Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

O.E. Brembo wheels plus zero vs stock tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/14, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Good question... I wonder if the Goodyears are more compliant in the sidewall to reduce chassis flex or if their overall lower grip works better with the floppier body. IIRC, some BBP/Track Pack coupes also come with these. Was it related to the transmission choice (autos got Goodyears perhaps??)?
Yep that's it exactly...
Old 9/22/14, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by SMBJoshy
Yeah it looked horrible, the SR springs I installed recently remedied that issue, so it sits perfect now.

Now the other issue, trying to sell the base 17" wheels with the tires. Or I can keep them as the winter wheels if the Pirellis are as bad as some say they are in cold temps.
I bought a set of 17 Takeoffs from Roush for mine, 40 degrees and lower the Pirellis are like hockey pucks, and pretty much the same traction as one also
Old 9/22/14, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar - does any one know why convertibles have these on stock brembo cars.
These tires came stock on my car and they ride really bad, but they grip well.
Old 9/24/14, 08:51 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
275/40/R19 Continental ExtremeContact is the direction I plan to go on my Brembo wheels when its time for new rubber. I'm working as hard as I can to destroy the original Pirellis... they are completely worthless (literally by design) in the occasional cold/wet/icy weather we get here in Dallas.
I agree with the comment about the stock Pirelli's. They're "ok", I guess. But spun a lot, even when I was stock at 375whp. When at 520whp, I had the Pirelli's on for about a week, then decided it's a MUST change. Spinning tires everywhere is not a good thing. Enter the NT555 DR. Love em. NT555 Extremes up front.

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Your best value for a summer only tire right now is a Kumho Ecsta. My wife has the all season version on her 11 GT, and they are excellent. If you want to go all season, you have a lot of choices, Conti, Goodyear, or Michelin, etc.

20" tires are a huge expense, but if you have money to spend, they are an option...
I disagree with the Kumho Ecstas. I had them on all 4 corners on my 93 TT RX7. They were nothing like the Toyo's I had on them before. Spin City. They were much harder rubber. They wore well, but not tacky at all.
Old 9/24/14, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long ago did you have the Kumhos on your car? The ones I bought last year are fine, but are all seasons. Perhaps the summer only version is still 'greasy' ?
Old 9/25/14, 04:59 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
How long ago did you have the Kumhos on your car? The ones I bought last year are fine, but are all seasons. Perhaps the summer only version is still 'greasy' ?
Yes, they were summer performance only, and it was around 2006/7. I miss that car lol.

I bought the tires mainly due to cost. They wore really well, but traction in dry left more to be desired.
Old 9/26/14, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's safe to say that as tires are updated over the years, the formulations of the compound changes, hopefully for the better. The all seasons my wife has now hook up just fine, but I'm not doing 5k launches from a roll either...

I guess the OP can read current reviews for w/e tire he's looking for and find out what the current brand feels like. My decision was motivated by cost on my Boss, and have been very happy with the Hankook Ventus Evos so far. Great grip when dry, haven't had any wet weather yet to check traction. Very quiet too!
Old 9/26/14, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I guess the OP can read current reviews for w/e tire he's looking for and find out what the current brand feels like. My decision was motivated by cost on my Boss, and have been very happy with the Hankook Ventus Evos so far. Great grip when dry, haven't had any wet weather yet to check traction. Very quiet too!
I was debating between a few tires, including the V12 Evo as well. I ended up going with Bridgestone Potenza S04 in 274/40-19 all around. I'm happy with my choice as well. Much better traction than Pirellis. Glad to hear the Evos are living up to your expectations.