Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New '11 GT owner here

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/11, 10:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '11 GT owner here

This is not a formal introduction thread - I've posted a handful of times over the past year, but otherwise it's mostly been lurking.

I've been admiring the 11 since information first started leaking to the press, but I had decided to not move on any car until at least this spring. And to my surprise, yesterday my wife suggested we finally go test drive one. We did, and I ended up getting an '11 GT, Kona Blue, 6 speed car with the brembo package.

Both my wife and I have g35 sedans. We were both heavily involved in that community. I didn't trade my g, and have decided to keep it as a commuter car. This is the first mustang that either of us have ever really considered, much less owned.

I put some decent miles on it yesterday, mostly babying it. Every moment was spent contrasting the car to my g, and I will admit that the mustang compares much more favorably than I had imagined. I'm not a mustang guy, never have been, and frankly I don't give a crap about the mustang's "heritage". However, this '11 is one helluva car. With it just now having ~100 miles on it, I'm still in the stage where I'm looking for places to drive.

I don't have any immediate plans for the car, but the wheelgap is offensive. I need springs, and tint, sooner than anything else.
Old 3/27/11, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats on the purchase. I'd recommend a good exhaust axle back as your first mod. Roush has an amazing sound. there's numerous threads around here on them.

Sent from my iPhone using TMS Forum
Old 3/27/11, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome to the TMS forums Trey and congrats on the new ride.
You know the way to break-in the engine and seat those rings properly is not to baby it too much. Keep the revs up everywhere in the power band and have fun. That's the way to break-in these Coyote's

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/27/11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 3/27/11, 05:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome aboard, Trey! The Mustang has evolved quite nicely over the years and the new '11/'12 5.0L's is now a worthy alternative to a lot of pricier sport coupes and sedans on the market, as you've found. Enjoy the new pony!
Old 3/27/11, 09:18 PM

Hello, E-ray. I too came to an '11 GT with Brembo from G35 sedans. I had an '04 6MT then an '08 Auto. Really enjoyed those cars, but was lured away by the new Mustang last July.

Just curious about your thoughts comparing the two cars. I really liked the aesthetics of the G interior, particularly the interior. My '08 G35 was the sport model with the adjustable bolsters and thigh extension in the seats (really miss those). Beautiful interior. The Mustang design (inside and out) is a little more pedestrian, though plenty nice. Nissan/Infiniti just knows how to make a car look good.

What I have been struck by are the similarities in the personality of each of the VQ V-6 and the new 5.0 V-8. The 5.0 revs quickly and the gearing of the G and the GT are very similar. Of course, the 5.0 is a lot more powerful, just the driveability of the two engines and transmissions makes them feel like siblings.

What have been your thoughts on the transition?
Old 3/27/11, 09:54 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. After going back and reading my original post, I realize that my comment about not caring about the Mustang's legacy might be offensive. I apologize if that bothered anyone. I should have phrased it better.
Old 3/27/11, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by manashttu
Hello, E-ray. I too came to an '11 GT with Brembo from G35 sedans. I had an '04 6MT then an '08 Auto. Really enjoyed those cars, but was lured away by the new Mustang last July.

Just curious about your thoughts comparing the two cars. I really liked the aesthetics of the G interior, particularly the interior. My '08 G35 was the sport model with the adjustable bolsters and thigh extension in the seats (really miss those). Beautiful interior. The Mustang design (inside and out) is a little more pedestrian, though plenty nice. Nissan/Infiniti just knows how to make a car look good.

What I have been struck by are the similarities in the personality of each of the VQ V-6 and the new 5.0 V-8. The 5.0 revs quickly and the gearing of the G and the GT are very similar. Of course, the 5.0 is a lot more powerful, just the driveability of the two engines and transmissions makes them feel like siblings.

What have been your thoughts on the transition?
I had an 04 auto, then an 05 6MT, and my wife has an 07 6MT. The interior for the 07+ puts the first-gens to shame. Overall, I think the Mustang's interior is actually quite nice. The plastics are soft, and the premium has almost all of the features of my wife's 07 (except I didn't opt for Nav). But it will take a while to get used to the gauges (don't particularly like those) and the lack of the sunroof. The bolstering is very similar to the seats in my 05 - not as nice as in the 07. But I've been happy with the 05 seats for 6 years now - I'm sure I will get along fine with the Mustang's seats.

I am very surprised by the chassis of the Mustang. It's much softer(or more robust?) than my 05 and my wife's 07. Many road imperfections are simply absorbed and not noticed. My g35, with a lightly modded suspension, is an order of magnitude stiffer. Still, the Mustang has not batted an eye at anything I've asked it to do.

One thing that I really think the Ford engineers missed though is the throttle response. The engine makes tons more power than either my car or my wife's - but many times the Mustang requires much more throttle (pedal travel) than my G to do anything. Throttle response is oftentimes mistaken for lack of power or torque. We know that's not the case. Hopefully a tune can eliminate that.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Mustang. It really is a fabulous car. But at this time (just over a day of ownership), I think the drivetrain surpasses the chassis.
Old 3/28/11, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by t-ray
Thanks for the welcome guys. After going back and reading my original post, I realize that my comment about not caring about the Mustang's legacy might be offensive. I apologize if that bothered anyone. I should have phrased it better.
You were being honest with your tastes no need to apologize...your on board that's what matters
Old 3/29/11, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
I had an 04 auto, then an 05 6MT, and my wife has an 07 6MT. The interior for the 07+ puts the first-gens to shame. Overall, I think the Mustang's interior is actually quite nice. The plastics are soft, and the premium has almost all of the features of my wife's 07 (except I didn't opt for Nav). But it will take a while to get used to the gauges (don't particularly like those) and the lack of the sunroof. The bolstering is very similar to the seats in my 05 - not as nice as in the 07. But I've been happy with the 05 seats for 6 years now - I'm sure I will get along fine with the Mustang's seats.

I am very surprised by the chassis of the Mustang. It's much softer(or more robust?) than my 05 and my wife's 07. Many road imperfections are simply absorbed and not noticed. My g35, with a lightly modded suspension, is an order of magnitude stiffer. Still, the Mustang has not batted an eye at anything I've asked it to do.

One thing that I really think the Ford engineers missed though is the throttle response. The engine makes tons more power than either my car or my wife's - but many times the Mustang requires much more throttle (pedal travel) than my G to do anything. Throttle response is oftentimes mistaken for lack of power or torque. We know that's not the case. Hopefully a tune can eliminate that.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Mustang. It really is a fabulous car. But at this time (just over a day of ownership), I think the drivetrain surpasses the chassis.
What did you do to your G35 to get a 13.2? Thats a full second faster then I have seen one go. My GT with brembo is anything but softly suspended. Your G35 must have been harsh!