2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New car pull

Old 6/3/13, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car pull

I have noticed that my 14 GT TP car dont have the new car pull it had when i first got it, it now has 650 miles on it, when I first got it it pulled like a rocket. But now I dont feel that pull. Am I getting use to it more, and need more power? or is there something wrong it with?

Thanks to all. I am sure I am over thinking things again.
Old 6/3/13, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You are likely getting used to it... Mine pulls hard as ever. Have you made any modifications? Almost exact same mileage. If there was a problem you would likely have a warning light of some sort. I get out of my little pick up and into the Mustang and realize just how slow my daily driver is...
Old 6/3/13, 09:53 PM
Banned

you're getting used to it. I was used to my GTO, it felt slow. Got my Beetle Convertible. drove that for a while, it felt like a rocket suddenly. Then I test drove a new mustang, felt slow compared to my GTO.

sold the GTO and exclusively had the Beetle for a while. traded in the Beetle for the Mustang, and the mustang felt like a rocket. Daily drove it and got used to it, felt not that fast. Now I generally only drive it on the weekends now and it feels like there might be a rock attached to the backside of it.
Old 6/4/13, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably is the adaptive learning kicking in on your stock tune
Old 6/4/13, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wentw1tj
I have noticed that my 14 GT TP car dont have the new car pull it had when i first got it, it now has 650 miles on it, when I first got it it pulled like a rocket. But now I dont feel that pull. Am I getting use to it more, and need more power? or is there something wrong it with?

Welcome to the mod bug. Kiss your extra money goodbye lol
Old 6/4/13, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by muscledom

Welcome to the mod bug. Kiss your extra money goodbye lol
Lol..Yep
Old 6/4/13, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

What do the Track Apps tell you the car is running?
Old 6/4/13, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I agree with the above regarding getting used to the power/speed quickly. I used to switch tunes on my Audi once in a while and stock would seem quick then my aggressive tune would feel like a rocketship for a couple days when I switched. Of course then soon it just felt normal and I would watch the tach just waiting for my next shift point. Go do a day at a road course for a track day... Car will really feel slow after a bit, and 100mph+ will feel like you're barely crawling along!
Old 6/4/13, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

By Doug C&L

The adaptive learning truly has NOTHING to do with the WOT feel or Open loop operation of the car with a tune, or well most tunes. As described above most good tuners will turn off the ability of the car to apply learned a/f corrections to the WOT tables, now it will do this with the stock file.Still, this isn't the adaptive feature you are looking for.

There are a few values in the automatic that can cause it to learn how to shift softly, there is Torque Management on ALL new Mustang's and even early ones. This should be disabled in EVERY tune made, this isn't a value that can be selected from either Diablo or SCT's user options though. Nor can adaptive learning from the User options. This is something that has to be done in the custom tuning software.

Adaptive learning can be turned off but this will then limit the amount of learning the car can do for different situations. This can be a bad thing if you are going from different altitudes or even different climates. The car must have some sort of learning to be able to adjust for different conditions. Still this shouldn't make a huge power difference in that while in closed loop, or learning mode, it is trying to keep the engine as close to 14.64 as it can. This is where fuel trims come into play, they tell the tale of how much correction the PCM is making to keep the engine as close to 14.64 as it can by using the readings from the front 02 sensors. Normally +/- 5% is well within Ford factory specs. When these get to a point where it cannot adjust anymore then this is where you get the P015X or p017X code telling you the system is lean or rich. In other words the PCM has done as much correcting as possible and it cannot do it anymore. You have an issue is what its trying to say.

So, in short, truly there isn't a parameter that will turn your engines learning ability off completely, truly you dont want that anyway. I think that its something in the new Drive by wire system that is making the adjustment to the total amount of torque that the engine is allowed to make, this is how the DBW system works anyway, by commanding a set amount of torque by the pedal position. Its when the amount of torque is more or less then it should be is when you get the fail safe mode. The way some tuners can adjust these settings and still keep it within factory parameters is where you will gain the most and keep the most driveability. Turning the Torque Management off is a good start but having a tuner that knows whats going on is the best way to get the most from the car.

The adaptive learning feature in the PCM learns and corrects fuel trims, this in turn helps to keep milage in check. When you get to a pedal position that is enough to make reasonable power then you should be in Open loop and then the fuel trims, or adaptive learning, is off completely anyway.

Now, this is my THEORY on what you guys are feeling. What you are feeling is the PCM learning throttle tables and adjustments and on the auto's learning transmission pressures and slip times.There again this has nothing to do with what is referred to as Adaptive learning.

The way I combat that is to completely remap the DBW tables, not one but a few different ones, and this in turn gives the PCM a different table to adapt from and learn to and this will keep the throttle crisp and alot better then factory. There are SCT dealers that dont have access to this table and SCT basefiles do some changes but not the ones I speak of. Diablosport make nearly the same changes as SCT base files to the throttle tables.

Now as for the automatic features there is a few ways to combat this as well, basically doing the same thing by adjusting different tables, times, and rates you give the PCM a new base to learn from and hopefully not try to reduce. There are also a few switch positions that need to be changed but without going into great detail I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 6/4/13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 6/4/13, 10:02 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wentw1tj

Hey wentw1tj,

You should have your Ford dealer check it out and make sure there’s nothing else going on with it. Then, PM me with your VIN, full name, mileage, dealer, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 6/5/13, 02:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

^^ Deysha, you really do rock ^^

I suspect, as the others have said though, you may just be getting used to the power.

I remember my Mustang feeling like a rocketship when I first got her. Now, not so much. But I love her more and more every day.

My daily driver used to be a BMW 520i........slow and heavy, but comfy as a sofa. I then traded up to 330i and was wary of going WOT as it, too, seemed like a rocketship. Having racked up the miles it doesn't feel quite so impressive now, but that's just me getting used to it.

Take it to your dealer, as Deysha says, and let us know what they think. Hopefully it's just your mind playing tricks though
Old 6/5/13, 04:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Summer is upon us, and with the rising seasonal temperatures, the use of AC, plus the computer adjusting to higher ethanol summer blend fuel will sap some power.

Also, checking the performance with the built-in Track Apps isn't a bad idea, whoever mentioned that above.
Old 6/5/13, 07:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
^^ Deysha, you really do rock ^^

I suspect, as the others have said though, you may just be getting used to the power.
I remember my Mustang feeling like a rocketship when I first got her. Now, not so much. But I love her more and more every day.
My daily driver used to be a BMW 520i........slow and heavy, but comfy as a sofa. I then traded up to 330i and was wary of going WOT as it, too, seemed like a rocketship. Having racked up the miles it doesn't feel quite so impressive now, but that's just me getting used to it.

Take it to your dealer, as Deysha says, and let us know what they think. Hopefully it's just your mind playing tricks though
Awwwwe!! Thanks, Twin Turbo!

Deysha
Old 6/5/13, 09:18 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
You are likely getting used to it.
This, you would think having an 11 second car it would always feel stupid fast but you get used to it and it becomes the new normal.
Old 6/5/13, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have enjoyed having the new normal be faster than most other people on the road. I will never get used to it I think because every time I got WOT and keep pushing up through 5th I smile. That my friends, will never get old. To me anyways.
Old 6/5/13, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have enjoyed having the new normal be faster than most other people on the road. I will never get used to it I think because every time I got WOT and keep pushing up through 5th I smile. That my friends, will never get old. To me anyways.
Need to do it more often, then it becomes normal
Old 7/3/13, 12:09 AM
GT Member

My baby is a Sterling Gray 2012 GT with the MT82 6-speed. I don't know if the automatic has a different learning capability, but my car makes me smile every time I punch it. It currently has 10K miles on it, and it seems just as fast as it was the day I drove it home over a year ago.

I have had some issues with the "notchy" shift from 1st to 2nd, usually only when the engine is cold, but that's not enough to take away from the pure enjoyment of everything else about it. I traded in a 2011 BMW 335. It had a great engine. It was a nice car with a smooth and responsive ride. But it was no Mustang. And, I can't help but smile every time I look at the GT. What a body. It is outstandingly beautiful.

Coming from a recent history of FWD cars, the RWD of the Mustang was a little scary and unfamiliar at first. Accelerating over those rough spots and bumps would make the rear end a little unstable, and it took a few times to get used to it and to realize that the car wasn't actually "out of control." But, since I got my driver's license during the era of the Muscle Cars of the 60s, I find a rear wheel drive car to be a bit nostalgic and a design that is still the best way to experience real driving.

As you can probably guess, I take any and every opportunity to drive the GT. When my wife needs something at the store, the Mustang and I are ready to go. You may find it unusual that, at 64 years old, I prefer the raw power and classic style of a Mustang over a Cadillac or Lexus or BMW. I've had all of those in the past, as well as Corvettes, Nissan 300ZX, and my all-time favorite 1964 Chevy Impala SS Convertible 327 4-speed. But this Mustang reminds me of the old days when power was king and looks were everything. It is a piece of work, and I absolutely love it.

Last edited by Michael Broadway; 7/3/13 at 12:19 AM.
Old 7/3/13, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Just turn off your traction control. As long as it smokes the tires when you stomp it....you will be ok.
Old 7/3/13, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang
Need to do it more often, then it becomes normal
And then when I get back to the states I won't be able to even wind out 3rd without the risk of detainment. LOL.