The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/oil-separators-fate-jlt-vs-bobs-vs-moroso-531030/)

SGM SCOTT 6/14/14 08:49 PM

Pulled the trigger on one today!

Originally Posted by SGM SCOTT (Post 6815707)
So is the basic 2011+ 5.0 passenger side oil separator for $115 bucks all I need?

p

FromZto5 6/15/14 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by SGM SCOTT (Post 6816032)
Pulled the trigger on one today!

Nice! As soon as I get a refund from my jlt back in paypal, I will pull the trigger.

I have a black jlt from john I got coming...if you all were me, would you still buy a bobs or Moroso? Which???

lakeguy77 6/15/14 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6816117)
Nice! As soon as I get a refund from my jlt back in paypal, I will pull the trigger.

I have a black jlt from john I got coming...if you all were me, would you still buy a bobs or Moroso? Which???

From reading your posts, the bracket on the Moroso might drive you nuts. The can is beautiful. The attachment loop to the bracket is beautiful. The bracket itself is just a carved out piece of raw steel and looks a little messy, and it sits right up on top next to the pretty stock strut tower brace and attaching to the pretty can. I'd gladly pay an extra $25 to have that bracket with either a brushed finish or powdercoated silver to match the STB. I'm not "like that" but I do notice it when I lift the hood. Might steer you towards Bob's.

Attachment 192594

FromZto5 6/15/14 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by lakeguy77 (Post 6816120)
From reading your posts, the bracket on the Moroso might drive you nuts. The can is beautiful. The attachment loop to the bracket is beautiful. The bracket itself is just a carved out piece of raw steel and looks a little messy, and it sits right up on top next to the pretty stock strut tower brace and attaching to the pretty can. I'd gladly pay an extra $25 to have that bracket with either a brushed finish or powdercoated silver to match the STB. I'm not "like that" but I do notice it when I lift the hood. Might steer you towards Bob's.

Good point. Also the Moroso is also 150 bucks versus 115 from bobs? I would think functionally, both are comparable?

Btw is the finish on the Moroso a polished or chromed silver?

lakeguy77 6/15/14 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6816124)
Good point. Also the Moroso is also 150 bucks versus 115 from bobs? I would think functionally, both are comparable?

Btw is the finish on the Moroso a polished or chromed silver?

The can itself is polished, the loop is like a satin finish. Both are VERY nice, just makes the bracket that much more disappointing. I might yank it and spray it gloss black or silver myself.

silverstate777 6/15/14 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I currently have a (borrowed-test mule) large body Moroso and I find the drain valve & 90 degree elbow feature most annoying to access due to my large hands. The Moroso supplied orange VINYL cap became a sticky mess as it began to melt from the exhaust manifold heat. My solution was to install a RUBBER vacuum cap, as residual oil will drip from the uncapped elbow. Otherwise, the separator performs just fine and the large body is a nice-to-have feature.

I’ve decided to go with a different Moroso separtor, PN: 85604 as it’s plug & play for the 2011-14 Roush superchargers and sans the drain valve feature.

http://www.moroso.com/eb/catalog/navigationPath//%7B35536%7D::Air-Oil%20Separator%20Small%20Body.html?entryId=catalo g.productgroup.&expand=true&menuId=main.menu

As lakeguy77 noted, the supplied raw steel bracket finish definitely needs some help in the cosmetic dept. Since Moroso claims it’s made from stainless steel, I’ll try to polish it up and see if I can get a nice shiny finish?

Attachment 192593

FromZto5 6/15/14 11:21 AM

^ hmmmm

given the above 2 posts about the Moroso, I'm thinking of going Bob's. Cheaper, nice mounting bracket, better hoses, easier drain, also air hose from bottom to top, trapping more oil?

typesredline 6/15/14 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6816196)
^ hmmmm given the above 2 posts about the Moroso, I'm thinking of going Bob's. Cheaper, nice mounting bracket, better hoses, easier drain, also air hose from bottom to top, trapping more oil?

Yes. Those exact reasons are why I bought bobs. I'm also about 20 min from them so I picked it up and saw the facilities first hand. Impressive to say the least.

lakeguy77 6/15/14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by silverstate777 (Post 6816157)
My solution was to install a RUBBER vacuum cap, as residual oil will drip from the uncapped elbow.

What size vacuum cap is that? I'd read about the issues with the plastic cap melting so didn't even put it on, threw it out during install.

lakeguy77 6/15/14 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6816196)
^ hmmmm

given the above 2 posts about the Moroso, I'm thinking of going Bob's. Cheaper, nice mounting bracket, better hoses, easier drain, also air hose from bottom to top, trapping more oil?

If I was in the US and could get free (or cheap) shipping, I'd go Bob's as well. I ordered the Moroso with a bunch of other stuff so it ended up being a couple bucks cheaper.

silverstate777 6/15/14 03:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lakeguy77 (Post 6816263)
What size vacuum cap is that? I'd read about the issues with the plastic cap melting so didn't even put it on, threw it out during install.

I used the 1/2" size, as it was a snug fit to the separator drain elbow and my exposed Roush strut threads:

Attachment 192586

Attachment 192587

FromZto5 6/18/14 06:57 PM

got my refund for my jlt oil separator and ordered a new bobs one in silver. Decided against brushed or black or cf or blue. Silver would go well with my boss stb. I also just got the standard kit, strut tower mount, brass fittings, and regular hoses. I can upgrade to colored fittings and a stainless hose in the future.

Jazzman442 6/18/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by typesredline (Post 6816243)
Yes. Those exact reasons are why I bought bobs. I'm also about 20 min from them so I picked it up and saw the facilities first hand. Impressive to say the least.

typesredline, Wow this is a small world. I am about 45 minutes away from Bob's Where in Florida are you? I'm just North of Clearwater.

I'm torn between Bobs and UPR??

UPR looks nicer but im still deciding.

FromZto5 6/18/14 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442 (Post 6817667)
typesredline, Wow this is a small world. I am about 45 minutes away from Bob's Where in Florida are you? I'm just North of Clearwater. I'm torn between Bobs and UPR?? UPR looks nicer but im still deciding.

From what I heard, the upr doesn't function as well as bobs. In fact, I read from a lot folks that upr has bad customer service and their products aren't up to snuff. Again, I have no experience first hand, but just from what I heard.

typesredline 6/18/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442 (Post 6817667)
typesredline, Wow this is a small world. I am about 45 minutes away from Bob's Where in Florida are you? I'm just North of Clearwater. I'm torn between Bobs and UPR?? UPR looks nicer but im still deciding.

Go Bobs. No question. I'm in Lutz :thumbsup:. Bobs is about 20 min from the job though.

FromZto5 6/19/14 10:40 AM

My Bob's shipped.... awaiting arrival...

:D

FromZto5 6/19/14 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My used jlt arrived today. Mounted it as interim until my Bobs arrives next week. Then I'm swapping it.

Then I'm shimmying myself a new setup to move the jlt to the driver side with my own fittings and hoses.

MJJ 6/19/14 08:38 PM

Driver side is a waste.

And Yes Bob's is the right choice. (Steve is the actual fabricator). Bob, his boss let him use the companies CNC machines hence the name.

He is a good guy. I have had mine since he started making them. He had a GT500, sold it and now he has a Lambo.

FromZto5 6/19/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MJJ (Post 6818134)
Driver side is a waste. And Yes Bob's is the right choice. (Steve is the actual fabricator). Bob, his boss let him use the companies CNC machines hence the name. He is a good guy. I have had mine since he started making them. He had a GT500, sold it and now he has a Lambo.

Sean what's up sir...

Yeah, I talked and worked with Steve. Great guy. I went with silver to go with my boss stb. Arriving next week.

So not worth doing drivers eh?

Hey, where could I get high end fittings and braided or stainless hoses locally?

MJJ 6/19/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6818142)
Sean what's up sir...

Yeah, I talked and worked with Steve. Great guy. I went with silver to go with my boss stb. Arriving next week.

So not worth doing drivers eh?

Hey, where could I get high end fittings and braided or stainless hoses locally?

Not sure on the best place locally to buy them, I would ask Steve for his recommendation for an online vendor.

Drivers side at least on the GT500 is nothing more than cosmetic and extra weight. I assume similar for the 5.0 but not 100% sure.