2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 5.0= Back Pain?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/10, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely it is the headrest pushing your head down in addition to the concave of the seat that causes the discomfort. I was very uncomfortable until I straightened out the headrest a little as I drive about 80 miles a day. Very easy and free mod.

Here is a link to my post about it. Post number 57. I hope that helps

https://themustangsource.com/f726/be...484339/index2/
Old 10/20/10, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
However, I can't complain at all about the 5.0 seats -
I have the "4.6" seats and they suit me fine.
Old 10/20/10, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by shotzy
Most likely it is the headrest pushing your head down in addition to the concave of the seat that causes the discomfort. I was very uncomfortable until I straightened out the headrest a little as I drive about 80 miles a day. Very easy and free mod.

I have back and neck issues and need the seatback more upright then the "fighter jet" position the car appears to have been designed for.

For me it is not so much the seats themselves as the positions the headrest forces my neck and back into. I haven't straightened the headrest yet. For now, on longer trips I take my chances safety-wise and flip the headrest around backwards to give myself the "neckroom" I need. You might try it to see if the headrest alone is the problem, not the seats!
Old 10/20/10, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

+1. I FINALLY got my headrest angle straightened out - just a little bit, but it made significant difference. Probably gained less than an inch but now I am much happier with it. Had a friend at a machine shop do it - much like Shotzy. Can always bend it more later....
Old 10/20/10, 08:44 PM

I rented a 2010 mustang recently while on a vacation and for the first 2 days of driving it my lower back killed me. I drove it more as that was the only mode of transport and either my back got used to it or I found a better position, but by the last two days of my week long trip my back did not hurt. That was including a 3 hr commute to see a NASCAR race in Loudon NH. That was the cloth seats tho so they may feel different to some people.
Old 10/20/10, 09:29 PM

I haven't sat in a new Mustang but I've noticed that a lot of new cars seem to have extremely uncomfortable angled down headrests. I speculate that it might have something to do with crash standards? I sat in a 2010 Accord and it was horrible.

Or, maybe car manufacturers are getting paid off by the chiropractors association....
Old 10/21/10, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cereal
I haven't sat in a new Mustang but I've noticed that a lot of new cars seem to have extremely uncomfortable angled down headrests. I speculate that it might have something to do with crash standards? I sat in a 2010 Accord and it was horrible.

Or, maybe car manufacturers are getting paid off by the chiropractors association....
They are designed to prevent serious neck injuries in a crash. The top of the headrest is supposed to be even with the top of your head; the forward angle of the headrest prevents your neck from snapping backwards in a crash.
Old 10/21/10, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by i3arracuda
They are designed to prevent serious neck injuries in a crash. The top of the headrest is supposed to be even with the top of your head; the forward angle of the headrest prevents your neck from snapping backwards in a crash.

^ This.

The modern headrest designs offer so much more protection from neck injuries. I actually don't find mine to be uncomfortable at all.