Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Not entirely Mustang related, but I just feel the need to vent

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/12, 06:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of something:

Many years ago at a body shop (attached to a Mazda dealer) I saw pics of a "brand new" turbo RX-7 lying in parts all over the road. At the accident scene, demolished, the car was unidentifiable unless maybe you owned one so could see a few details (like those smashed Enzo pics). Also on the bulletin board were the insurance estimates. It cost (in Canada) about $35k for a new one, and it cost ~$34k to fix it (nay, rebuild from scratch). The insurance company fixed it!! The owner had no choice, because what they'd pay in cash to him was far far less than they'd "pay" to fix it (IDK why - kickbacks? lol). The dealer couldn't believe it either.
Old 9/19/12, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I guess this will be the final update for this thread. After officially declaring the vehicle a total loss, Allstate came back to me with an offer for my car which was more than I expected. Having done my research last night, I had a good idea of what was too low and what was fair, and Allstate's offer exceeded what I expected. It was likely a decent bit more than what I would have gotten if I had traded the car in, and it will certainly help with a down payment for a new vehicle. Overall dealing with Allstate has been a pretty easy affair. I will be receiving compensation for lost wages as well as pain and suffering, even though I did not intentionally seek it. They've been pretty timely in dealing with everything and pretty generous as well.

My only complaint so far is that Allstate will stop providing me with a rental in exactly 2 weeks time, which doesn't exactly leave me with a great deal of time to find a new vehicle. That would be especially true if I hadn't been looking into and planning a new vehicle purchase, as I would be starting from scratch with lots of research to do. Being a car guy, I'm not going to be satisfied just going out and buying any old Camry off a used car lot. Buying a new car isn't exactly the quickest of decisions, and I am definitely not going to let myself get stuck into a car that I can't stand for the next 5 years.

If I can get my dad to agree to co-sign for me, I will be visiting the local dealers in the area trying to get a feel for the pricing. My first choice is the Mustang GT Premium that I have been planning for a month now, but I am open to other options should I for some reason not like driving it. A Challenger is the current runner up, but it too would likely be a car that would have to be ordered and would leave me waiting for some time. Thankfully there's an extra vehicle or two floating around in the extended family, so I wouldn't be left without a ride while waiting.

I'd like to take a second to thank those who have contributed to this thread. Just having someone to vent to and get advice from has been a real stress reliever during these last few days.
Old 9/19/12, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats!

Can I interest you in s slightly used 2007 Mercedes CLK 550? No? Go grab that new Mustang!
Old 9/20/12, 05:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great to hear that your healing, and that you are happy with the results of the insurance. Sometimes we hear good stories from a bad intitial one.