The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso) (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/oil-separators-fate-jlt-vs-bobs-vs-moroso-531030/)

FromZto5 6/13/14 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6815322)
No. That's not engine oil. It's the moisture being filtered out of the oily air circulating through the engine. And no, it's not something you'd pour into your oil. It's a thinner fluid than oil, it's a byproduct of the combustion process that gets suspended in the air in the engine

That's very interesting Gabe… So if it's not engine oil, oil doesn't just materialize out of thin air. There has to be a source. So if it's recirculating inside, and it's from moisture, where is it really coming from?

This is very interesting pop corn material… I love learning new things.

Gabe 6/13/14 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815325)
That's very interesting Gabe… So if it's not engine oil, oil doesn't just materialize out of thin air. There has to be a source. So if it's recirculating inside, and it's from moisture, where is it really coming from?

This is very interesting pop corn material… I love learning new things.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positi...ion-system.htm

"... A mixture of air and gasoline is pumped through a system of tubes called the intake manifold through each cylinder's intake valve (or valves), where a spark from a spark plug causes the mixture to explode in the open space at the top of the cylinder called the combustion chamber.
a certain amount of that mixture of air and gasoline is pulled down by the piston and slips through the piston rings into the crankcase, which is the protective cover that insulates the crankshaft. This escaping gas is called blow-by and it's unavoidable."

Gabe 6/13/14 09:12 AM

So like I said above, it's not oil that gets collected in the catch can.
It's liquefied hydrocarbons from the blow-by that's in the crankcase air being pumped through the PCV system.

mfc133 6/13/14 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by silverstate777 (Post 6815238)
Zto5,
I have an extra JLT (black) passenger side separator you can have for the cost of shipping. Fits 2011-14 mustang GT. Check your PM's

If Zto5 doesn't pick this up I'd be interested. PM me a price if you want.

RacerX27 6/13/14 09:31 AM

I'm not seeing the benefit of a catch can.

So on average if it catches 1 oz of oil in 1000 miles, @20 miles to the gallon you'll pull about 6,400 oz of fuel thru the intake.

I think this catch can thing is crazy talk. "The oil is bad and has to be stopped" and some of the same folks that have a catch can think the CAI stock is spot on and perfect.

I lol at alot of you guys.

FromZto5 6/13/14 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6815335)
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positi...ion-system.htm "... A mixture of air and gasoline is pumped through a system of tubes called the intake manifold through each cylinder's intake valve (or valves), where a spark from a spark plug causes the mixture to explode in the open space at the top of the cylinder called the combustion chamber. ... a certain amount of that mixture of air and gasoline is pulled down by the piston and slips through the piston rings into the crankcase, which is the protective cover that insulates the crankshaft. This escaping gas is called blow-by and it's unavoidable."

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6815338)
So like I said above, it's not oil that gets collected in the catch can. It's liquefied hydrocarbons from the blow-by that's in the crankcase air being pumped through the PCV system.

Gabe thank you for the educational read. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by RacerX27 (Post 6815351)
I'm not seeing the benefit of a catch can. So on average if it catches 1 oz of oil in 1000 miles, @20 miles to the gallon you'll pull about 6,400 oz of fuel thru the intake. I think this catch can thing is crazy talk. "The oil is bad and has to be stopped" and some of the same folks that have a catch can think the CAI stock is spot on and perfect. I lol at alot of you guys.

I don't know enough to disagree with you. I'm on the road to getting educated however :)

What I do know, is all the tuners and performance installers, esp of superchargers and turbochargers, is that it's not as crucial to have it on NA engines. On an FI engine though, it's imperative. Reasons are due to increased compression, octane levels, etc. How much truth there is to that, I don't know. Like I said, I'm learning.

One thing can be certain though...putting a catch can on the car is NOT a bad thing correct? Consider me the "fool" who spent 115 bucks to be "safe".

mfc133 6/13/14 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815367)
What I do know, is all the tuners and performance installers, esp of superchargers and turbochargers, is that it's not as crucial to have it on NA engines. On an FI engine though, it's imperative. Reasons are due to increased compression, octane levels, etc. How much truth there is to that, I don't know. Like I said, I'm learning

Z you're definitely right, they're all but required on a FI car. And now Ford Racing says the blow-by is the #1 cause of pinging on their ProCal tunes. They actually recommend running an oil separator in their published instruction sheet.

Gabe 6/13/14 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815367)
Gabe thank you for the educational read. I appreciate it.

You're welcome :)

I, for one, can't wait to get oil separators installed on my car, and most likely on the girlfriend's GT500 as well.

Just need the right deal

laserred38 6/13/14 11:34 AM

Got an email from Bob's that the standard kits are on back order but in production this week, so it will ship out next week instead of this week. I don't have my car, so that's okay with me. I'm glad they told me asap versus waiting. Little hiccup, but so far their CS is still 10/10 so far...

FromZto5 6/13/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mfc133 (Post 6815377)
Z you're definitely right, they're all but required on a FI car. And now Ford Racing says the blow-by is the #1 cause of pinging on their ProCal tunes. They actually recommend running an oil separator in their published instruction sheet.

That is VERY interesting to know. So good thing we're doing all the right things. So far, I've put 1k miles since my Maggie upgrade. I hope in that 1k, nothing catastrophic due to blow-by has gotten through Lol...

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6815420)
You're welcome :)

I, for one, can't wait to get oil separators installed on my car, and most likely on the girlfriend's GT500 as well.

Just need the right deal

Gabe, don't wait too long. Why not the Moroso or Bob's?

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6815423)
Got an email from Bob's that the standard kits are on back order but in production this week, so it will ship out next week instead of this week. I don't have my car, so that's okay with me. I'm glad they told me asap versus waiting. Little hiccup, but so far their CS is still 10/10 so far...

Patrick... thanks for info. So I will probably have to wait before I get mine too? :(

SGM SCOTT 6/13/14 10:52 PM

So is the basic 2011+ 5.0 passenger side oil separator for $115 bucks all I need?

p

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815475)
That is VERY interesting to know. So good thing we're doing all the right things. So far, I've put 1k miles since my Maggie upgrade. I hope in that 1k, nothing catastrophic due to blow-by has gotten through Lol...

Gabe, don't wait too long. Why not the Moroso or Bob's?

Patrick... thanks for info. So I will probably have to wait before I get mine too? :(

laserred38 6/14/14 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by SGM SCOTT (Post 6815707)
So is the basic 2011+ 5.0 passenger side oil separator for $115 bucks all I need? p

That's the gist of what Bob's told me...

FromZto5 6/14/14 06:45 AM

Still debating... Moroso or bobs. Hmmm.

I also bought that used jlt off of john. Too good a deal to pass up. Will use as a spare or take the connectors off for use with my bobs

Gabe 6/14/14 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815767)
Still debating... Moroso or bobs. Hmmm.

I also bought that used jlt off of john. Too good a deal to pass up. Will use as a spare or take the connectors off for use with my bobs

Will this JLT conversion kit work with the Magnuson?

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=625

BBM3 6/14/14 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX27 (Post 6815351)
I'm not seeing the benefit of a catch can.

So on average if it catches 1 oz of oil in 1000 miles, @20 miles to the gallon you'll pull about 6,400 oz of fuel thru the intake.

I think this catch can thing is crazy talk. "The oil is bad and has to be stopped" and some of the same folks that have a catch can think the CAI stock is spot on and perfect.

I lol at alot of you guys.

I installed a separator yesterday in advance of my Trackey because of this from Ford Racing Trackey FAQ.

"What if a customer complains about excessive pinging?
• Verify that only 91 or higher octane fuel is in the fuel tank.
• Verify coolant mixture is at least 50% water.
• Verify that oil consumption is not excessive. If it is, there may be oil in the intake
manifold which is causing the pinging. This is by far the most common cause of reported pinging concerns.
Suggest the use of an oil separator in the PCV line between the passenger side valve cover and the air inlet tube."

I have no idea how they quantify Excessive Oil Consumption however I see no harm in installing a separator and eliminating the possibility of detonation caused by not having one.
Cheap insurance in my opinion.

EDIT:
Just noticed mfc133 mentioned this in post #27 above.

lakeguy77 6/14/14 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd like to add a little bit of first hand experience to this thread. I got my car today, brand new bone-stock GT 6-speed. Was sitting at EXACTLY 25 kms when I pulled into my garage. Here's some photos of the PCV connector when I pulled it off to install my Moroso can.

Attachment 192606

Attachment 192607

It's a little tough to see, but after 25 kms (~15 miles) of very light driving (pouring rain today, I babied this thing home) there's a small puddle in the connector.

I understand that these cars do produce a little more through the PCV during break-in, and it'll subside over time, but that seems like a lot to me, too much not to have a separator on it.

FromZto5 6/14/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6815777)
Will this JLT conversion kit work with the Magnuson? http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=625

Gabe... I think the stock jlt passenger side should work with the Maggie...since the Maggie kit calls for an exact reuse of the stock pcv passenger line. The roush and whipple blowers have the pcv connection towards the firewall. The Maggie is almost at the same spot as stock, towards the front.

Originally Posted by BBM3 (Post 6815820)
I installed a separator yesterday in advance of my Trackey because of this from Ford Racing Trackey FAQ. "What if a customer complains about excessive pinging? • Verify that only 91 or higher octane fuel is in the fuel tank. • Verify coolant mixture is at least 50% water. • Verify that oil consumption is not excessive. If it is, there may be oil in the intake manifold which is causing the pinging. This is by far the most common cause of reported pinging concerns. Suggest the use of an oil separator in the PCV line between the passenger side valve cover and the air inlet tube." I have no idea how they quantify Excessive Oil Consumption however I see no harm in installing a separator and eliminating the possibility of detonation caused by not having one. Cheap insurance in my opinion. EDIT: Just noticed mfc133 mentioned this in post #27 above.

Wow... If ford racing itself recommending an oil separator, I can't see why installing one is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by lakeguy77 (Post 6815963)
I'd like to add a little bit of first hand experience to this thread. I got my car today, brand new bone-stock GT 6-speed. Was sitting at EXACTLY 25 kms when I pulled into my garage. Here's some photos of the PCV connector when I pulled it off to install my Moroso can. It's a little tough to see, but after 25 kms (~15 miles) of very light driving (pouring rain today, I babied this thing home) there's a small puddle in the connector. I understand that these cars do produce a little more through the PCV during break-in, and it'll subside over time, but that seems like a lot to me, too much not to have a separator on it.

Thank you for that insight... Now I know I have 8000miles worth of puddling in my pcv lines :(. Better late than never I guess :)

lakeguy77 6/14/14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 6815976)
Thank you for that insight... Now I know I have 8000miles worth of puddling in my pcv lines :(. Better late than never I guess :)

Honestly, I'm a touch concerned about the amount that was in there, but not raising the red flags just yet. Going to monitor it over the next 1500 kms or so and empty the can on a regular basis and see how much I get out of it.

lakeguy77 6/14/14 06:38 PM

Should also add...you being supercharged and as I recall you were disappointed in your numbers...could there be a degree or two of timing in that thing with a cleaned up intake/PCV system? ;)

FromZto5 6/14/14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lakeguy77 (Post 6815991)
Should also add...you being supercharged and as I recall you were disappointed in your numbers...could there be a degree or two of timing in that thing with a cleaned up intake/PCV system? ;)

Nah... It was low due to lack of skill of the dyno operator and conditions. I was heat soaked during his one of 4 "test runs" before I even started my 3 "real" runs, within 15 minutes. :rolleyes: and his correction factors were way off. I'm getting dyno'd again correctly from a more reputable location.