Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Noob Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/10, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noob Clutch Questions

I'm still new to driving a manual (coming from an automatic). I am really smooth at shifting on everything once I'm in 1st. But starting from 1st I'm having trouble with not stalling.

Can anyone tell me how fast I should release the clutch and how much gas I should give? I know it comes with practice (and I won't have my 5.0 for a few more weeks to do that). But I'd like to get an idea before I get my sweet sweet ride.

Thanks in advance!
Old 8/7/10, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to feather the throttle when I feel the clutch beginning to engage. That's about the best I can describe how to get used to it.
Old 8/7/10, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Its all in how hard you hit the gas. I try to keep the engine around 2k+ pulling from a stop. I use the clutch to control the RPM's. More gas means I can let the clutch out faster. There is no real way to quantify how fast you should release the clutch, how long you should feather it, or anything else. You just have to learn the car. The dual mass flywheel really makes it easy.
Old 8/7/10, 09:16 PM
GTR Member

Right foot to the floor, left foot side-step clutch and HANG ON!!!

Old 8/7/10, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
It's all about knowing how to use the friction zone, and, on a dry clutch, getting out of that zone smoothly and quickly so as to not burn up the clutch.

Find the friction zone, and you'll find the zen of launching.

While it's not the same as a car, due to the wet clutch and the ability for the thing to be slipped virtually forever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05hiqpABj0
The idea is the same: There's a point where the clutch 'catches' and moves the vehicle. That is the zone you need to be familiar with to not buck the car.

It's not the best idea to slip a dry clutch for a long period of time, as you'll burn it up, but all clutches slip when moving the car from a stop. And feathering it for reverse. And powershifting.

Last edited by houtex; 8/7/10 at 09:23 PM.
Old 8/7/10, 09:23 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
When I was younger and learning to drive manual one of the best ways I found personally for me to practice was to learn how to engage the clutch without using the accelerator pedal. Get a feel for the clutch itself. Also I would try to start from 2nd gear, 3rd gear etc. It really does just take practice. Another key thing to do is to practice on a hill from a stop, you'll need to get comfortable doing that so you feel confident when driving your new Stang. Clutch confidence is KEY!
Old 8/9/10, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
When I was younger and learning to drive manual one of the best ways I found personally for me to practice was to learn how to engage the clutch without using the accelerator pedal. Get a feel for the clutch itself. Also I would try to start from 2nd gear, 3rd gear etc. It really does just take practice. Another key thing to do is to practice on a hill from a stop, you'll need to get comfortable doing that so you feel confident when driving your new Stang. Clutch confidence is KEY!
You dont need any gas to get these cars going. Learn how to start without thinking about the gas and then introduce a little gas pressure at a time until you get used to it. In no time you will have it down pat.
Old 8/9/10, 08:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Don't think starting from 2nd or 3rd gear is a good idea. I may be wrong, but will you not be slipping the clutch to do this, especially from 3rd? The first part of the post though is right on.

At a Vette school in Nevada years ago, they had a rash of clutch problems with non-manual experienced students; until they began using this exercise. Find a level parking lot. Foot off the throttle, clutch in, and 1rst gear. Slowly let out clutch, remember no gas. At about 1 inch or so from the floor, the car will start to move. Get used to this distance. This is where you should let the cutch out before adding throttle for every gear change and it varies with each car. This avoids slippage from adding gas too soon or too much. Continue to let the clutch out and you will find that the car will drive all over the lot like this without any throttle input. I think most manual drivers have found this distance over time and do it naturally without thinking.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Last edited by nemosgt; 8/9/10 at 08:58 AM. Reason: more clarity
Old 8/9/10, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

I'm right with you man. I learned to drive on a manual but when i got my first car it was an automatic. Now i get thrown into a manual after never driving one full time or even driving one part time for 4 years!

I'm getting pretty good at it now. I highly suggest the hill practice. I go out maybe once a week (late at night) and find some gigantic hills and practice releasing the clutch and getting on the gas at the right time so i dont roll back at all. I would watch how long you do this though or you might start to smell something

Same thing should be done with regular driving. Go find an empty parking lot at night or in the morning and keep practicing the clutch and getting to know where it connects.

My biggest problem that i faced was not being confident when i was driving at the beginning so when i would go out i would get really nervous and that would cause me to screw up. So if you do mess up and get frustrated, take a deep breath and just chill. Being tense isn't going to help you learn if you have trouble.

Most important thing i found though is to just take your time and before you know it you'll be an expert.
Old 8/9/10, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

yup, my first mustang was an automatic then i got my manual GT. I took it around the block a few times to get the feel of the clutch without the pressure of other drivers behind me. I think in the first week i stalled about 5 times but after that i had a good feel for the car. Its normal to stall a few times while your learning so dont let that make you think your just bad at it. I agree with the other guys, if your good you can get it rolling with no gas input. just gotta find the right spot in the clutch pedal range.
Old 8/9/10, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
yup, my first mustang was an automatic then i got my manual GT. I took it around the block a few times to get the feel of the clutch without the pressure of other drivers behind me. I think in the first week i stalled about 5 times but after that i had a good feel for the car. It's normal to stall a few times while your learning so dont let that make you think your just bad at it. I agree with the other guys, if your good you can get it rolling with no gas input. just gotta find the right spot in the clutch pedal range.
Don't worry about stalling. Some of us still do. No stigma.

Cheers.
Old 8/9/10, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Don't worry about stalling. Some of us still do. No stigma.

Cheers.
i dont stall anymore lol
Old 8/9/10, 09:48 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by nemosgt
Don't think starting from 2nd or 3rd gear is a good idea. I may be wrong, but will you not be slipping the clutch to do this, especially from 3rd? The first part of the post though is right on.

At a Vette school in Nevada years ago, they had a rash of clutch problems with non-manual experienced students; until they began using this exercise. Find a level parking lot. Foot off the throttle, clutch in, and 1rst gear. Slowly let out clutch, remember no gas. At about 1 inch or so from the floor, the car will start to move. Get used to this distance. This is where you should let the cutch out before adding throttle for every gear change and it varies with each car. This avoids slippage from adding gas too soon or too much. Continue to let the clutch out and you will find that the car will drive all over the lot like this without any throttle input. I think most manual drivers have found this distance over time and do it naturally without thinking.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
You are correct. I wasn't thinking and didn't mean to make it sound like that's something to do for fun. I've done it when I was learning on a the first vehicles I got that were used and manuals. It was a novelty or parlor trick that helped me get a feel for the clutch and was not something that should be done other than that. But because of it I feel I am a better operator of manual vehicles. I also have never had to replace a clutch on a vehicle I have done this too for any number of miles, but I also wasn't constantly dumping the clutch on these vehicles either.

What's freaky is the clutch in the 200 Cobra I have releases a heck of a lot higher than the 2007 GT I have or any other vehicle I've had for that matter. They've all been different. And its always takes a few tries to find that spot where it engages whether its close to the floor or up high.

But even then I haven't stalled a manual in at least 18 years or so and even then it was probably just because I was being stupid.
Old 8/9/10, 09:54 AM
GTR Member

It's nearly impossible for anyone to explain how to drive a manual trans car in enough detail for you to go out and put it into action.

The best thing for you to do is get someone who you respect that is very good at driving a manual tranny to take you out and teach you in person.

Driving a manual trans car is a balancing act and takes lots of practice but after a while becomes second nature. The actions required will become something you don't think about, you just do them.
Old 8/9/10, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The problem new manual drivers often have is the moment they feel the clutch begin to engage, they let go of it. That abrupt release is what initiates bucking, stalling and all the wrong things to do with a manual. Feather your throttle while SLOWLY and linearly releasing the clutch. I've taught people to master this technique by holding onto their leg while they are driving the car. Luckily I've only had to teach females with this technique.
Old 8/9/10, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

^ lol niiiice
Old 8/9/10, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Right foot to the floor, left foot side-step clutch and HANG ON!!!

This is the only way
Old 8/9/10, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll get out there and practice as soon as I get my 5.0 (which could be any day now). I know I'll get the hang of it. I test drove a 2010 3-4 times last year. Got better each time. I have no problem once I'm in 1st gear going to second. But starting from a stop in 1st, not sure why I have a problem there sometimes. Just need practice I guess.

Thanks fellas!
Old 8/10/10, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll get out there and practice as soon as I get my 5.0 (which could be any day now). I know I'll get the hang of it. I test drove a 2010 3-4 times last year. Got better each time. I have no problem once I'm in 1st gear going to second. But starting from a stop in 1st, not sure why I have a problem there sometimes. Just need practice I guess.

Thanks fellas!
Just sit in a parking lot. Foot off of the gas, put the car in first and slowly lift the clutch until it starts to move slightly forward. Than push the clutch back down to the floor. That is the catch point. Repeat this process about 100 times and you should be good to go. Just need to put that muscle memory into the left leg
Old 8/10/10, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Once you think you are good at it, like a few others, I would also recommend practicing hill starts if you can find a suitable testing spot. Otherwise, first time you get stuck pointing up hill at a stop light with someone right on your bumper, you'll be freaking out and you will kill it about 45 times in a row, probably missing at least one green light entirely. When you finally do go, it will be an ungraceful peel out. Never fails with newer manual drivers.

Last edited by Skotty; 8/10/10 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Noob Clutch Questions