Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 2011 V6 vs used 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/10, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now as for the topic.

TC you seem like a cool father, if you feel your son is responsible driver and won't think he will be reckless why not go for the 2010 GT?

Will be able to save you some cash and the rumble and grumble of the V8 is music to anyones ears.
Old 7/22/10, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
I guess I didn't really consider that. I'm going to be 23 in a couple months. My previously spotless driving record got ruined this past St. Patty's Day with a "wet reckless" conviction. I'm dumb and deserved it. But the points stay on my record for 7 years and um yeah...insurance on a
2011 GT for me, bare minimum liability only, would be $546/month. 2011 V6? $489/month. And I was just about to order a new GT back then. Yeah that's not happening...oh...ever now.

They don't even give you one chance to screw up. Have I learned my lesson and am I lucky to be alive? Yes of course. But, my life as a car enthusiast has effectively been ruined for at least the next 10 years, as unless I find some ridiculously paying job, there's no way I will be able to afford the car, the insurance, and still live. Unless I live IN it.
I'm reading this right? $546 per month
Old 7/22/10, 01:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yep. You read correctly. And Josh, yeah I would have been okay if I didn't lose my job because of it. I actually got promoted the same day, but my promotion caused me to need a vehicle sales license, which you can't get with a suspended DL. I have 3 more weeks of DL suspension to go, then I finally get my life back. I've been applying and might be getting a job at Apple pretty soon. Won't be near what I was making before ($65k plus), but it will allow me to get out of the house and save up. Insurance on my 2000 V6 with 115k miles is going to be around $300/month. For liability only. This SUCKS. So I'm looking into getting a motorcycle, as liability only on a bike is much cheaper than a car, even with points on your driving record. We'll see. I just want to get back to work and be able to drive ANYthing again.

OP, I haven't driven a 2011 V6 yet, but the 2010 GT was more car than I'd ever need. If he can find one with options that would satisfy him, he should go that way. The new V6s actually sound pretty good with exhaust, but nothing will ever make them sound like a V8. Are you cosigning for him?
Old 7/22/10, 02:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I didn't really consider that. I'm going to be 23 in a couple months. My previously spotless driving record got ruined this past St. Patty's Day with a "wet reckless" conviction. I'm dumb and deserved it. But the points stay on my record for 7 years and um yeah...insurance on a
2011 GT for me, bare minimum liability only, would be $546/month. 2011 V6? $489/month. And I was just about to order a new GT back then. Yeah that's not happening...oh...ever now.

They don't even give you one chance to screw up. Have I learned my lesson and am I lucky to be alive? Yes of course. But, my life as a car enthusiast has effectively been ruined for at least the next 10 years, as unless I find some ridiculously paying job, there's no way I will be able to afford the car, the insurance, and still live. Unless I live IN it.
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Hey man looks like you and I are in the EXACT position when it comes to insurance.

I'm 20 and have been driving since i was 16 and I had a car accident back in 08 when some guy T boned me while he was speeding through a intersection. It was ruled my fault since he had the right away. Anywho that was in my 05 V6 Mustang I eventually traded it in for a 08 GT and my insurance hoverd around 550 and has come down in the recent years. When i got my 2011 GT i dreaded talking to my insurance My current monthly was $410. I swaped my 08 for my 2011 and was only a $8 a month raise in my premium. So I'm at $418 for the monthly insurance. I've been with mercury but went through the broker AIS.

This car is worth every penny, I have a good paying job so i still have funds to live and pay my bills, but it would be well worth every dollar I have for my car. Considering our young age, might as well get the car YOU want NOW, rather then wait and start a family and have other responsibilities etc later down the road.
HOLY SH*T!!!

If I were in you guys shoes I would just have to quit driving and get a bicycle or something...
Old 7/22/10, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since this comparo thread has turned into an insurance discussion, here's what my options are with Progressive (my carrier). BTW, I'm a single, 29 year old male (ladies ) with a clean record.

2008 V6 - $616.50 for 6 months (my current ride and rate)
2010 V6 - $659.50 for 6 months
2011 V6 - $667.50 for 6 months (en route)
2010 GT - $839.50 for 6 months
2011 GT - $848.50 for 6 months
Old 7/22/10, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Once Bart opens the new station that stops at the mall where my new job will be (if I get it), I will probably park the car and drop the insurance/registration on it. I have had plans for an engine swap, paint job, and full interior redo anyways, so might as well fix it up all nice to be ready for me when I can actually afford insurance again. I honestly think it is absolute BS though. I mean, as if the fines and fees and losing my job weren't enough to teach me my lesson. They have to bend me over for TEN years on insurance too? It's not right. I've been in one minor accident too, but it wasn't my fault so I don't think that goes against me. So yeah, other than that I had a clean driving record for 7 years. I would do many significantly degrading things to lower my insurance...just sayin. Luckily I will be moving in with my uncle, who is only going to charge me about $3-400 for rent, so if I don't drive, I can probably pocket a lot of my income to save up for my own place. I really hope some sweet, car-loving sugar mama comes along and takes care of me. But I wouldn't be so lucky. If all goes well, I'm looking into getting a Harley X1200 Nightster. If I get a sportbike, I know I won't be able to exercise self control.
Old 7/22/10, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

You guys should check with Liberty Mutual. $1465 annually for 2011 GT and wife's 2006 CRV, both maxed on coverage, 250/500/100, $500 ded. I just switched from Progressive a few months ago, saved $1000 year.
Old 7/22/10, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
HOLY SH*T!!!

If I were in you guys shoes I would just have to quit driving and get a bicycle or something...

Yeah but what can you do. I think my baby is worth it

Once Bart opens the new station that stops at the mall where my new job will be (if I get it), I will probably park the car and drop the insurance/registration on it. I have had plans for an engine swap, paint job, and full interior redo anyways, so might as well fix it up all nice to be ready for me when I can actually afford insurance again. I honestly think it is absolute BS though. I mean, as if the fines and fees and losing my job weren't enough to teach me my lesson. They have to bend me over for TEN years on insurance too? It's not right. I've been in one minor accident too, but it wasn't my fault so I don't think that goes against me. So yeah, other than that I had a clean driving record for 7 years. I would do many significantly degrading things to lower my insurance...just sayin. Luckily I will be moving in with my uncle, who is only going to charge me about $3-400 for rent, so if I don't drive, I can probably pocket a lot of my income to save up for my own place. I really hope some sweet, car-loving sugar mama comes along and takes care of me. But I wouldn't be so lucky. If all goes well, I'm looking into getting a Harley X1200 Nightster. If I get a sportbike, I know I won't be able to exercise self control.

Man pat, that sounds like a bummer. All we can do is just learn from our mistkes, even if they cost us a ton of money.

Looks like you have your priorities in order though, you'll get through it. There will always be better cars out there. When the time is right, it will happen.

Good Luck man.
Old 7/22/10, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
You guys should check with Liberty Mutual. $1465 annually for 2011 GT and wife's 2006 CRV, both maxed on coverage, 250/500/100, $500 ded. I just switched from Progressive a few months ago, saved $1000 year.

No kidding.. Wow my prem is maxed which is why its kinda high as well, but that is still really good. Hows the service with them? Might look into it.
Old 7/22/10, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jeez...my entire insurance for a year on 11 V6 is about 600 bucks and that includes collision. I've been in your guys boat before. I'm 33 now, but when I was 16 and stupid, I got into 2 accidents and had 3 speeding tickets and a failure to stop at a stop sign all within about 3-4 months of each other. My insurance went up to 3900 bucks a year and I had my license suspended....ouch!!!

I have a perfect driving record now...not a flaw on it and all that crap from my stupid youth is done and over with. Just take it as a learning experience. Every time I see some kid hotrod past me doing 100 on the expressway, I just snicker to myself and think about how they don't know what's eventually coming to them.
Old 7/22/10, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Loaded V6 > Stock GT, imo. The new V6 is plenty enough for pushing around town and gets better mileage. Better looking front fascia... in my opinion, of course.
Old 7/22/10, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I actually will look into Liberty Mutual. They sent me an ad saying they give alums from my college a discount, so that may help a little. Speeding tickets and other traffic infractions are one thing. They go away rather quickly compared to an alcohol related misdemeanor. I got a lesser charge and the points still stay on for 7 years, and the DMV requires me to have SR-22 insurance for 3 years, as well as having to pay $125/year to renew my license for those 3 years. And the SR-22 form is another $70/year just to get the **** form. I'm already $4k down the drain in fees/fines/lawyer/getting my car out of the tow yard. Like really? Could you rape me any more? I just finished my 3 month DUI program today, so at least I'm starting to get my life back.

But you guys don't know. This burns me to the core. I've wanted my own brand new V8 Mustang since I learned to read at 3, reading Car and Driver. At 5, Dad brought home a special ordered 92 5.0 LX Notch that he said he would hand down to me at 16. Mom made him sell it 6 months later because she was scared to drive it. I've had various opportunities to get into a new Stang over the years, but everytime it would fall through for whatever reason. And I didn't want it handed to me. I wanted to pay my own way.

This year I was the closest I'd ever been. Down to test driving a leftover 09 GT back to back with a 10 GT, seeing if I would have been happy with the 09. I wasn't lol. Had a 10 that I had my eye on, waiting for the 11s to come out and for the 10 prices to go down a little bit more. Well, I shoulda got that 10. It sold and then I got into that trouble. Ugh. Pains me to even think about it, but I'm lucky I'm even here posting. I was legally drunk, but if you've never taken a breathalyzer at 0.08-0.10, you'd be surprised how "normal" you feel. And I had waited about 4 hours after my last drink, drank water and ate, before I drove so I thought I would be fine. Nope.

So OP, like it's been said, only your son can say how much a GT is worth it to him, but you can't replace that V8 rumble. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone. Tell him to get the GT now before "life" happens and he for whatever reason can't get a GT down the road.

I have horrible luck. With my luck the world will end in 2012 and I'll have never owner a V8 Stang. Haha I crack myself up sometimes.

/sob story.

Last edited by laserred38; 7/22/10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 7/22/10, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Just had a 2010 GT over night as a loaner car. The 2010 GT is DEFINITELY the right pick over the 2011 V6.
Old 7/22/10, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanx for all the opinions. We've been talking about it all evening, & I think he's going to get the GT. He drove it today & got fairly comfortable with the clutch. We're already talking about mods!
Old 7/22/10, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

lol. and it begins
Old 7/22/10, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
No kidding.. Wow my prem is maxed which is why its kinda high as well, but that is still really good. Hows the service with them? Might look into it.
I haven't had an auto claim with them, but I did have a home claim (wind damage) and they were great. Oh, and when I added my auto policy, my homeowners dropped $300/year too...forgot about that! They call it "group savings plus."
Old 7/23/10, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trick25
lol. and it begins
I told him. "Welcome to the sickness!"
Old 7/23/10, 11:43 PM
Bullitt Member

off topic but do you have link to pics of your mach?
Old 7/24/10, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
I haven't had an auto claim with them, but I did have a home claim (wind damage) and they were great. Oh, and when I added my auto policy, my homeowners dropped $300/year too...forgot about that! They call it "group savings plus."

Will have to give them a call to get a quote to see what they could do for me.

Thanks for your info!
Old 7/24/10, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trick25
off topic but do you have link to pics of your mach?
Yep. Check them out here: http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/t...03%20Mach%201/

And below is one of the "new" 2010 GT
Attached Thumbnails New 2011 V6 vs used 2010 GT-dsc_0138.jpg  

Quick Reply: New 2011 V6 vs used 2010 GT