2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 5.0= Back Pain?

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/10, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 5.0= Back Pain?

Hey guys, just got a new 5.0 Premium with the upgraded cashmere stripe interior. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable position in it. I test drove one with cloth and had no problems, so leather is not as cushiony, or I wasn't in it long enough. I think the problem is that the seat is concave and it forces me to slightly hunch, no matter which way I lean the seat. Its not just a gradual thing either, its instant lower back pain as soon as I sit in it. Lumbar support does nothing but increase discomfort.

I really want to enjoy the hell out of this car, but I am starting to dread it. I spend 2 hours a day commuting and it is getting rough. I am only 28 and have no back issues whatsoever. I am using a folded up towel placed behind me, which seems to help slightly. Any advice? I am looking into some orthopedic back support thingys, but this can't be necessary. I am healthy and young, I shouldn't have to look for orthopedic equipment to enjoy my new Stang. Should I just buy those white velcro shoes, a pack of depends, a toyota, or just shoot myself now :P

Sorry about the rant, I really just want to get over this and enjoy hitting the road. Any help or advice from people who may have felt this way would be greatly appreciated.

(I'll stop whining now, really)
Old 10/19/10, 06:17 PM
Cobra R Member

The seats suck, plain and simple.

Try leaning the seat back more and moving the head rest up.

Last edited by Adam; 10/19/10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10/19/10, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RoyBatty
I am healthy and young, I shouldn't have to look for orthopedic equipment to enjoy my new Stang. Should I just buy those white velcro shoes, a pack of depends, a toyota, or just shoot myself now :P
You forgot the cane and yelling at the TV.

But maybe it will take a little while for the seat to break in a little? I noticed my seats got a little more comfy after sitting in them. Perhaps will get more cushiony like you wanted
Old 10/19/10, 06:33 PM
V6 Member

I can't stand chairs/seats that have the 'hunch' type back. However, I can't complain at all about the 5.0 seats - they seem perfectly fine for me. I even made a 8-9 hour trip in them with no back discomfort at all, which I am prone to. I have the base model (so cloth seats), but I assumed the leather seats would be similar.
Old 10/19/10, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems strange, but I've noticed on other vehicles that the leather and cloth seats sit differently. You would think the seat cover is the only difference, but that's not always the case. I know exactly what you're talking about, I don't like that, either. Take the car to a reputable trim shop and see if they can add some padding to the seats or have any other ideas to make you comfortable.
Old 10/19/10, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love my seats and have always found them comfortable. I've driven long distance 1,500 miles in one day from Michigan to Florida. Guess it just depends on people's size and shape?
Old 10/19/10, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Have you messed with the lumbar adjustment?

Also instead of leaning the seat farther back try and tilt it up a little bit more so you sit more upright. If you lean the seat too far back it forces you to hunch to reach the steering wheel comfortably and you end up hurting your mid-upper back.
Old 10/19/10, 07:27 PM
GT Member

I found that moving the headrest up a bit makes a big difference. Also i find that i have to sit closer to the steering wheel in my mustang than i did in my VW to be comfortable. By the way i am 6ft 175lbs if that helps.
Old 10/19/10, 07:34 PM
GT Member

I think you need to get up on the wheel boy!

Haha
Old 10/19/10, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe you should see a doctor for your back.I'm a little older than you (ok alot) & have had back issues for a long time mainly because of work.I have the 401a leather cash stripe also.

I've been on a couple of long trips & my back has not been a issue.However I noticed my right leg was getting a dead leg feel.I adjusted the seat back so the front of the seat would support my leg better.

Maybe a good chiropractor would be helpful.

Hey I know why your back is hurting it's all that power the 5.0 is putting out.
Old 10/19/10, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stangpilot007
I love my seats and have always found them comfortable. I've driven long distance 1,500 miles in one day from Michigan to Florida. Guess it just depends on people's size and shape?
I haven't put long distance miles on mine yet but I also find the seats comfortable. I sat in one with the full leather and didn't find it as comfortable as the leather vinyl combo.
Old 10/19/10, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't experienced the back pain issue, but I hate the seat material in the California Special..what the he!! is it? I enjoy driving in the hills, and I find myself sliding all over the place and continually moving back into position on the seat. I thought, according to the window sticker, I paid for leather.

For the OP, I would suggest you take the car to a good upholstry shop. They can remove the seat back cover and add foam to cutomize the seat for you, and eliminate the back pain. This really should not be that expensive a mod.
Old 10/19/10, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I haven't experienced the back pain issue, but I hate the seat material in the California Special..what the he!! is it? I enjoy driving in the hills, and I find myself sliding all over the place and continually moving back into position on the seat. I thought, according to the window sticker, I paid for leather.

For the OP, I would suggest you take the car to a good upholstry shop. They can remove the seat back cover and add foam to cutomize the seat for you, and eliminate the back pain. This really should not be that expensive a mod.
Though it's vague in the description you paid for leather trim. I believe the inserts on the C/S are carbon fiber.
Old 10/19/10, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

All I know is that when you are gripping the steering wheel comfortably you want your back to be fully rested against the seat back. That should determine how far you lean the seat back. To far back and it won't be comfortable like I said.
Old 10/19/10, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys. I wanted to get closer to the wheel, but then my right knee hits the side/bottom of the steering column when I brake. Not a huge amount of vertical room down there. Lumbar support makes things worse. I have tried putting the seat upright, and in the lean back position. I will try adjusting the headrest tomorrow, but I don't know if it will help the lower back. I don't want to mod it, cause I blew all my disposable income getting the GT. I am thinking about getting my hands on some memory foam and Macgyver something up. Hopefully the seats just need to break in and I just need to work a back/butt groove into the foam.

I will try any and all suggestions. Thanks and keep them coming.
Old 10/19/10, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine has the base interior and the seats are serviceable but far from cozy. You don't notice it around town but after a few hours on a road trip, you're wishing for something better. At least the 5.0 is so fast you can justify upgrading to racing seats.

Originally Posted by RoyBatty
Hey guys, just got a new 5.0 Premium with the upgraded cashmere stripe interior. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable position in it. I test drove one with cloth and had no problems, so leather is not as cushiony, or I wasn't in it long enough. I think the problem is that the seat is concave and it forces me to slightly hunch, no matter which way I lean the seat. Its not just a gradual thing either, its instant lower back pain as soon as I sit in it. Lumbar support does nothing but increase discomfort.

I really want to enjoy the hell out of this car, but I am starting to dread it. I spend 2 hours a day commuting and it is getting rough. I am only 28 and have no back issues whatsoever. I am using a folded up towel placed behind me, which seems to help slightly. Any advice? I am looking into some orthopedic back support thingys, but this can't be necessary. I am healthy and young, I shouldn't have to look for orthopedic equipment to enjoy my new Stang. Should I just buy those white velcro shoes, a pack of depends, a toyota, or just shoot myself now :P

Sorry about the rant, I really just want to get over this and enjoy hitting the road. Any help or advice from people who may have felt this way would be greatly appreciated.

(I'll stop whining now, really)
Old 10/19/10, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock cloth seat doesn't work for me but hardly any seat does. I added a 1" dense neoprene cushion in the lumbar area inside the seat. It wasn't easy but it works. I am getting some Recaros soon I had these in a M3 and added a blow up cushion to the lumbar area that helped too.
Old 10/19/10, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm glad you posted this, thank you. I agree fully. I am unable to find a comfortable position in these seats. For me, not having a power seat back is the biggest problem because the notches are spaced far too apart... Which makes me tilt the front cushion in order to fine tune the seat back. I drove my mini for a day and when I got back into the stang I was really uncomfortable. In fact, I have to make some kind of adjustment every time I sit in the car. I have the 400 premium seats.
Old 10/20/10, 02:52 AM
Bullitt Member

These seats are fine. You can adjust them practically anyway you need them to be comfortable. You want discomfort?...try driving in a mazda 3 for a few hours...GEEZ!
Old 10/20/10, 06:27 AM

180 out

I'm exact opposite, this is probably the only vehicle that I experience no back pain at all. The only discomfort I have is my rump after long durations (2+hrs). Maybe I should put on some weight down south for more cushioning lol

Quick Reply: New 5.0= Back Pain?