2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New GT Owner: Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/14, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New GT Owner: Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang

I bought a 2014 Mustang GT Premium with Tech Package and Comfort Package in Black. I've owned the car for 2 weeks now and decided to post a review of my experiences with the car so far.

I traded in a 2012 VW GTI. Prior to the GTI I had a BMW 330xi, and before that a VW Passat. So I'm comparing the Mustang to German sedans\hot hatches.

I debated long and hard before buying a 2014 vs. 2015. I've always wanted a Mustang and have really liked the current body style. When pics of the 2015 wre released, I didn't like it as much as the current model. Just to be sure, I went and looked at both models at the Minneapolis car show. That clinched it for me: I prefer the current style over the new style. There is nothing wrong with the new style, it'll sell well, has some improvements over the current model, but I simply like the looks of the currrent model.

I have no regrets so far and am really liking my new car.

Here's what I like: The looks are just great! For me, a perfect blend of size, chunkiness, aggressive stance, and classic Mustang cues. I just really like looking at the thing. The power and torque are great too. I had the GTI's computer flashed with a program from APR to get more power and boost. While that was fun, 420 HP\390 torque are really addictive. And everything I read about the sound of the engine is true. It sounds great. Even my non-automotive-caring wife noticed and liked the sound.

I like how the nose tilts up under acceleration, I like how the odometer changes numbers like the old style mechanical odometers (numbers roll over), I like the sound of the turn signal, I like that the Mustang is so iconic that it's the only Ford vehicle without the Blue Oval badge anywhere on the car. I like the blind spot mirrors, trunk light, and I think the pony lamps are really cool. I really like the long hood. The GTI had a short hood, and turning the Mustang feels like turning a speed boat with a looongg nose.

In comparison to my previous cars, I'm surprised that the Mustang is quieter inside than the GTI. The suspension is also less brittle, crashing, and harsh vs. the GTI (the tires may have something to do with this...runflats and their skinny sidewall make for harsh rides). I'm still learning about the car, so I haven't really tested its handling yet, but everything I've read indicates it'll handle better than the GTI, Passat, and maybe even the '06 BMW. Turn is seems quick and sharp. The steering feels as precise as the Germans. I also think I'm getting more steering feedback in the Mustang vs. the GTI (front drive vs. rear drive).

It's been a bit harder to find a comfortable seating position in the Mustang. I really could use a telescoping wheel. The seats are comfy, but I would like a bit more side bolstering. I did not get the Recaro seats as I needed the seat heaters. The seat heaters could also be hotter\have additional settings.

The Mustang has more personality than the German cars. I don't know how to describe that in any other way. It's seems a bit less sophisticated (in a good way) and distant than the Germans, less clinical and cold, it simply seems more alive and interactive with me.

I really like the Nav, Sync, and the bright\clear screen. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to use Sync. I also like the My Colour options. Green instruments with purple halos is what I'm running now.

The interior does look somewhat dated. I knew this going in and don't mind it much. Compared to the German cars, there is a fair amount of hard plastic. But, again, I knew that from the start and am not bothered by it. I actually think the graining of the hard plastic is quite good, better than most...it doesn't look cheap.

Things about the Mustang that I'd like to change and that I already knew about prior to buying the car: Gas mileage sucks compared to my 4 pot GTI. I'll happily live with it. The cupholders are poorly positioned. There is very little storage...guess I'll just have to be neater with my junk. The sound system isn't as good as the Dynaudio system in the GTI. The sound is muddy and not as clear as I'd like. But, that's fixable. Lastly, the louvers on the side windows create some wind noise. I didn't really want the louvers so I may just take them off myself.

One thing I didn't anticipate with the Mustang and didn't pay attention to on the test drives: When stepping on the clutch pedal, the toe of my shoe keeps hitting the pedal rod. No, I don't have abnormally long feet! This does not cause any problems with shifting or create any discomfort. I've just never had this on any of my manual tranny cars in the past

I've had no trouble with the shifter. It's notchier and has a much smaller gate than the GTI. I haven't done any speed shifting yet, but haven't had any 2-3 problems yet.

One annoying thing is that the seat back wont automatically go back to its original position after you move it forward to get things out of the back seat. No big deal, but annoying. I also wish that the seat back had finer settings on its reclining function. VW's have wheels that you turn to adjust the reclining angle of the seat back. The wheel has finer settings vs. the lever the Mustang has.

Lastly, I've already gotten several positive comment about the Mustang from strangers at stores and gas stations. That never happened with any of the German cars.

Overall, I'm liking the Black Beast alot. I usually mod my vehicles, but haven't given that much thought yet. I did put in Weather Tech floor mats and bought strut rods for the hood. Any mod suggestions?! Thanks for reading.
Old 5/19/14, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad you are enjoying it. now lets get some mods installed!
Old 5/19/14, 03:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
photos?
Old 5/19/14, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Must have mods:

Tint
Exhaust (may as well do cat back)
MGW shifter
Springs/shock/struts/CC plates/adjustable PHB

That's a bare minimum! I'd also throw some 1" spacers on front and rear until you get new wheels. Cheap but drastic mod for looks.
Old 5/19/14, 04:52 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3M clear mask in all the vulnerable places.
Old 5/19/14, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Thx for the review - glad you like it so far. I agree on the base seats, not a fan at all, which is why I went with the Recaros. They are fantastic.

Grab some GT500 axle-backs and the car will sounds much better. That's really all you need for exhaust if you just want a bit more sound.

Suspension does change the car quite a lot - highly recommend if you like the feel of a good German chassis (I came from an Audi S4 and lived in Europe for 2 years and had various German cars... Mustang was quite floaty in comparison, although it can certainly corner hard stock)

Do you plan on tracking the car or just street driving?
Old 5/19/14, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jhawk12345
I bought a 2014 Mustang GT Premium with Tech Package and Comfort Package in Black. I've owned the car for 2 weeks now and decided to post a review of my experiences with the car so far.

I traded in a 2012 VW GTI. Prior to the GTI I had a BMW 330xi, and before that a VW Passat. So I'm comparing the Mustang to German sedans\hot hatches.

I debated long and hard before buying a 2014 vs. 2015. I've always wanted a Mustang and have really liked the current body style. When pics of the 2015 wre released, I didn't like it as much as the current model. Just to be sure, I went and looked at both models at the Minneapolis car show. That clinched it for me: I prefer the current style over the new style. There is nothing wrong with the new style, it'll sell well, has some improvements over the current model, but I simply like the looks of the currrent model.

I have no regrets so far and am really liking my new car.

Here's what I like: The looks are just great! For me, a perfect blend of size, chunkiness, aggressive stance, and classic Mustang cues. I just really like looking at the thing. The power and torque are great too. I had the GTI's computer flashed with a program from APR to get more power and boost. While that was fun, 420 HP\390 torque are really addictive. And everything I read about the sound of the engine is true. It sounds great. Even my non-automotive-caring wife noticed and liked the sound.

I like how the nose tilts up under acceleration, I like how the odometer changes numbers like the old style mechanical odometers (numbers roll over), I like the sound of the turn signal, I like that the Mustang is so iconic that it's the only Ford vehicle without the Blue Oval badge anywhere on the car. I like the blind spot mirrors, trunk light, and I think the pony lamps are really cool. I really like the long hood. The GTI had a short hood, and turning the Mustang feels like turning a speed boat with a looongg nose.

In comparison to my previous cars, I'm surprised that the Mustang is quieter inside than the GTI. The suspension is also less brittle, crashing, and harsh vs. the GTI (the tires may have something to do with this...runflats and their skinny sidewall make for harsh rides). I'm still learning about the car, so I haven't really tested its handling yet, but everything I've read indicates it'll handle better than the GTI, Passat, and maybe even the '06 BMW. Turn is seems quick and sharp. The steering feels as precise as the Germans. I also think I'm getting more steering feedback in the Mustang vs. the GTI (front drive vs. rear drive).

It's been a bit harder to find a comfortable seating position in the Mustang. I really could use a telescoping wheel. The seats are comfy, but I would like a bit more side bolstering. I did not get the Recaro seats as I needed the seat heaters. The seat heaters could also be hotter\have additional settings.

The Mustang has more personality than the German cars. I don't know how to describe that in any other way. It's seems a bit less sophisticated (in a good way) and distant than the Germans, less clinical and cold, it simply seems more alive and interactive with me.

I really like the Nav, Sync, and the bright\clear screen. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to use Sync. I also like the My Colour options. Green instruments with purple halos is what I'm running now.

The interior does look somewhat dated. I knew this going in and don't mind it much. Compared to the German cars, there is a fair amount of hard plastic. But, again, I knew that from the start and am not bothered by it. I actually think the graining of the hard plastic is quite good, better than most...it doesn't look cheap.

Things about the Mustang that I'd like to change and that I already knew about prior to buying the car: Gas mileage sucks compared to my 4 pot GTI. I'll happily live with it. The cupholders are poorly positioned. There is very little storage...guess I'll just have to be neater with my junk. The sound system isn't as good as the Dynaudio system in the GTI. The sound is muddy and not as clear as I'd like. But, that's fixable. Lastly, the louvers on the side windows create some wind noise. I didn't really want the louvers so I may just take them off myself.

One thing I didn't anticipate with the Mustang and didn't pay attention to on the test drives: When stepping on the clutch pedal, the toe of my shoe keeps hitting the pedal rod. No, I don't have abnormally long feet! This does not cause any problems with shifting or create any discomfort. I've just never had this on any of my manual tranny cars in the past

I've had no trouble with the shifter. It's notchier and has a much smaller gate than the GTI. I haven't done any speed shifting yet, but haven't had any 2-3 problems yet.

One annoying thing is that the seat back wont automatically go back to its original position after you move it forward to get things out of the back seat. No big deal, but annoying. I also wish that the seat back had finer settings on its reclining function. VW's have wheels that you turn to adjust the reclining angle of the seat back. The wheel has finer settings vs. the lever the Mustang has.

Lastly, I've already gotten several positive comment about the Mustang from strangers at stores and gas stations. That never happened with any of the German cars.

Overall, I'm liking the Black Beast alot. I usually mod my vehicles, but haven't given that much thought yet. I did put in Weather Tech floor mats and bought strut rods for the hood. Any mod suggestions?! Thanks for reading.

Hey Great Read.. You really took the time to get to Know the Mustang.. Most do not notice the things you have wrote about. I am still waiting for mine to be built and delivered. You really did a good compare to the other cars. Not may do that. Not even the mag's. Picture's please as they say here no pictures then it did not happen...

Good Luck with the new Toy and enjoy.
Old 5/20/14, 04:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your purchase! I like your statement about the how the car has more personality than the German autos. I agree 100% In my opinion, every BMW in their product lineup looks the same. In addition, the other luxury brands copy one another. You end up with A LOT of very similar/looking cars on the road. Nothing looks like the current Mustang. I can't say the same for the 2015 which is disappointing.

As for the hard plastic statement, my wife has a fully loaded 2013 Turbo Beetle and it has waaaaay more hard plastic than my Mustang. Also, I think fake wood looks ridiculous and dated in a car. Many luxury brands are using fake materials to simulate the real thing unless you jump to the 60k+ category. So, whats the difference if the car has hard plastic in it?
Old 5/20/14, 04:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Charlie... You took the words right out. This x 100%
Old 5/20/14, 04:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Absolutely. Wish I had done this. Got some bug damage already.
Old 5/20/14, 05:26 AM
Cobra Member

Mods...

MGW before you buy *anything else*

Hood struts

GT500 axle backs

Upgrade the cheap 5x7 door speakers

Enjoy
Old 5/20/14, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jhawk12345
For your clutch issues consider getting this:
http://www.bondraperformanceengineer...m/Mustang.html

It will solve your problem with touching the pedal rod and generally make the clutch pedal more accessible. I have one and love it.
Old 5/20/14, 08:24 AM
GT Member

I thought the way the odometer numbers flip was pretty cool too.
Old 5/20/14, 08:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
To the OP, as for mod suggestions, that's too big a can of worms. Some not-so-vigorous forum searching will yield you a plethora of information. Everyone will have an opinion, and you can pick and choose the path you want to take.
Old 5/20/14, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Must have mods: Tint Exhaust (may as well do cat back) MGW shifter Springs/shock/struts/CC plates/adjustable PHB That's a bare minimum! I'd also throw some 1" spacers on front and rear until you get new wheels. Cheap but drastic mod for looks.
. ^ gospel.
Old 5/20/14, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bocefus
. ^ gospel.
Hood struts and new door speakers too.
Old 5/20/14, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Absolutely. Wish I had done this. Got some bug damage already.
X3 !!
Old 5/20/14, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Must have mods:

Tint
Exhaust (may as well do cat back)
MGW shifter
Springs/shock/struts/CC plates/adjustable PHB

That's a bare minimum! I'd also throw some 1" spacers on front and rear until you get new wheels. Cheap but drastic mod for looks.

On those spacers, at what size do the studs need to be cut? I am guessing the 1inchers are the ones with the studs attached?
Old 5/20/14, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by woodzusa
On those spacers, at what size do the studs need to be cut? I am guessing the 1inchers are the ones with the studs attached?
1" and above will have new studs built into the spacer - the spacer bolts to the stock hub, and the wheels bolt to the spacer's studs.

Generally, between 1/4" and 3/4" are slip-over type spacers (essentially a washer) and they will need longer studs if your spacers are more than 1/4"...
Old 5/25/14, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies. This is the first chance I've had to post. Busy time: New grand daughter and totaled out my truck. If I can figure out how to do it, here's my new Mustang and, just for fun, a pic of my damaged truck.

Anyone know how to take the louvers off the quarter windows?
Attached Thumbnails New GT Owner:  Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang-mustang-snow-pics-018-medium-.jpg   New GT Owner:  Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang-mustang-snow-pics-012-medium-.jpg   New GT Owner:  Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang-truck-wreck-019-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: New GT Owner: Review of my First 2 Weeks with my Mustang