Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Octane experience

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/15, 11:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Ah, that's right. Variable cam timing. I forgot the V6 motors don't have that. That makes more sense, no timing adjustment based on octane.

Good point, that would make a difference across the curve.

I live in Michigan and most stations here have 10% ethanol in all the gasoline's, including 91. I don't remember seeing a pure gas anywhere in a long while.
There's at least one station in Brighton that had 91 E0 (sunoco near downtown). I don't run it in my mustang since it's tuned for 93, but my focus seemed to like it better. Very little difference, though.
Old 5/29/15, 03:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have ran 93 octane since day one. It does make a difference with performance and help keep the engine cleaner. I only buy named brand gas...I.E Exxon, shell, and Etc. I just placed new tires on the car a week ago, Goodyear Asymmetrical ZR rated. The traction is excellent. According to my track apps I pulled a 0-60 in 4.3s, lowest yet. I do not have a tune only axle back super 10s flowmasters.
Old 5/29/15, 07:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I live in Michigan and most stations here have 10% ethanol in all the gasoline's, including 91. I don't remember seeing a pure gas anywhere in a long while.
Hy-Vee, a Des Moines-based grocery store chain that is everywhere here in KC, sells pure gas 91 octane at all its gas stations, which is awesome for my Mustang and for my lawnmower and snowblower. It costs a bit more than ethanol-blended 91 but it's worth it, to me. My mileage is at least 2 MPG better and I think the car is happier.
Old 5/29/15, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Hy-Vee, a Des Moines-based grocery store chain that is everywhere here in KC, sells pure gas 91 octane at all its gas stations, which is awesome for my Mustang and for my lawnmower and snowblower. It costs a bit more than ethanol-blended 91 but it's worth it, to me. My mileage is at least 2 MPG better and I think the car is happier.
It would be nice to run pure gas with no ethanol. I wonder if the difference would be more noticeable, because I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91 right now (with 10% E). Car seems to pull just as hard, the only difference is I have more confidence that I won't get ping when I'm really pushing the car.
Old 5/29/15, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It would be nice to run pure gas with no ethanol. I wonder if the difference would be more noticeable, because I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91 right now (with 10% E). Car seems to pull just as hard, the only difference is I have more confidence that I won't get ping when I'm really pushing the car.

I'm with you. my last tank of gas running 87, I averaged between 25-26MGP which was 9.3L/100KM

Posted that in a different thread. Those are amazing numbers for a 300+HP car.

I've noticed my car pings more from lets say Esso than it does Costco. Costco is simply the best! and yeah, I'm referring to 87 octane from both pumps.
Old 5/29/15, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I say, run what you want!!! I run super.
Old 5/30/15, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always run 91 octane which is the highest you can get around here.

Wayne
Old 5/31/15, 04:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Maryland there is a gas station which sells 93 octane non-ethanol. Real gas, great for the mowers and small engines. I did not notice a difference in my car except for the premium price of about $1.00 more than regular 93 with ethanol blend. If your car is a daily driver the blend is fine. I would think the car companies have built their engines to accommodate the blend.
Old 5/31/15, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I've noticed my car pings more from lets say Esso than it does Costco. Costco is simply the best! and yeah, I'm referring to 87 octane from both pumps.
I really hate to bring this up since it would appear that you work for Costco or own their stock or have a special lifetime membership or something (judging by how many times you've mentioned them in this thread alone). But Costco is unbranded gasoline. Not only are they not "top tier", they're not even name brand. They get their gas from the lowest bidder so you don't know what you're getting. It could be Shell or BP one week and Joe's Petroleum the next. It's good that you're happy with what you buy but that's more luck than consistent product.
Old 5/31/15, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I really hate to bring this up since it would appear that you work for Costco or own their stock or have a special lifetime membership or something (judging by how many times you've mentioned them in this thread alone). But Costco is unbranded gasoline. Not only are they not "top tier", they're not even name brand. They get their gas from the lowest bidder so you don't know what you're getting. It could be Shell or BP one week and Joe's Petroleum the next. It's good that you're happy with what you buy but that's more luck than consistent product.
WhiteBird, Your Dead on. My Family use to be in the Gasoline business for Many years. Places like Costco and the local marks that sell gas are Tier 3. No two loads of fuel are the same and they only have the min required detergents necessary. Gasoline it pretty complicated. it is like Oil and the Additives. Some are good and some are Crap. For most non performance cars its not to big a deal. it burns and makes the car go.
Tier one for me and all my cars. I have a Suburban with Close to 300K on it. I had the seals replaced and Was told the inside of the engine and fuel injectors are like brand new. Pay now or Pay later.
Old 5/31/15, 02:28 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
The facts on my 14 when data logging the stock tune was any 87 octane fuel resulted in knock sensors pulling timing as low as 1500 rpm at WOT conditions. 93 octane not only eliminated the knock activity but showed two to three points of added timing around 3500 rpm through redline under WOT conditions. Adding 110 octane blend on top of 93 showed no additional advance vs just 93 alone.

I didn't try 91.
That reinforces why have have stuck with the best I can find around here. 91 non-ethanol, and 91 with 10% ethanol when I have to. Also since I have the Trackey tune, if I want to use that key, I kinda have to run with 91 or higher...
Old 5/31/15, 02:32 PM

One thing that I can tell you is that 87 fuel from Esso VS 87 fuel from Costco has a big difference.

I notice a much louder ping coming from the motor over with having filled up at Esso over the Costco grade fuel. 90% of the time, I fill up at Costco and I don't hear this ping.

If I'm sitting at a light idling and it catches my attention, its loud.

I still have my Esso gas card with about $350 left on it from when I bought this mustang. I'm still trying to use it slowly.

I typically save about $10 per fill up with this rewards card. I figure I have around 35 more uses left until I'm buying their gas
That kinda of surprises me that Costco would have better fuel, but that is what I am finding around here as well. I remember a few years back running Costco in my 99 JGC and the thing would ping like nothing else. Now I run Costco 91 in the stang from time to time and I notice no difference than running the higer priced Shell or Chevron. MPG is actually better with the Costco fillup.
Old 5/31/15, 02:48 PM

... But Costco is unbranded gasoline. Not only are they not "top tier", they're not even name brand. They get their gas from the lowest bidder so you don't know what you're getting. It could be Shell or BP one week and Joe's Petroleum the next. It's good that you're happy with what you buy but that's more luck than consistent product.

Not that I have anything more than a membership at Costco, but around here they do advertise that their fuel is top-tier. Couldn't tell you were it is from, but in Boise it all comes in in the same pipeline and then is mixed with the brand name additives. It sure seems like Costco has the better blend around here lately. I was a believer in Chevron and Shell and typically went out of my way to get their fuel. But I have noticed that they are significantly more expensive and I get about a 2 MPG drop when I run their fuel. That is in all my vehicles, not just the stang. Now both Shell and Chevon are operated by the same retailer around here. I think they have lost their edge, at least in my area. Costco seem to bring in better fuel at about a 40 cent per gallon difference in cost.

Most of the time I try to run the pure non-ethanol in mine. I do notice a little better MPG, but I know the motor will be much better for it in the long run. It is just 10-20 cents more than the big guys are charging for their inferior fuel.

Much rather run the non-e stuff when I can, but will stick with 91 or higher!
Old 5/31/15, 03:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
So the V6 cars don't make more power with higher octane? I figured they make a few HP more.
No sir. from what I've been reading, the V6 doesn't have the advanced timing like the GT's. It's recommended to run 87 and 87 only. No added benefits (performance wise) to running the better stuff. Not of course, unless you are running a tune.
I was JUST reading from another forum a thread you had commented on just like this one. According to other people, the V6 may have some added benefit. I don't feel the difference. I've run 91 before and to me, its not worth the extra $10 per fill up.

I haven't read any hard evidence where this is true. From what I had been told and from trying to gather info on this, the V6 didn't have the advanced timing like the GT's with running the better fuel option.

I'm not saying that I'm right. Just saying I don't really know lol.
Ah, that's right. Variable cam timing. I forgot the V6 motors don't have that. That makes more sense, no timing adjustment based on octane.

Good point, that would make a difference across the curve.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't know about the rest of you, but my V6 most certainly has variable valve timing. Hell, it's even on the engine cover...

There will certainly be a few extra horses with premium fuel, but don't expect anything like what the coyote gains from it. I would wager it's 5 or less hp on premium with the cyclone.

I believe the compression ratio of the 3.7 is 10.5:1, so it ain't exactly low, either.
The 3.7 does indeed have variable valve timing - one of the parameters that they tuner wanted to see on my data logs.

And the 3.7 has the same knock sensors as the V8, and the PCM will adjust to pick up some extra power - just as the GT does. The system is constantly monitoring and adjusting and will advance timing and take advantage of the increased octane. Is it enough that you will say "oh my god why did I pay for a tune?" -- no, it will be more but not enough that you really feel the difference as you will with a tune. Same as the GT - yes there is more flywheel power if you run 93 over 87, but it isn't enough that your "butt-dyno" will really know the difference without a tune to take advantage of other adjustments that can be set in the tune.
Old 5/31/15, 06:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm not sure why you think they aren't top tier...

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 5/31/15, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! I guess "top tier" isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've been in the fuel business for almost 20 years and Costco is considered the same level as "Bob's Gas And Bait" stores. So I guess top tier goes to the highest bidder. What a disappointment.
Old 5/31/15, 07:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Wow! I guess "top tier" isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've been in the fuel business for almost 20 years and Costco is considered the same level as "Bob's Gas And Bait" stores. So I guess top tier goes to the highest bidder. What a disappointment.
Or, you know...it's actually top tier...?

I'm sure things change over time. Just because it wasn't in the past doesn't mean it can't be now.

Regardless, I've also had good experiences with Costco gas. It's always ran good in all my vehicles, regardless of octane.
Old 6/1/15, 01:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"Top Tier" means that these fuels contain an "approved" additive package. They could be tossing in a little poo to keep the price down and still qualify!

I'm not sure but I feel that the brands giving me the best mileage would provide better overall performance.
Old 6/1/15, 05:29 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JimC
The 3.7 does indeed have variable valve timing - one of the parameters that they tuner wanted to see on my data logs.

And the 3.7 has the same knock sensors as the V8, and the PCM will adjust to pick up some extra power - just as the GT does. The system is constantly monitoring and adjusting and will advance timing and take advantage of the increased octane. Is it enough that you will say "oh my god why did I pay for a tune?" -- no, it will be more but not enough that you really feel the difference as you will with a tune. Same as the GT - yes there is more flywheel power if you run 93 over 87, but it isn't enough that your "butt-dyno" will really know the difference without a tune to take advantage of other adjustments that can be set in the tune.
^^^I was waiting for someone to post this ^^^ . American Muscle did a test between 87 octane vs 93 octane (v6) on a dyno. 93 octane added 7 wheel horsepower.
Old 6/1/15, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Lets be frank. EVERYONE any their mother would rave about their positive experiences for just about anything on this forum and that's exactly what I'm doing here. Other than having nothing more than a membership, I'm no different than anyone else.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
That kinda of surprises me that Costco would have better fuel, but that is what I am finding around here as well. I remember a few years back running Costco in my 99 JGC and the thing would ping like nothing else. Now I run Costco 91 in the stang from time to time and I notice no difference than running the higer priced Shell or Chevron. MPG is actually better with the Costco fillup.

My guess is that because their prices are so much cheaper, this particular Costco has 16 pumps running and those pumps are typically backed up with 4-5 cars per pump. my guess is that they refuel the stations much more frequently than the esso where I go.

The other location where I buy my gas from has the following pumps, literally back to back from one another.

Esso (most expensive gas at this location)
Pioneer (cheapest gas at this location)
Petro Canada (same as Esso)
Husky ( same as pioneer)

these pumps have typically 6-8 pumps and are never as busy as Costco. I bet its because Costco has fresher gas which is why in my own experience, is better.

Quick Reply: Octane experience