Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New Automatic shifter for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/12, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
so convenient that they put the window button on the shifter!
LOL yeah, maybe now we can re-wire your window buttons in the door so they change the gears as well

Anyway a very weird approach. I don't mind a manual override system on an automatic, but the only sensible way to implement that is with paddles on the steering wheel.

That being said I have had those for almost 2 years on my Audi A5 now and I have probably used them about 5 times in total. Quite useless feature imo.
Old 2/9/12, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ericc B
LOL yeah, maybe now we can re-wire your window buttons in the door so they change the gears as well

Anyway a very weird approach. I don't mind a manual override system on an automatic, but the only sensible way to implement that is with paddles on the steering wheel.

That being said I have had those for almost 2 years on my Audi A5 now and I have probably used them about 5 times in total. Quite useless feature imo.
As much as people love "flappy paddles", I just can't see them in a mustang. Certainly not with the current interior anyway. I think a more slap-style shifter would be a better fit.

And I know what you mean about your Audi, many of my friends have manual override in their cars (even my GF's Jetta lol) and they don't seem to use it very often. One of those things that's nice to have for those few times where you want it I suppose.
Old 2/9/12, 04:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I drive in the city now, and despite the ease of driving an automatic I still prefer driving a manual. I don't know why, maybe I'm just backwards.
Old 2/10/12, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
As much as people love "flappy paddles", I just can't see them in a mustang. Certainly not with the current interior anyway. I think a more slap-style shifter would be a better fit.

And I know what you mean about your Audi, many of my friends have manual override in their cars (even my GF's Jetta lol) and they don't seem to use it very often. One of those things that's nice to have for those few times where you want it I suppose.
One of the 'gripes' I had about my '10 Taurus was that ulness you got the lowest end model, there was no choice... you got those ridiculous paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I might could see it on the SHO... but probably 98 folks out of 100 aren't buying a Taurus SEL or Limited to drive that way. All they do is get in the way of where my hands want to be.

When I wanna shift, I drive the Mustang.
Old 2/10/12, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have paddel shifters on my '11 4 cyl Outback.
Old 2/10/12, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I have paddel shifters on my '11 4 cyl Outback.
That ranks right up there with herpes on things you shouldnt tell anyone lol..
Old 2/10/12, 09:39 AM
sai
GT Member

I think they should include something in the manual transmission to move the car at slow speeds without using clutch for stop and go situation, driving an hour in stop and go traffic will put a lot of wear on the clutch.
Old 2/10/12, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sai
I think they should include something in the manual transmission to move the car at slow speeds without using clutch for stop and go situation, driving an hour in stop and go traffic will put a lot of wear on the clutch.
umm, then it would be an automatic because it would need a torque converter. Starting and stopping is the clutch's most important function. Hence why you can shift without the clutch (not suggested) but can't start
Old 2/10/12, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sai
Just stop tailgating. lol
Old 2/10/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Old 2/11/12, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Very True, backing off a little more and holding a higher gear to keep the revs in the 1000-1500 rpm will make for a more pleasant stop-and-go traffic situation.
Old 2/13/12, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

I'm sure it's just me, but when in stop & go traffic, I actually prefer to stop, then go, as opposed to roll at like 5mph. Yes, I know it's ridiculous and wastes gas. But the problem is that for my 2011 auto, it doesn't like to stay between 4 and 10 mph - at those speeds, it's right on the edge of shifting into a higher gear, so I always find myself bucking forward when all I want to do is coast. So I actually hate it when someone in front of me rolls .

It's entirely my fault though. I will occasionally just throw the car into 2nd, and cruise that way - helps a bit more. But it's hard to keep at a constant 5 - 10mph.
Old 2/13/12, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford needs to ditch the auto all together for a system like BMWs DCT or Porsche PDK. Both of these trannies are quicker than their manual counterparts. As far as Ford moving toward a "Euro" car I am all for it. If Ford is to survive they need to build a car that can be sold all over the world.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 2/13/12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2/15/12, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Ford needs to ditch the auto all together for a system like BMWs DCT or Porsche PDK. Both of these trannies are quicker than their manual counterparts. As far as Ford moving toward a "Euro" car I am all for it. If Ford is to survive they need to build a car that can be sold all over the world.

Dave
100% agree, not sure why they bother with paddles in automatics response time and precision not there but my s4 has the dct system and the paddles are great. Many mustang fans without the skill set for fancy footwork or long commutes would appreciate the perfect crisp rev matched downshifts in manual mode and the ability to run it in auto mode when in traffic.
Old 2/15/12, 09:13 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S

Dave
Originally Posted by xlover
100% agree, not sure why they bother with paddles in automatics response time and precision not there but my s4 has the dct system and the paddles are great. Many mustang fans without the skill set for fancy footwork or long commutes would appreciate the perfect crisp rev matched downshifts in manual mode and the ability to run it in auto mode when in traffic.
This is an unreasonable expectation and not going to happen in the foreseeable future due mostly to the cost. For Ford to build a DCT transmission stout enough to take the torque and abuse it would see in the Mustang would raise the price of the car by probably $5K-$6K.

The car costs enough as it is.
Old 2/15/12, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure I would have ordered the "manual mode shifters" on my '13 automatic if they weren't included, but I'm definitely glad they put it on the shifter rather than behind the steering wheel. That way if you don't want to use it, it will never get in the way.
Old 2/15/12, 09:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jmillz
I'm not sure I would have ordered the "manual mode shifters" on my '13 automatic if they weren't included, but I'm definitely glad they put it on the shifter rather than behind the steering wheel. That way if you don't want to use it, it will never get in the way.
Say, where do you live? The car you ordered is just about exactly what I want, when you get it in then I can come by one night and "borrow" it...PERMANENTLY!

You did order the recaros on it too, didn't you?