2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

OEM Glass Roof Info

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/13, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
OEM Glass Roof Info

So I picked up my new 14 on Saturday and learned something from my salesman I had not heard before. I extensively researched Mustangs and all the options I could in the long months before my car was ordered/built. One thing I never really bothered to research much was the glass roof. Just figured it was a straight forward factory installed option. My salesman informed me the reason my car had 8 miles on the odometer (I requested no test drive on the PDI) was that the glass roof cars are driven down the street from the factory to Fords Personalization Facility where the roof is installed. Since then I have been trying to find info on this with little luck. I did find info this facility exists and they mostly install things like bed liners and such. I cannot however find anything about the OEM Glass roof install procedures, pictures or anything. I can find all sorts of videos and pictures of aftermarket roofs which I do not care about at all. Plus I cannot imagine Ford would build a metal roof coupe and then proceed to drive it down the street, tear the interior out, cut the roof off and install a glass one. Does anyone have any info on this? A web site or anything? Thanks
Old 4/9/13, 06:39 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool. Didn't know that
Old 4/9/13, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you trying to see if the dealer lied and took an 8 mile "fun run" or are you really interested in how the production process occurs? It seems feasible that they may make all the cars with roofs and than remove the roof or modify it after words, that way all shells come the same from the factory.
Old 4/9/13, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Or the Car comes down the line without the roof and it is installed after the build, it is not something that comes on every Mustang so there probably is not a place on the line for it.
Old 4/9/13, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Either way: valuable consumer information abound in this thread..

Either:

Glass Roof optioned S197's are actually custom crafted/finished a la ASC or Car Kraft?

Or

Clearly stating somewhere 'NO TEST DRIVES' only eggs on Ford Stealership staff further to drive it.

Discuss!
Old 4/9/13, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Going by this
Glass Roof Mustangs will be assembled at the Automotive Alliance International plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The unique glass is installed at Ford’s adjacent vehicle personalization facility.
http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelye...glass-roof.htm
Old 4/9/13, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I truly want to know about the production of the vehicle. That kind of stuff interests me. And I purchased my vehicle thru the auto group I work for so they have no reason to lie to me about the 8 miles (I thought that sounded normal anyway). Plus my salesman knew how particular about the car I was... He personally removed my window sticker and put it in his desk so the detail guys did not shred it before I got the car. I just think from a production stand point it would be stupid for Ford to build a coupe with a metal roof, install pillar trims head liner and so forth... Only to drive the car down the street, remove said head liner and pillar trims, then proceed to cut off the metal roof to install a glass one. Seems wasteful... but anything is possible. Just would like some insight/inside info...
Old 4/9/13, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have seen a pic of a Glass Roof car come off the assembly line. There is no glass in the roof and it is put in afterwards. I can't find the pic but it showed the car without the glass roof parked outside in the parking lot of the assembly plant.

There is no cutting involved. The Roof Panel of a glass roof car is completely different than a Full Roof car ... when the car is bucked and welded the proper roof panel is installed before it ever hits the assembly line.

Last edited by dmhines; 4/9/13 at 07:53 PM.
Old 4/9/13, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I truly want to know about the production of the vehicle. That kind of stuff interests me. And I purchased my vehicle thru the auto group I work for so they have no reason to lie to me about the 8 miles (I thought that sounded normal anyway). Plus my salesman knew how particular about the car I was... He personally removed my window sticker and put it in his desk so the detail guys did not shred it before I got the car. I just think from a production stand point it would be stupid for Ford to build a coupe with a metal roof, install pillar trims head liner and so forth... Only to drive the car down the street, remove said head liner and pillar trims, then proceed to cut off the metal roof to install a glass one. Seems wasteful... but anything is possible. Just would like some insight/inside info...
They probably install the roof right after the body comes off the line, they wouldn't install all the trimming just to take them off. And as for the 8 miles mine came with either 6 or 8 on it so I would assume it happened somewhere in the production process or when it was off loaded and put into the show room.
Old 4/9/13, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI .. My glass Roof car had 7 miles on it at delivery.
Old 4/9/13, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Thanks that is a great start!... Exactly what I was looking for!
Old 4/9/13, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
I have seen a pic of a Glass Roof car come off the assembly line. There is no glass in the roof and it is put in afterwards. I can't find the pic but it showed the car without the glass roof parked outside in the parking lot of the assembly plant.

There is no cutting involved. The Roof Panel of a glass roof car is completely different than a Full Roof car ... when the car is bucked and welded the proper roof panel is installed before it ever hits the assembly line.
That is what I assumed... Just wanted confirmation.Thanks!
Old 4/9/13, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for that 8 miles or less I am free
Old 4/9/13, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

8 miles? Mine (no glass roof) had 27.5 miles on it when it finally got to the dealership!
Old 4/10/13, 12:00 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm sure they are separate roof setups. It would be an enormous waste of money and time to build it, send it down the road, cut it up, just to install something that would be easy to install on the line.
Old 4/10/13, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

12 miles on the odometer when i got my 2011 ( not glass roof).
Old 4/10/13, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 miles on my glass roof when delivered to me, and that includes the 2 miles or so the dealer drove it after taking it out of shipping mode ( so transporters don't beat on the cars ).
Old 4/10/13, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2014grabber
8 miles? Mine (no glass roof) had 27.5 miles on it when it finally got to the dealership!
Mine too.
Old 4/10/13, 08:58 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im pretty sure Ford itself does a basic performance test on their vehicles just to make sure everything functions properly.
Old 4/10/13, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Im pretty sure Ford itself does a basic performance test on their vehicles just to make sure everything functions properly.
They actually have a in ground Dyno before they leave the factory. If you have the chance to watch the MegaFactories show about the Mustang it is awesome!

Quick Reply: OEM Glass Roof Info