Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Life Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/10, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene K
Most synthetics are blended with an ad pack designed to go 50-300% longer than most conventionals.
Unless you extend the drain intervals their is no advantage to Synthetic unless you have a special case like General Extreme Oil Temps (Open Track), Localized Extreme Temps (Turbo Bearings) or Shearing or Gas Dilution (Direct Injection).

Based on the design of the 5.0L and the history of the Modulars which this engine still shares some design elements with It should be pretty easy on oil so I dont think Synthetic will be called for at shorter drain intervals.

The valvetrain design of the 3.7L makes me think it will be harder on oil.

If Im going to go to go to 0% and maybe 10,000 miles on some drains in the 5.0 the Full Synthetic just makes me feel better unless I run an analysis on the Motorcraft to convince myself that its up to it.

I have a bit more faith in extended drains than many here because Im used to heavy diesels going over a million miles on 30,000 mile changes of conventional 15W-40 or 60,000 mi changes of 5W-40 Synthetic. I remember when anything over 10,000 miles was considered foolhardy and the engines only lasted 600,000 miles. That said the additive package on those oils blow away what you see in car oils for the most part.

Bottom Line for me:
Without Analysis MC 5W20 SB at 30% or PP 5W-20 FS at 0%.

Call me an idiot but I think the OLM is spot on. I will run till about 20 percent or so.

I wish I could afford a GT. I am broke. I want a new GT bad. I evny all of you.
Old 6/10/10, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene K
Most synthetics are blended with an ad pack designed to go 50-300% longer than most conventionals.
Unless you extend the drain intervals their is no advantage to Synthetic unless you have a special case like General Extreme Oil Temps (Open Track), Localized Extreme Temps (Turbo Bearings) or Shearing or Gas Dilution (Direct Injection).

Based on the design of the 5.0L and the history of the Modulars which this engine still shares some design elements with It should be pretty easy on oil so I dont think Synthetic will be called for at shorter drain intervals.

The valvetrain design of the 3.7L makes me think it will be harder on oil.

If Im going to go to go to 0% and maybe 10,000 miles on some drains in the 5.0 the Full Synthetic just makes me feel better unless I run an analysis on the Motorcraft to convince myself that its up to it.

I have a bit more faith in extended drains than many here because Im used to heavy diesels going over a million miles on 30,000 mile changes of conventional 15W-40 or 60,000 mi changes of 5W-40 Synthetic. I remember when anything over 10,000 miles was considered foolhardy and the engines only lasted 600,000 miles. That said the additive package on those oils blow away what you see in car oils for the most part.

Bottom Line for me:
Without Analysis MC 5W20 SB at 30% or PP 5W-20 FS at 0%.

Gene, thank you.

I am really torn about this. I am just not sure rigt now. I agree but disagree with you. I am confused. I hope you understand. I am goining to look further int this.