Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Not My Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/14, 05:50 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Not My Daily Driver

I've had my car now for a month. My plan with this car was to always have a second car for work and daily driving (I work at a school and my 2000 GT took a beating even though I have a great spot) and that's what I have done. I drive my Taurus to work and many days I don't drive my new car. Is there something I should be doing other than weekend driving with the new car? I mean other than driving it more?
Old 6/19/14, 05:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine as a summer daily. Definitely makes going to work in the morning a hell of a lot easier. Makes the drive special. De-stresses me when I get in to go home. I'm sure there will be days when a thunderstorm crops up out of nowhere and i'll wish I'd left her in the garage, but that's more because she's black and getting her cleaned up again is a big job.
Old 6/19/14, 06:12 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I hear ya about the daily drive and de-stressing but where I work is about a 1/4 mile away. If the roads where not so terrible I'd be track app-ing all the way to work.
Old 6/19/14, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like that song"...take the long way home..."
Old 6/19/14, 07:06 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Mine is a '14 GT 'vert in black. People ask me if it's my daily driver, and my response is that as long as it's sunny and warm every day, it will be. But that's not going to happen in NJ.

I've never owned a car like this before, nor am I ever likely to again at my age. I've become obsessive....it remains in a constant state of ultra-detailed. In fact, my garage had never seen a car in it for 18 years. In preparation for the Mustang I spent over 7 hours a day for over a week reconfiguring, tossing junk, and cleaning so I'd have a place to put it.

In the month that I've owned it, I've only driven twice with the top up. The top stays down while in the garage with a cover on it.

It's cleaned to some degree almost every day, but being retired affords me the luxury of time....time and patience are a requirement with a black car. And I love doing it.

I'm fortunate to have a '12 Fusion V6 for no-so-nice days. But the lease is out next April and I'll deal with getting another car then.

In the meantime, the Mustang won't see rain or snow.

I've become one of the car owners I used to make fun of!!!!

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 6/19/14 at 07:07 AM.
Old 6/19/14, 07:10 AM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL! Well I hear you about becoming one of those guys. I don't have a garage but I do have it covered now and I will cover it when not using it. It's not so much rain or it getting dirty as it is finding a ding or some moron hitting my parked car here at school.
Old 6/19/14, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Mine will be my daily for a while. It wasn't intended to be, but my fiancée is taking over my 05 Escape as the mommy car. I'm looking at a Ranger, old BA Miata, older Focus or something of the like to become my daily beater in a few months. I have a 40ish mile commute, round trip, and I've realized I do not want to be driving my $45k brand new Mustang on the road with the idiots that are driving around me during those hours, nor do I want them to park next to me in the garage.
Old 6/19/14, 07:35 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I got kind of lucky with my second car. 2002 Taurus with 28k miles on it. The problem is my friend who I bought the car off of is an idiot with cars (and a lot of other things) and he didn't take car of it. Still looks great but the car would look showroom if he tried just a bit. I need to do the wires and plugs on the car. He never changed them in 12 years.

One thing about a beater is that I can now park anywhere in a lot and not care. That feels pretty good.

Last edited by VidPro; 6/19/14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 6/19/14, 07:41 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I do not want to be driving my $45k brand new Mustang on the road with the idiots that are driving around me during those hours, nor do I want them to park next to me in the garage.
When I have to park somewhere with the Mustang, I seek out Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, BMWs, and other nice, clean cars to park next to. I've even taken to parking farther away in a lot, something I said I'd never do!!!

I hope my car is still as perfect as possible when I'm eligible (and alive) for QQ (historic) plates.

Tom
Old 6/19/14, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
When I have to park somewhere with the Mustang, I seek out Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, BMWs, and other nice, clean cars to park next to. I've even taken to parking farther away in a lot, something I said I'd never do!!! I hope my car is still as perfect as possible when I'm eligible (and alive) for QQ (historic) plates. Tom
Lol I work in Pleasanton, CA. No one drives muscle cars, and every single BMW/Mercedes/Corolla/Prius in the parking garage has an inch of dirt, bird sh*t and brown wheels covered in brake dust. Since I work the earlier 7:30 shift I can usually get this one spot that is all by itself...see attached...it's the driving to and from with all the idiots that I have to park next to that worries me.

The other day I watched this guy get into his gold corolla, fling his door open right into the 300C that was next to him - I yelled "are you f*cking kidding me??" He didn't even notice he did anything.
Attached Thumbnails Not My Daily Driver-image-1024131530.jpg  
Old 6/19/14, 08:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daily driver is my Motorcycle, the GT is for weekend fun!
Old 6/21/14, 12:13 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Took the cover off this morning, put the top down, and took a nice morning ride. One nice thing about weekend warriors is that every time I get in the car it's special.

This happened all the time with my 2000. As I'm waiting at a red light a dude and his girl pull up in a shall we say less than new car and gave me the rev signal. I looked and laughed. I mean I like all kinds of cars but really?
Old 6/21/14, 12:18 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Took the cover off this morning, put the top down, and took a nice morning ride. One nice thing about weekend warriors is that every time I get in the car it's special.
^^BINGO!!!
I only drive mine on the weekends or later in the evening after work sometimes.
Old 6/21/14, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
There are only 7 other drivers at where I work, but I still made my own parking spot

This in when I still had my 2010 Grabber Blue
I bought my car to drive, in a couple of years I will get a Daily Driver and park the Mustang but for right now it gets 90 miles a day put on it and I enjoy every mile.
Old 6/21/14, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Mine is a '14 GT 'vert in black. People ask me if it's my daily driver, and my response is that as long as it's sunny and warm every day, it will be. But that's not going to happen in NJ.

I've never owned a car like this before, nor am I ever likely to again at my age. I've become obsessive....it remains in a constant state of ultra-detailed. In fact, my garage had never seen a car in it for 18 years. In preparation for the Mustang I spent over 7 hours a day for over a week reconfiguring, tossing junk, and cleaning so I'd have a place to put it.

In the month that I've owned it, I've only driven twice with the top up. The top stays down while in the garage with a cover on it.

It's cleaned to some degree almost every day, but being retired affords me the luxury of time....time and patience are a requirement with a black car. And I love doing it.

I'm fortunate to have a '12 Fusion V6 for no-so-nice days. But the lease is out next April and I'll deal with getting another car then.

In the meantime, the Mustang won't see rain or snow.

I've become one of the car owners I used to make fun of!!!!

Tom
I also live in NJ. At first, I was driving my 2004 Mazda3 to work, GT on weekends. I started to miss the thrill of the Mustang. So, I sold my Mazda and now I exclusively drive the GT. Rain, Snow, whatever.. I worked real hard to buy this car and damnit, I'm gonna drive it! I could be dead tomorrow.
Old 6/21/14, 04:18 PM
Legacy Tms Member

How do you guys drive in snow? With my 2000 if I saw one flake my heart would skip beat.
Old 6/21/14, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you guys drive in snow? With my 2000 if I saw one flake my heart would skip beat.
It's not really that bad if you go slow with TC. The stock all-seasons help. Will be a different story once I upgrade my wheels. My first car was a 1984 z-28. Talk about drifting & spinning out. I drove it all year. Driving the GT is a cakewalk compared to that!
Old 6/21/14, 06:12 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
This is how I drive in the winter.
My heart would skip a beat as well.
Attached Thumbnails Not My Daily Driver-img_0295.jpg  
Old 6/21/14, 06:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
mine is a sunny day daily driver, or road trip car or taking the gf for a spin. if the weather sucks it's my f150. if it's a quick trip to town and back in good weather then it's the ducati.
Old 6/21/14, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in the Phoenix area so the weather is great year around. Yet my car still stays in the garage. I don't know what's wrong with me lol. Over two years of ownership and she only has 2700 miles. My daily is a Tundra. You can kinda see the stang in her usual spot in the garage lol.
Attached Thumbnails Not My Daily Driver-image-3767915195.jpg  

Quick Reply: Not My Daily Driver