Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Leak = Broken Heart

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/13, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil Leak = Broken Heart

Really down about my Stang right now. Have a car show tomorrow (Will hopefully post some good pictures). So today I put my car on a hoist at work to clean it really good. While I was underneath it I found a oil leak from the timing cover just above the AC compressor. It initially looked like just one drip. After I dropped down the under cover it actually has dripped onto the AC compressor, then onto the steering rack. There was even a small spot of damp dust on the lower cover. At less than 1500 miles I am disappointed of course. But as a tech for 3 years and a Service Advisor for almost 5 I completely understand these things happen. I even anticipated someday having to re seal the timing cover myself but figured it would be many years down the road long after the car was out of warranty. And do not get me wrong... I am glad the repair will be under warranty (Sort of). I HATE other people working on my cars. They never are as cautious as I am and something will surely get scratched, bent, broken or otherwise... I spent an additional 20 minutes cleaning up everything the oil had dripped on since I will surely postpone this repair due to my apprehension of others touching my car (I would not even let the dealer drive the car before I took delivery). Not looking for much other than sympathy I guess?... And to ask if anyone else has had to have the timing cover re sealed on their 5.0? I took 2 pictures. One of the leak and one of oil dripping off the compressor bolts. The quality is terrible though. Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 10/8/13, 02:57 PM
SVS
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 5.0 bought new three years ago. Less than 30k on the clock and it has the same leak.. In the dealership right now for repairs. Yes I'm bummed but also glad it's only a leak and will be fixed under warranty. Part of the reason I bought a new vehicle is for the warranty and having only the dealer do the work..

Been dealing with aftermarket shops for much of my motoring life and am happy to more-a-less be done with that and have a dealer take care of the vehicle.

Will post back after I get the car back later this week.
Old 10/8/13, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=SVS;6698039]I have a 2011 5.0 bought new three years ago. Less than 30k on the clock and it has the same leak.. In the dealership right now for repairs. Yes I'm bummed but also glad it's only a leak and will be fixed under warranty. Part of the reason I bought a new vehicle is for the warranty and having only the dealer do the work..

Been dealing with aftermarket shops for much of my motoring life and am happy to more-a-less be done with that and have a dealer take care of the vehicle.

not to burst your bubble and talk bad about your dealer in particular but dealers don't always do good work imo. I was on the oil rack at one for almost a year and saw some techs had simple leaks or other easy repairs come back 3 or 4 times because they cut corners and didn't do it right. dealer techs get paid by the labor hour instead of hourly so they usually try to get it done as fast as possible. not saying all dealer techs are bad so don't get mad just sharing my experiences. sometimes small shops have the better techs because they cant stand the dealer environment

edit: also dealers are out to just get more money from you such as giving free inspections and marking stuff bad that's still good or barely starting to wear just to try to scare you into buying their work

Last edited by LivinTheStangLife; 10/8/13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10/8/13, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow!... Someone brought my thread back from the dead! Was intending on updating this in a few days anyway. A few weeks ago I took my car to the local dealer. I wanted to get a feel for them and see if I felt comfortable letting them work on my vehicle. I could not stand the oil leak! I spoke with an advisor whom I expressed my concerns to. I let him know exactly how particular about my vehicle I am and what my expectations were about the condition it should be in when it is returned to me. I also asked if there dealer would allow me to pay the tech something so he would be less worried about crappy warranty pay and more concerned with fixing my vehicle properly and not scratching/breaking it. Ultimately I was totally impressed with the Master Tech who worked on my vehicle. He was very knowledgeable about the repair (I researched everything he said on Alldata after the fact). The 5.0 timing cover has 6 places where a small amount of silicone sealer is applied. Once applied the installer only has 5 minutes to properly torque all of the timing cover bolts or a leak is likely to occur. I could rattle on about my experience. I have meticulously looked over my vehicle (except underneath which I have not had time to do yet) and have yet to find a mark... Including under hood. I did give the tech some cash... Which he reluctantly accepted. He was a stand up guy... Which as an Advisor my self I know is not always the case with technicians. Good luck with your repair! Hope your experience is as good as mine was!
Old 10/8/13, 08:04 PM
SVS
V6 Member

Nice to hear on your repair. I did a search on this topic and found yer thread and registered to post. Glad I did. Was on a different Mustang forum years back when the car was new, this site I think is better.

Not many have this issue. Good to hear the dealer did a good job. I was assured by the service adviser at HB Ford and by the tech the repair would be done correctly. I trust them have bought several cars from them. Have not needed major mechanical work so here we go. Call it a learning experience. Did buy tires from them.. Never bought tires from a dealer but did it as they treated me well and beat everyone else's price..

I'm going to take excellent care of my vehicle and do all the needed maintenance and drive the **** out if it... It's what's it's made for.

Old 10/8/13, 08:27 PM
GT Member

Thats a really good pic. It's funny how our new muscle looks gigantic compared to the 60's and 70's thanx to government mandates!
Old 10/8/13, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had not found much of anything on 5.0 timing cover leaks either. The tech who repaired my car said he has done around 5 of them in the 5.0 in the F150. He said the Mustang was actually easier because he had more room to work.
Old 10/8/13, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SVS

Wow, 69 Trans Am. Nice rare car. Maybe a clone though. I'm an old Pontiac fan, always wanted a 70-73 Trans Am.
Old 10/9/13, 07:33 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Donut Derelicts meet every Saturday morning.. Adams and Magnolia in Huntington Beach

Old 10/9/13, 09:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by SVS
I have a 2011 5.0 bought new three years ago. Less than 30k on the clock and it has the same leak.. In the dealership right now for repairs. Yes I'm bummed but also glad it's only a leak and will be fixed under warranty. Part of the reason I bought a new vehicle is for the warranty and having only the dealer do the work..

Hello SVS,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Glad to learn you’re already bringing it in to get looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He/she can let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.), or any type of assistance available.

Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Wow!... Someone brought my thread back from the dead! Was intending on updating this in a few days anyway. A few weeks ago I took my car to the local dealer. I wanted to get a feel for them and see if I felt comfortable letting them work on my vehicle. I could not stand the oil leak! I spoke with an advisor whom I expressed my concerns to. I let him know exactly how particular about my vehicle I am and what my expectations were about the condition it should be in when it is returned to me. I also asked if there dealer would allow me to pay the tech something so he would be less worried about crappy warranty pay and more concerned with fixing my vehicle properly and not scratching/breaking it. Ultimately I was totally impressed with the Master Tech who worked on my vehicle. He was very knowledgeable about the repair (I researched everything he said on Alldata after the fact). The 5.0 timing cover has 6 places where a small amount of silicone sealer is applied. Once applied the installer only has 5 minutes to properly torque all of the timing cover bolts or a leak is likely to occur. I could rattle on about my experience. I have meticulously looked over my vehicle (except underneath which I have not had time to do yet) and have yet to find a mark... Including under hood. I did give the tech some cash... Which he reluctantly accepted. He was a stand up guy... Which as an Advisor my self I know is not always the case with technicians. Good luck with your repair! Hope your experience is as good as mine was!
Good to learn your dealer took good care of you and your ‘Stang, 14Glassback. If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 10/9/13, 09:43 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello SVS,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Glad to learn you’re already bringing it in to get looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He/she can let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.), or any type of assistance available.

Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Will do......
Old 10/10/13, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SVS
Will do......
Great!

Deysha
Old 10/10/13, 09:18 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Great!

Deysha

As an update got a call early this morning from my service adviser and he said the Tech stayed late last night and finished the repair. Will be picking up after work later today.
Old 10/11/13, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by SVS
As an update got a call early this morning from my service adviser and he said the Tech stayed late last night and finished the repair. Will be picking up after work later today.
Awesome! Is everything ok now?

Deysha
Old 10/11/13, 09:42 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Awesome! Is everything ok now?

Deysha
Does appear to be so. I spoke with the Tech that performed the repairs, thanked him and said quality work matters and this is a vehicle I plan on keeping and properly maintaining. He's a Master Tech and has been with HB Ford for 10 years. Car drove fine, no smells, sounds or detectable difference in NVH characteristics or drivability traits. Feels strong and solid just as it did when I brought it in.

With leaks the test is usually long term, especially with having to reseal parts that prior were not leaking.

As stated earlier part of the reason I bought new was I wanted a factory warranty and a reputable company with trained technicians. Most all major auto manufacturers offer this or they could not compete in the modern market place.

The 5.0 was designed very well. One of the telling features is the clean layout of systems, components and routing of the wiring and hoses. Those of us old enough remember the 70's and 80's and the nightmare an engine compartment was.

They all looked like this, or worse:

Now look at my Engine; picture from this Morning.

How much easier is it for the Technicians to get in there and work on the vehicle and do their Job? Much easier. A clean efficient design is easier to keep in optimal condition.

Here are some more Images from this morning:

This fastener is up against the cover actually keeping the loom off the motor, sort looks like it belongs elsewhere but I'm not sure and all other loom fasteners are affixed.

Not a drip or a gasket sealer anywhere that I could see.

Parts needed for repair:

The Beast herself glinting in the morning Sun...

Ford is really trying hard and putting out outstanding products...

Last edited by SVS; 10/11/13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10/11/13, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had another thread about your random fastener... If it is on the right side cylinder head harness then it is normal. I verified at my local dealer. All 5.0's have them and they attach to nothing.
Old 10/14/13, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SVS
Does appear to be so. I spoke with the Tech that performed the repairs, thanked him and said quality work matters and this is a vehicle I plan on keeping and properly maintaining. He's a Master Tech and has been with HB Ford for 10 years. Car drove fine, no smells, sounds or detectable difference in NVH characteristics or drivability traits. Feels strong and solid just as it did when I brought it in........

Ford is really trying hard and putting out outstanding products...
That's awesome, SVS! Thank you for the feedback.

Deysha
Old 10/14/13, 10:31 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Thats a really good pic. It's funny how our new muscle looks gigantic compared to the 60's and 70's thanx to government mandates!
See elsewhere, but its not entirely due to government regs. You could have a smaller car if you could live with a sweet set of 15" wheels and some 12" diameter brakes.
Old 11/20/13, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update: Took Ellie for what I anticipate to be the last run of the season tonight. After the drive I put her up on ramps to begin the cleaning process before covering her up for winter sleep. As I slid under the car my eyes wandered to the familiar bolt on the timing cover where the oil leak used to be... Only to find fresh oil present. Sigh... Guess we will start the process again in the spring.
Old 11/21/13, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Update: Took Ellie for what I anticipate to be the last run of the season tonight. After the drive I put her up on ramps to begin the cleaning process before covering her up for winter sleep. As I slid under the car my eyes wandered to the familiar bolt on the timing cover where the oil leak used to be... Only to find fresh oil present. Sigh... Guess we will start the process again in the spring.
Bummer...keep us updated on how they attempt repair this time.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak = Broken Heart