2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New Supspension

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/13, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kbmag1
GT500 top mount or CC Plate? How did it take you on the install? Looking at doing some yellow's with BMR springs and Adj PH.
IMO I would re-evaluate the BMR springs. I know a lot of people love BMR and they make great stuff. Just not their springs. First off, they drop it more than advertised. From there the spring rates are softer than stock (why people drop with them and say the ride is still very comfortable), and keep the rear stiffer like factory settings as opposed to flipping them like Steeda does. I don't think they are well made either since they use a sub par manufacture to make them.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/16/13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 6/13/13, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The Koni vs Tokico. Since the d-spec is adjustable, you can dial in the level of stiffness in the shock. At the softest setting, it will be similar to the factory shock.

The non-adjustable pro-action shocks and struts, the have a firmer valving than stock, but it is not harsh by any means. We tested these over and over to find the best setting.

Let me know if I can help provide any more details or questions. You can reach me at tim @ steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/16/13, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

So I am curious. Are there measurable specs to compare. For instance, spring rates tell a lot when looking at firmness. Are there specs I can compare between the pro-action (custom valved tokico's) and the str.t's?

In and ideal world I would prefer the pro actions. They are blue and match the sport springs. I have read from users that they are far LESS harsh than the FRPP non-adjustables (also tokico). But I found one post with two mustangs, same set up except one had pro action and one had str.t. The poster liked the pro actions better actually. However he said the str.t's were a bit softer.

Handling wise I'd be happy with either. I just want whichever is most comfortable over DD bumps and whatnot. Hence my conundrum.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/16/13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 6/16/13, 04:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The Koni vs Tokico. Since the d-spec is adjustable, you can dial in the level of stiffness in the shock. At the softest setting, it will be similar to the factory shock.

The non-adjustable pro-action shocks and struts, the have a firmer valving than stock, but it is not harsh by any means. We tested these over and over to find the best setting.

Let me know if I can help provide any more details or questions. You can reach me at tim @ steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
The Koni yellow's seem to be an excellent setup with lower/stiffer springs. I will most likely go with that setup when I do my suspension. Adjustable is the best way to go by far
Old 6/22/13, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me throw in my two cents. I bought the Steeda Pro-Action Struts and Shocks and the Steeda Sport Springs. I don't take my car to the track, I just wanted a setup that would give me appreciably sharper handling without ruining the ride. I used to have a 2000 Corvette (not a Z06) and even with it's stock suspension the ride was just terrible on bad roads, so I didn't want to go that stiff.

I'm pretty pleased with the results from the Steeda parts. There's much less body roll and brake dive, the car just feels more secure at higher speeds. As for the ride, that depends on the street. The ride quality may be partially speed dependent. When I'm on a highway going 55 mph or more, the ride quality never crosses my mind so I'd say it feels just like stock there. On city streets, I can tell the difference depending on the street. On some cracked streets it feels about like the stock suspension. On others, it does thump a lot more going over cracks. It was definitely a worthwhile trade-off.
Old 6/30/13, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Let me throw in my two cents. I bought the Steeda Pro-Action Struts and Shocks and the Steeda Sport Springs. I don't take my car to the track, I just wanted a setup that would give me appreciably sharper handling without ruining the ride. I used to have a 2000 Corvette (not a Z06) and even with it's stock suspension the ride was just terrible on bad roads, so I didn't want to go that stiff.

I'm pretty pleased with the results from the Steeda parts. There's much less body roll and brake dive, the car just feels more secure at higher speeds. As for the ride, that depends on the street. The ride quality may be partially speed dependent. When I'm on a highway going 55 mph or more, the ride quality never crosses my mind so I'd say it feels just like stock there. On city streets, I can tell the difference depending on the street. On some cracked streets it feels about like the stock suspension. On others, it does thump a lot more going over cracks. It was definitely a worthwhile trade-off.
Exactly the kinda info I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the Pro-Action kit due to brand and color. However from what I've read, the koni str.t's have the same improvement in handling without the added thumps on street driving.

TJ if you see this, I haven't emailed Matt yet. I'm not in a rush to purchase.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/30/13 at 08:20 AM.