Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New vid of my 2014 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/14, 09:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New vid of my 2014 GT

Have a great new video camera, and it's in my new phone!

I have had my Samsung Galaxy MEGA 6.3 phone for a couple of months now and took some vids at Christmas of my great nephew opening his gifts and they looked really good so I set about trying to find or build a mount to mount it in my car. Started out with some 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum and started designing, but at the same time I kept looking around for something ready made. And I think I have found the best mount out there, it's made by iStabilizer.com and it seems to work really well.

iStabilizer makes the windshield mount and to that attaches the actual phone mount. They make two different sizes of phone mounts, one for phones up to 2.75" wide and another, the XL, for phones up to 3.5" wide. My MEGA 6.3 is about the biggest phone out there and it barely fits the XL mount, and with the rubber protective cover it's a real squeeze to get the phone in the mount but it does go in and work. The phone mount also doubles as a tripod mount bracket, it has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the bottom to mount to most tripods.

Anyway, here's the video and it has pics at the beginning and end of the phone mount on the windshield of the car. I had it mounted on the drivers side of the rear view mirror and as big as the phone is it blocks my sight line for right turns there so will mount it on the other side of the mirror next time.

The video quality from the MEGA is really good and the sound is better than any of my other cameras, and when I get a good external microphone it should be tons better, plus I will be able to mount the mic back by the exhaust to get some really good sounds. Watch at 2:34 to 2:45, running up through the gears, sounds really good.

Check it out:

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 1/27/14 at 07:20 AM.
Old 1/26/14, 09:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
where's your donuts and smoke show? Lotsa room in that mall parking lot
Good quality pic and sound with the galaxy though. i am impressed.
Stock exhaust?
Old 1/26/14, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Samsung Galaxy Mega, because the Giant sized Note series wasn't big enough"

Just curious why you got the Galaxy Mega 6.3? Bigger screen than everything else, but low resolution and slow processor. No stylus either.

Video looks good, btw. I'm just still questioning how/why anyone would buy a phone that massive. I had a Note II and loved it minus the 720p resolution. Had it for almost a year and switched to the smaller 5" Nexus 5.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 1/26/14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 1/26/14, 10:08 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
"Samsung Galaxy Mega, because the Giant sized Note series wasn't big enough"

Just curious why you got the Galaxy Mega 6.3? Bigger screen than everything else, but low resolution and slow processor. No stylus either.

Video looks good, btw. I'm just still questioning how/why anyone would buy a phone that massive. I had a Note II and loved it minus the 720p resolution. Had it for almost a year and switched to the smaller 5" Nexus 5.
Well, I can actually type on the keyboard of the MEGA with my big fingers! And have you actually tried the MEGA? The screen resolution may be low on the specs listing but looks fantastic in actual use. And as far as a slow processor, doesn't affect me in the slightest, don't play any online video games with it. Videos and streaming play great on it as well as any other thing I have used it for. Works great for me and it only cost me $20 on black Friday. I also use it for my GPS Nav, and the bigger screen makes it so I can actually see the maps clearly.

I researched it THOROUGHLY before buying, read all the reviews, pro and con, the pros far outweighing the con, and that turned out to be right. I have been very satisfied with it.

And now I'm even more impressed with it due to the video camera performance!
Old 1/26/14, 10:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
where's your donuts and smoke show? Lotsa room in that mall parking lot
Good quality pic and sound with the galaxy though. i am impressed.
Stock exhaust?
No donuts in home depot lot, or anywhere else for that matter...

Car has flowmaster "Outlaws" on it, no stock exhaust sounds that good!
Old 1/27/14, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Well, I can actually type on the keyboard of the MEGA with my big fingers! And have you actually tried the MEGA? The screen resolution may be low on the specs listing but looks fantastic in actual use. And as far as a slow processor, doesn't affect me in the slightest, don't play any online video games with it. Videos and streaming play great on it as well as any other thing I have used it for. Works great for me and it only cost me $20 on black Friday. I also use it for my GPS Nav, and the bigger screen makes it so I can actually see the maps clearly.

I researched it THOROUGHLY before buying, read all the reviews, pro and con, the pros far outweighing the con, and that turned out to be right. I have been very satisfied with it.

And now I'm even more impressed with it due to the video camera performance!
I'm glad you found the perfect phone for you, totally awesome. Just can't imagine a phone bigger than my old note 2
Old 1/27/14, 12:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No donuts in home depot lot, or anywhere else for that matter...

Car has flowmaster "Outlaws" on it, no stock exhaust sounds that good!

I would never endorse or encourage donuts or smokeshows in reality
Old 1/27/14, 01:31 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I'm glad you found the perfect phone for you, totally awesome. Just can't imagine a phone bigger than my old note 2
Would be alright with me if the screen was even BIGGER!

Only two challenges of it are trying to one hand it, the other is carrying it in my pocket.

But it mostly stays in my truck in a cubby on the console, so no real issue.
Old 1/28/14, 10:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Man that things sounds good. If I would have known you were going by the Home Depot I would have gave you my little shopping list.