Sponsored By:

Numbers Matching Car; Have a Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/12, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers Matching Car; Have a Question

Hello Guys,

I've been sitting around endlessly thinking about my current transmission issue's with my Boss 302 and what effect it'll have on long term resale value. I know a lot of guys buy, build, & sell Mustang's fast now a day's to move onto the next best thing, or at least what's currently got their interest. That's how I was with all my previous vehicles, but when I sought out to purchase a 12' Boss. My plan was to buy it and keep it until I was unfit to drive and my grandchildren had to pry me out of the drivers seat lol.

Obviously worrying about it's resale value is silly if I don't have plans to sell, but the idea just had me curious. Currently the dealer I'm working with has plans to rebuild my transmission. Which I'm extremely happy about and have my fingers crossed hoping for the best. But what if they tear into her and decide its cheaper to throw a new MT-82 in? No problem for most guys, but to me that means my Boss will no longer be a numbers matching car am I correct?

I don't pay attention/know what old mustangs, particularly the Boss's, Mach's ect... Sell for in todays market, but I can only imagine if they aren't numbers matching cars then they bring in less money.

If Ford want's to put a new transmission in the car I'm certainly not going to argue with them about it. Just really thinking aloud right now and interested in knowing what you guys think? The resale value also has me thinking about all MT-82 equipped Mustangs. I'll just assume 10-20 years from now the whole "chinese built trans saga" won't be blown out of proportion like it is now, so not many people will know or care. Although it'll be on my mind if, like my dad, I decide to go back to the cars I grew up around looking for a cheap to build hotrod. For him it was the old 5.0's, for me it'll be the new 5.0's.

Thanks for reading guys!

Bill
Old 4/26/12, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is only numbers matching if the VIN or a partial VIN is stamped into the case of the tranny. A lot of old cars did not have this happen. The best then is IF the tranny case can be dated from any other numbers that may have been stamped in it.

If you are going to be pried from behind the seat.....what do you really care about being 100% original.....fix it, drive the heck out of it, let the grandkids worry about what it is worth......
Old 4/26/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangBillJr
Obviously worrying about it's resale value is silly if I don't have plans to sell, but the idea just had me curious.

Originally Posted by AzPete
It is only numbers matching if the VIN or a partial VIN is stamped into the case of the tranny. A lot of old cars did not have this happen. The best then is IF the tranny case can be dated from any other numbers that may have been stamped in it.

If you are going to be pried from behind the seat.....what do you really care about being 100% original.....fix it, drive the heck out of it, let the grandkids worry about what it is worth......
Just wondering. I don't know anything about old Mustangs/cars and how their authenticated. I always just hear the term "#'s matching" and just assumed it would include transmissions as it's a big part of the vehicle obviously. I plan on fixing it and driving it, just something I've been curious about is all.
Old 4/26/12, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If you're a collector I can see where it would matter, or if you're going to be showing the car for certain shows, but if it's just for driving/personal purposes, I wouldn't worry about it. That's just me. However, your grandkids might want you to make yourself a bit more famous before they try and sell it through Barrett.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 4/26/12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 4/26/12, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

I believe the whole "numbers matching" thing is more of a Chevy deal. They had VIN numbers or partial numbers on many parts, where other manufactures didn't.
Old 4/26/12, 08:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I believe the whole "numbers matching" thing is more of a Chevy deal. They had VIN numbers or partial numbers on many parts, where other manufactures didn't.
You know I didn't think about that, but you're right.
Old 4/26/12, 08:42 PM
GT Member

For the record, I'm not worried about resale or how much future family members can sell it for. It's just something I'm curious about since the Boss will obviously be one of the more sought after Mustangs 20+ years from now.(sorry Shelby guys, it's my opinion) Guy's at work who know my current situation with the car keep telling me i'm better off with a rebuild since it'll be "numbers matching". I just want her fixed but for the collectors or even guys who buy and just drive it a few times a year, will the MT-82 "saga" have a long term effect on how their valued 20-50 years from now. What's your opinion is basically what I was getting at? I know it's a relatively small amount of people being effected by the issue's, but there's already guys branding the 11's + 12's as the "stay away" years.

Guess it was the wrong topic for a discussion?

Bill
Old 4/26/12, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You know I didn't think about that, but you're right.
I disagree - numbers matching is a big deal for pretty much any classic car, but that's usually talking about the engine/frame/body. I don't know if most cars have VINs stamped on the tranny or not...good question.
Old 4/26/12, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

In the Mustang world of old, VIN numbers were only on the body (three on the front aprons, and a door tag which was for warranty issues only) until the specialty/rare vehicles appeared. Then the engines got the VIN on the rear of the block....nothing on the tranny.

You can code out an engine/tranny to the build month and year by the stampings and see how it fits into the build of the classic Mustang.

If the new Boss has the tranny stamped/marked with the VIN or any info matching the cars VIN, then it could be an issue some time down the road.

I am no pro at this but have restored and owned a few classic Mustangs.

Not a problem with the topic either......I wonder if the drive line components do have a VIN on them or not.
Old 4/26/12, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

What's up with VINs in the windows???? I had never seen this before until I looked at m buddy's old 4runner.
Old 4/26/12, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Been there for many years..I believe the '68 Mustang was the first of the Mustangs....easier for the law to see if it is not yours......lol
Old 4/26/12, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Been there for many years..I believe the '68 Mustang was the first of the Mustangs....easier for the law to see if it is not yours......lol
Ohhh cool...I hadn't ever noticed it before...funny thing was that all of his were different numbers since he had wrecked so much...hahha