doesn't need oil changes every 3K, but 10K is pushing it IMO.

I think you mis-understood or I did not explain well. 3 Year Smart Lease. 30K car, 11K down Lease 19K. After 3 Years if the car value is lets say 20K and I owe on the car 10K I have 10K Equity, i can roll the Equity into the car to purchase out right or put it towards another car. That is how it was explained to me. Again i do not know if that is smoke and mirrors or is correct. They also stated the car is mine and I could sell it at any time. Lets say I Leased for the 19 like I stated sold it 2 weeks later for 29K I could get a return on my initial Down payment. Again how it was explained to me as long as I pay the balloon (Amount owed) the rest is my money.