Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/12, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Now what?

Basically done with the exterior stuff minus 2 other things but those arn't to pricey.

Have there been tests done to see what the max HP one can get out of a 5.0 engine without having to do forced induction?

can i hit 500+ WRHP without the help of a super charger?

what options are there for a auto 2011 GT as far as a supercharger goes. I see some list manual only and others dont say anything at all.

Guess I'm trying to get a feeel for what I should start pinching pennies for next.

edit already have a CAI with 93 race tune.
Old 8/30/12, 12:58 PM
Cobra R Member

after a quick google search looks like my best bet is to just save for a SC
Old 8/30/12, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When the HP gets to that level, will the rest of the drivetrain hold up? While I've read about the driveshaft not being able to handle extended speeds above 130 MPH (who the heck does this on public roads for extended periods anyhow), I'd wonder if the torque this engine would be producing would have ill effects on other stock drivetrain parts.
Old 8/30/12, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
after a quick google search looks like my best bet is to just save for a SC
IMO i would just save for a charger. Im gonna pay off a credit card that i have with enough room for the super charger and then put it on that because i can get 12 months no interest,and then just pay for the install and custom tune with cash . Hopefully my goals will be complete by next summer. Off road X, supercharger, and a few suspension mods being upper and lower LCA's. I go back and forth if I wanna drop it or not the roads that I drive on around here suck. Swapping the cloth out for leather is fairly inexpensive and that may get done next this year
Old 8/30/12, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
When the HP gets to that level, will the rest of the drivetrain hold up? While I've read about the driveshaft not being able to handle extended speeds above 130 MPH (who the heck does this on public roads for extended periods anyhow), I'd wonder if the torque this engine would be producing would have ill effects on other stock drivetrain parts.
I would assume that would have to be for an extended amount of time, I've seen 1000hp GT 500's with the stock two piece. If you were trying to break a top speed record then I would say that a one piece is mandatory ....if not you're just wasting your money ,I've been told by two seperate speed shops that a one piece is a waste of money
Old 8/30/12, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know that is mainly a problem with the V6. The GT should be fine.
Old 8/31/12, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Burke985
,I've been told by two seperate speed shops that a one piece is a waste of money
Perhaps, but Ford clearly felt otherwise when they built the '13 Shelby with a one-piece, CF driveshaft.
Old 8/31/12, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Perhaps, but Ford clearly felt otherwise when they built the '13 Shelby with a one-piece, CF driveshaft.
Mainly because they were trying to break 200 mph then I would say yes also. Unless you track your car per say and drive at high speeds constantly then its not a needed mod. Now if you want to have it just to have it and eliminate a few pounds then go for it , I may even do it just to do it myself but its not needed even if you add forced induction.
Old 8/31/12, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

looks like i should start saving for a SC.

my friend has a 01 cobra with a kenne bell on it. Even though his has 50 or so more HP than mine to the wheels, the SC just throws you back in the seat.

I could still take him because he has no idea how to shift properly yet with all that HP lol
Old 8/31/12, 08:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mainly because they were trying to break 200 mph then I would say yes also. Unless you track your car per say and drive at high speeds constantly then its not a needed mod. Now if you want to have it just to have it and eliminate a few pounds then go for it , I may even do it just to do it myself but its not needed even if you add forced induction.
Well fortuitous for me then, since I'm going to be trying to break 200mph.

Old 8/31/12, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Good luck and post a video
Old 8/31/12, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

It was nice meeting you, RIP.

Old 8/31/12, 05:11 PM

I think that you should be able to get close to or maybe even exceed the 500 hp without a super charger, but it will probably cost just as much if not more than just bolting on the SC. While I'm no expert on making power with the 5.0, I'd imagine that a good place to start would be Comp Cams and their selection of aftermarket cams. You might also want to look into a new intake, throttle body, and possibly a port job on the heads.

As other's have said though, I would start to worry about the other drivetrain parts once you start to get into those levels. This article is probably a good place to start.
Old 9/1/12, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
It was nice meeting you, RIP.

Good luck and post a video
Oh you guys are hilarious.
Old 9/1/12, 02:24 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 9/3/12, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have driven that fast for extended periods on public roads. Why the USA has beautiful roads through the middle of nowhere with a speed limit . Although I try not to do it very often because it burns gobs of fuel at those speeds and at $7.35 give or take a gallon it gets a bit expensive.
Old 9/3/12, 04:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I have driven that fast for extended periods on public roads. Why the USA has beautiful roads through the middle of nowhere with a speed limit . Although I try not to do it very often because it burns gobs of fuel at those speeds and at $7.35 give or take a gallon it gets a bit expensive.

7.35$ a gallon? ouch!!!
Old 9/3/12, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Poppa

$7:35?? Holy crap!
Old 9/3/12, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Where are you that it's that expensive
Old 9/3/12, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's gotta be a typo. Surely you were typing that on the number keypad and you meant to hit the 4, instead of the 7, right? As in, $4.35 and not $7.35. Frankly, if you're paying $7.35/gallon, move.