Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil life monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/14, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrampsV6
I would change it coming out of storage. Even if it is only for a few months in storage and starting it a letting it warm up to operating temp a couple times a month t There may be condensation build up happening. Look at the gas money and other maintaince cost you saved not driving the mustang and get piece of mind for a $50 oil change
Exactly!!!
Old 12/18/14, 12:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrampsV6
I would change it coming out of storage. Even if it is only for a few months in storage and starting it a letting it warm up to operating temp a couple times a month t
There may be condensation build up happening. Look at the gas money and other maintaince cost you saved not driving the mustang and get piece of mind for a $50 oil change
Originally Posted by shayner
Exactly!!!
Prove it. Send a sample to Blackstone Labs and then come back here and post the report.
Old 12/19/14, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Prove what!!! To you? Christ are you 10 yrs old.
I'll change my oil once a month if I want to, I certainly don't have to prove **** to you!
Old 12/19/14, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'll change my oil once a month if I want to, I certainly don't have to prove **** to you!
Especially if your traveling 10k miles monthly. I'm gonna change mine every 10 miles. Ha
Old 12/19/14, 10:55 AM
Post *****

Old 12/19/14, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My fiancee's son has a 2014 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 in it that he bought new in July of this year. I changed the oil for him at around 7,000+ miles. He is an over the road welder so he travels a lot. His truck was getting within a 1,000 miles to the 10,000 miles on this oil change before he left again at the beginning of the week. Yesterday he tells her his oil indicator came on saying he had 300 miles until his oil needed to be changed. So this tells me the OLM will pretty much go down to 0% when you hit 10,000 miles on the oil change.
Old 12/19/14, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Donate the slightly used oil to something else. Mower, Lawn tractor, snow blower..... If its still ok why not use it on something else.
Here is another thought. Drain the oil at storage and don't put oil into it until your ready to take it out of storage. Just thinking.
Old 12/19/14, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
My fiancee's son has a 2014 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 in it that he bought new in July of this year. I changed the oil for him at around 7,000+ miles. He is an over the road welder so he travels a lot. His truck was getting within a 1,000 miles to the 10,000 miles on this oil change before he left again at the beginning of the week. Yesterday he tells her his oil indicator came on saying he had 300 miles until his oil needed to be changed. So this tells me the OLM will pretty much go down to 0% when you hit 10,000 miles on the oil change.
That's what I been saying. Ha ha ha. Thank youuuuuu. Dance

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/19/14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12/19/14, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Thought you'd like that one
Hahahaha.
Seriously though, to each his own.
Old 12/19/14, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do this I recommend changing your drain plug every 10,000 miles.
Old 12/19/14, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
That's what I been saying. Ha ha ha. Thank youuuuuu. Dance
Yeah, I said that a page ago when I posted the actual text from Ford about it:

"Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions. Under normal conditions a customer will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to one year or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change."

Doesn't change the fact that the interval can and will vary depending on the various conditions - 10,000 is just the top end so Ford avoids sludging problems like Toyota had a few years ago when they gave too long of intervals.
Old 12/19/14, 11:42 PM
Post *****

Thought you'd like that one
Hahahaha.
Seriously though, to each his own.
What are you a shareholder in Lukoil trying to recover his losses or something? Trying to bail Putin out?? Suggesting everyone just dump a valuable resource based on emotion not fact??

Old 12/20/14, 03:10 AM
Bullitt Member

What are you a shareholder in Lukoil trying to recover his losses or something? Trying to bail Putin out?? Suggesting everyone just dump a valuable resource based on emotion not fact??
You just can't let it go can you... Lmao.
And no to the above. What's the issue ? Honestly.
Sounds like your environmentalist... A tree hugger of sorts.
The kind of fella that has a shower on Tuesday and puts back on his underwear from Monday.
Facts or no facts, it's what I've always done and will continue to do, regardless of people think.
Fresh oil in the spring, run the car till October putting on at best 7500 Kms and change the oil, store the car with monthly start ups and repeat process in April... For some reason you almost loose sleep because I do this... Lol.
Maybe one day I'll try and hug a tree to but for now pave everything so I can adventure new roads....
Old 12/20/14, 03:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh and could someone boot this thread?
Old 12/20/14, 03:29 AM
Post *****

You just can't let it go can you... Lmao.
And no to the above. What's the issue ? Honestly.
The issue? This forum is DEAD.
Old 12/20/14, 04:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Monthly start ups? What the heck for?
Old 12/20/14, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

The issue? This forum is DEAD.
Forum is not dead...there is so much to be learned here.
If there is an issue with my motor I'll fix it... As for fluids I'll change them when ( I ) personally feel the time is right, I don't exhaust the living hell out of them to the point of causing harm to anything internal.
You have a point sir but your persistent as a vacuum salesmen and I'm not buying... Lol

Final question to you.
Every year lets say in October a person stores his or her car... Puts fresh oil in it and does not start the car all winter... Come spring drains the oil and saves it and repeats process for 5 years let's say.
In your opinion that's ok?
Hang on lets get lab tests... Seriously!!!!
I'm so dam busy I hardly have time to stop... Kids ,house, wife, dog, cottage.. Work...casual time.
Now it's oil analysis.... FML.
Old 12/20/14, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Forum is not dead...there is so much to be learned here. If there is an issue with my motor I'll fix it... As for fluids I'll change them when ( I ) personally feel the time is right, I don't exhaust the living hell out of them to the point of causing harm to anything internal. You have a point sir but your persistent as a vacuum salesmen and I'm not buying... Lol Final question to you. Every year lets say in October a person stores his or her car... Puts fresh oil in it and does not start the car all winter... Come spring drains the oil and saves it and repeats process for 5 years let's say. In your opinion that's ok? Hang on lets get lab tests... Seriously!!!! I'm so dam busy I hardly have time to stop... Kids ,house, wife, dog, cottage.. Work...casual time. Now it's oil analysis.... FML.
I'm cool with your process. It's just not mine. I have to say you take good care of your motor.
Old 12/20/14, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm changing my oil every 7,500 miles or there about. I don't drive the pony in the snow so the winter it rarely gets driven from January to March. Once April comes around and no more snow and salt is washed away, she will come back out.

I'm going to start doing 10k oil change intervals regardless what the oil life monitoring system indicates. I will change the type of oil filter that I am using. I'm currently using Napa gold oil filters and will switch to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter. I will also change from using Supertech fully synthetic oil to either Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge fully synthetic Extended Performance oil. Both of those oils are good for up to 15000 mile oil change intervals

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 12/20/14 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12/22/14, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I checked my Oil Life Monitor on December 4th and it read 57%. I took the battery out of the car and put it on a battery tender. Today on the 22nd I put the battery back in the car and started her up. I let the car idle until it reached operating temperature about 20 minutes. I check the Oil Life Monitor and it still read 57%. So 18 days elapsed and the Oil Life Monitor didn't budge.

By my calculation, the OLM should have gone down about 5% during that time frame.

It would be nice to know if Ford can chime in and tell us how the OLM actually works and does it even work with the battery removed? What happens when you put the battery back in?

I left the battery in the car this time and will check again in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Oil life monitor?