2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The Official Name Thread

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/10, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the only car I've ever named. I call it "Wildfire", inspired by the Michael Martin Murphy song of the same name.
Old 8/19/10, 11:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I named my '96 GT vert "Charismatic" after the 1999 Kentucky Derby winner who was born in 1996.
Old 8/19/10, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
This is the only car I've ever named. I call it "Wildfire", inspired by the Michael Martin Murphy song of the same name.
Ya know, not to be the bearer of bad tidings, but in that song the horse, named "Wildfire", died, as did the chicky boom-boom Michael Martin Murphy is singing about.
Old 8/19/10, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

^ LOL

< I'm considering naming my 2011 Mona, Like Mona the Kona lol

idk I'm still thinking about names
Old 8/19/10, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dream,
Good thread idea. I have been calling my little mustang the blue beast, as my 05 was the black beast. But, the while the car can certainly be a beast, it's more than just a blunt weapon. There is an intelligence and sophistication to it, while still retaining the ability to kick ****.

For this reason, I will call it, "Spenser" after Robert B. Parker's tough guy, wise cracking, exceedingly well read, detective character with a heart of gold. Spenser would quote Hemmingway one second, Friedrich Nietzsche the next and Stan Lee/Peter Parker/Siderman after that. Then he would quell the bad guys, often with the help of his amoral and deadly best friend hawk. Subsequent to that he would rescue the damsel or small child in distress and end the book preparing a gourmet meal and engaging in carnal bliss with the beautiful Susan Silverman, Harvard Phd, voracious sex kitten and the love of his life.

He could do it all. So can my Kona Blue 5.0. SPENSER, with an, "S" like the poet.

Last edited by eric n; 8/19/10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
.....I must have stumbled into the Mini Cooper forum....Sorry!
That's what I was thinking. That's one of the reasons I don't like being on the Mini Cooper forums, most of the people have cutesy little names for their cars. I didn't name my Mini Cooper, I didn't name any of the four Mustangs I've owned, heck, I've never felt the need to give a name to any of the 20+ cars I've owned. I just don't get it.
Old 8/19/10, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Dream,
Good thread idea. I have been calling my little mustang the blue beast, as my 05 was the black beast. But, the while the car can certainly be a beast, it's more than just a blunt weapon. There is an intelligence and sophistication to it, while still retaining the ability to kick ****.

For this reason, I will call it, "Spenser" after Robert B. Parker's tough guy, wise cracking, exceedingly well read, detective character with a heart of gold. Spenser would quote Hemmingway one second, Friedrich Nietzsche the next and Stan Lee/Peter Parker/Siderman after that. Then he would quell the bad guys, often with the help of his amoral and deadly best friend hawk. Subsequent to that he would rescue the damsel or small child in distress and end the book preparing a gourmet meal and engaging in carnal bliss with the beautiful Susan Silverman, Harvard Phd, voracious sex kitten and the love of his life.

He could do it all. So can Kona Blue 5.0. SPENSER, with an, "S" like the poet.
nice answer, probably one of the best. Sounds like there was some thought behind it!
Old 8/19/10, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dreamtheory
nice answer, probably one of the best. Sounds like there was some thought behind it!
Thanks for forcing me to think about it!
Old 8/20/10, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Maxhenry
Ya know, not to be the bearer of bad tidings, but in that song the horse, named "Wildfire", died, as did the chicky boom-boom Michael Martin Murphy is singing about.
Right. Wildfire was a pony so beloved that it's owner risked and lost her life trying to save it. Sad but beautiful.
Old 8/20/10, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

^ would you risk your life for your pony!? lol =P

I like it, Wildfire is a cool name
Old 8/20/10, 01:21 PM
Cobra R Member

You know how horrid these names sound...
No offense. But I mean... Prince, Wildfire, The ghost, and Mona?
Sounds like a horrible comic strip.

Naming a car never caught on with me...
It's like naming the TV.

"Hey guys, turn Tina on!... The game is about to start."
-*silence*
"What? ... You guys don't name your tv's?"

Same concept.
Old 8/20/10, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

^ nah not same thing, people have been doing this muscle cars were invented. Its a tradition. You just sound like an upset teenager
Old 8/20/10, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

I have my opinion you have yours. You don't see this thread filled with views or replies do you?
Naming a car Jenny or Dragon, or some other goofy term is what I find Juvenile...
Old 8/20/10, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
I have my opinion you have yours. You don't see this thread filled with views or replies do you?
Naming a car Jenny or Dragon, or some other goofy term is what I find Juvenile...
Next you'll be telling us that painting a giant Confederate flag on the roof of a car and calling it General Lee is silly. Well, OK, you'd be right on that one.
Old 8/20/10, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Ok, I'm in. In order:

1978 Mustang II Hatchback in Orange - The Orange Bomb. It blew up a lot (many repairs.)

1966 Thunderbird Town Landau, Emberglo - The 66. Sorta after Route 66 too.

1986 Mustang SVO - The SVO. I was being highly original with that one.

1987 Lincoln Mark VII - The Powerful Mark 7, or just Mark, depending. You can thank Speed Racer for the first.

1966 Mustang Sprint - None at first, but after restoration, it was The Muskrat!

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII - It was just That **** Car. Well, it was sometimes That F**king Car, depending. It broke in the *oddest* of ways and times. Hated it. This is a car model you couldn't pay me with enough zeros after a 1 on the check to drive anymore.

1997 Thunderbird V6 - Hooptybird. It did it's job though, better than the Mark VIII.

2006 Ford Mustang GT - Awesome. NOT "The Awesome", just "Awesome". Because she is, to me.

1995 Honda Pacific Coast PC800 Motorcycle - Ride. Because that's what she is, my Ride.

And there ya go.

Last edited by houtex; 8/20/10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 8/20/10, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Houtex,
Pretty impressive history.

Obviously every one is entitled to an opinion, but I don't think naming a car is remotely like naming the television. Most of us have some sort of emotional relationship with our cars. I know I do. My 9 year old son is sad that we sold my 2005 mustang and my 66 fastback before that. Cars aren't the same as pets, but they're more than just appliances.
Old 8/20/10, 08:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm... then why do boats - from skiffs to yachts with captains - have names painted on the back of them?

PS: a Chrysler forum has a similar thread.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/20/10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 8/20/10, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Houtex,
Pretty impressive history.

Obviously every one is entitled to an opinion, but I don't think naming a car is remotely like naming the television. Most of us have some sort of emotional relationship with our cars. I know I do. My 9 year old son is sad that we sold my 2005 mustang and my 66 fastback before that. Cars aren't the same as pets, but they're more than just appliances.
+1000 i agree 100%
Old 8/21/10, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
hmm... then why do boats - from skiffs to yachts with captains - have names painted on the back of them?

PS: a Chrysler forum has a similar thread.
Why do hurricanes - from category 1 to category 5- have names to them but not tornadoes?
Why are guitars named, but not drum sets?
Why do people name ipods but not phones?

anthropomorphism.
Old 8/21/10, 12:27 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anthropomorphism.
Back in the day, we just called that... imagination.

Quick Reply: The Official Name Thread