Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/14, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Smell?

Quick question as I don't want to raise the alarm on it just yet. When I first got home with my Mustang, I noticed a bit of burned oil smell when I got home. Wasn't too concerned about it as a bit of fluid gets spilled or whatever during PDI or even manufacturing. I didn't get much chance to drive this weekend thanks to the weather, so I'm only up to 70km (45 mi) on the clock, but I still get the smell when I shut it off. I also noticed yesterday when I pulled off the H-pipe to install the Boss H that there was a fairly strong whiff of oil in the pipes. Should I be concerned?

There's no drips on my garage floor and when I pop the hood I don't see any puffs of smoke. I don't see anything under the hood but I don't know the common places to look yet on these engines, aside from fluid fill caps. I probably don't even have the mileage yet to burn off anything that might have spilled and it was much less after a short 30 minute drive yesterday than after I got it home on Saturday.
Old 6/16/14, 07:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Quick question as I don't want to raise the alarm on it just yet. When I first got home with my Mustang, I noticed a bit of burned oil smell when I got home. Wasn't too concerned about it as a bit of fluid gets spilled or whatever during PDI or even manufacturing. I didn't get much chance to drive this weekend thanks to the weather, so I'm only up to 70km (45 mi) on the clock, but I still get the smell when I shut it off. I also noticed yesterday when I pulled off the H-pipe to install the Boss H that there was a fairly strong whiff of oil in the pipes. Should I be concerned?

There's no drips on my garage floor and when I pop the hood I don't see any puffs of smoke. I don't see anything under the hood but I don't know the common places to look yet on these engines, aside from fluid fill caps. I probably don't even have the mileage yet to burn off anything that might have spilled and it was much less after a short 30 minute drive yesterday than after I got it home on Saturday.
IMO i don't think its anything to be concerned about but if its really worrying you, take it in before you do anymore mods to it and void the warranty.
Old 6/16/14, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Brand new it's gonna have some odor as it breaks in. Have you checked the oil level on the dipstick?
Old 6/16/14, 08:49 AM
GT Member

It is the cosmoline they put on parts of the car for rust prevention while it is sitting on the dealers lot. It will burn off completely within a few thousand miles. Mine had it really bad when I first got it.
Old 6/16/14, 09:05 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Same here. Smelly for a bit.
Old 6/16/14, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oil level is good, no drips or anything, and I'm done the mechanical mods. I'll give it a bit. Just went for a ride on my lunch break and I had to get down on my knees to smell it so no longer concerned at all. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 6/16/14, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You need to drive the car hard to burn out and off all the coatings from the factory.
Old 6/16/14, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I had a similar smell, it lasted for a couple days and then was gone.
Old 6/16/14, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was sitting in traffic on the way home today, windows open, no wind. Couldn't smell it at all. Only smelled it after I got home, closed the garage and went inside. Brought some stuff back out to the garage 5 minutes later and could smell it then. 95% sure it's nothing to worry about, like you guys said, coatings/etc burning off.
Old 6/16/14, 06:30 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Anything like this?

https://themustangsource.com/f767/oo...-smell-498112/
Old 6/17/14, 12:44 PM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

I was sitting in traffic on the way home today, windows open, no wind. Couldn't smell it at all. ... 95% sure it's nothing to worry about,...
Glad to hear you're not experiencing the smell anymore, lakeguy77. Feel free to reach out should this concern return; I'll be happy to assist.

Brittany
Old 6/18/14, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
When a new car is built there are all kinds of oil on the metal parts, Plastic parts ETC. It is part of the manufacturing process. For the first couple hundred miles all the surface oil if you will is burned off. hence the burning smells.

I just had new mufflers installed and I have the burning smell again. I think you are Good..