2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Need opinions on buying a new mustang

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/14, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on buying a new mustang

Hello all,

I just got back from the dealer and would like to ask you all a few questions about ordering a new mustang. First of all, I'm looking at ordering a 2014 Mustang GT 402A package w/ 6 speed manual and electronics package. The MSRP of the car is about 40k, but the dealer said they could bring the price down to about 38k (lower than the X-plan, I was told) + 5.5k in incentives. The car will be ~32k + TTL. Below are my questions:

1) The salesman told me he couldn't "lock in" the incentives and that I would have to take whatever incentives there is when the car arrives. I read somewhere on this forum that other users said they locked in their incentives when they ordered the car and if the incentives were better when the car arrived, they got those instead. Am I being misled?

2) Another thing I was told is I couldn't put a deposit or money down on the car. I'm a bit worried the lack of a contract could open the door for the price to be higher when the car arrives from the factory. The salesman said he could write something up and place it in a file, but I don't think that would be a legitimate contract... Does this sound like a good option?

3) Are there any incentives that will not allow the $750 coupon to be used?

Thanks all in advance.
Old 2/1/14, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Incentives are locked in. You get the best of what is active at the time you buy or what comes in. You can also use the $750 coupon with the current $3,000 in incentives......also, never heard of a dealer who said you couldn't place a deposit on a car.....
Old 2/1/14, 04:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, incentives are NOT locked in, you get what is offered at the time of the close of the sale. The incentives come from Ford, not the dealer, the dealer can only get what is available at the time the deal is closed at delivery.

I do agree, that I have also never heard of a dealer who wouldn't take a deposit on a car on order, of course the deposit doesn't guarantee the sale or deal anyway.

I'd look for a car on the lot somewhere to buy that matches your wish list.
Old 2/1/14, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I think I would be looking for a different dealer.

Just a suggestion. Go to www.truecar.com and configure the car just the way you want it. The site will show you the MSRP and their target price, which is a pretty aggressive price. They then have a process where you can register with them and they will refer you to several dealers in your area. That is what I did and I got the impression that those dealers I was referred to had a relationship with truecar where they had to meet or beat the target price. My dealer beat it by a little. You still get to use the incentives.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 2/1/14, 05:43 PM

Thanks all for the input. I liked the idea of ordering the car because I'm still in a lease and that ends in a few months which would be, hopefully, when the car would arrive from the factory. I was just curious about the incentives because if the car arrives after March 31st, I would loose out on the current incentives if I couldn't get them locked in... On the bright side of things, the salesman assured me that I was not bound to an agreement to buy the car when it comes in. Also, I would receive the $1000 off for the Competitor Lease Conquest and $500 for being a new grad. Could I use the $750 in conjunction with those two incentives? I don't mean to bombard you guys with all of these questions, but you all are so knowledgeable

Tukatz, I actually tried to use the Truecar price voucher and the salesman said no-can-do because it was only valid for in-stock vehicles.
Old 2/1/14, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ampzor
Tukatz, I actually tried to use the Truecar price voucher and the salesman said no-can-do because it was only valid for in-stock vehicles.
That's another reason to look for another dealer. I used truecar and I did register with them. They sent me contact info for three dealers and sent them my contact info as well. I selected my local dealer and have been very pleased that I did so. I printed my truecar quote and took it with me when I went in to see them. I told the salesman exactly what I wanted to order and showed him my truecar printout. Oh, no problem, said he and quoted me a price a little lower than their target. He ordered my car for me and took a $500 deposit. I was out the door for something very close to MSRP once you considered the price he quoted, taxes and license, and incentives.

Either the salesman you spoke to is not well informed, or he is being less than honest with you IMHO.
Old 2/1/14, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Yes..incentives are locked in....
Old 2/1/14, 06:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, they aren't.

The $750 customer cash can be used with any of the other normal incentives in effect at the time of the sale.
Old 2/1/14, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

Ask the sales guys on here...yes they are.
Old 2/1/14, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

The worst you can get is what they are when you order...if they go up you get the higher amount but if they go down you get what they were when you ordered the car.
Old 2/1/14, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello all,

I just got back from the dealer and would like to ask you all a few questions about ordering a new mustang. First of all, I'm looking at ordering a 2014 Mustang GT 402A package w/ 6 speed manual and electronics package. The MSRP of the car is about 40k, but the dealer said they could bring the price down to about 38k (lower than the X-plan, I was told) + 5.5k in incentives. The car will be ~32k + TTL. Below are my questions:

1) The salesman told me he couldn't "lock in" the incentives and that I would have to take whatever incentives there is when the car arrives. I read somewhere on this forum that other users said they locked in their incentives when they ordered the car and if the incentives were better when the car arrived, they got those instead. Am I being misled?

2) Another thing I was told is I couldn't put a deposit or money down on the car. I'm a bit worried the lack of a contract could open the door for the price to be higher when the car arrives from the factory. The salesman said he could write something up and place it in a file, but I don't think that would be a legitimate contract... Does this sound like a good option?

3) Are there any incentives that will not allow the $750 coupon to be used?

Thanks all in advance.
JCStang is correct. As Deysha has stated in other posts and from personal experience, you are automatically guaranteed (at the minimum) to get the incentives in force the day the order is signed at the dealer, or the incentives at time of delivery, which ever is greater. The $750.00 coupon is definitely in addition to those incentives. As an example, if you ordered right now and have a $750 coupon you will get the minimum of $3750 off the original window sticker at time of delivery. This is Ford's policy, your choice, not the dealers choice. Been there, done that.

Last edited by elkk; 2/1/14 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2/1/14, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the price of a new GT you could easily find a used Boss 302. That's what I would do if I had that kind of money.
Old 2/1/14, 11:26 PM

Thanks again guys for the responses. I'm going to contact two more dealers Monday to see how they compare. I'll keep you all updated.
Old 2/2/14, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I received the incentives at the time I ordered. When the car arrived, the incentives had dropped. So yes, they are locked in, and you get the "better of".

The only reason you're not getting your incentives locked is that the dealer is being dishonest with you. No contract also sounds shady. The only theory I can think of for this unusual behaviour is that --> they will order the car as "stock" (part of their inventory) and not as a "retail" custom order, then try to get more money out of you when it arrives. You don't get the original incentives in this case because it was ordered as their "stock" instead of your "retail" order - which explains the nonsense about not locking in.

-that's just a shot in the dark theory. I've been watching too much Sherlock Holmes recently.

Last edited by Mrsuitcase; 2/2/14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 2/2/14, 05:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Exactly what Mrsuitcase said!!
Old 2/2/14, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Good points, which reminds me if you do place an order make sure they place it as a retail order and not as a stock order and give it a priority as close to 10 as possible. Those two issues have a big impact on how quickly your car gets built.
Old 2/2/14, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
I received the incentives at the time I ordered. When the car arrived, the incentives had dropped. So yes, they are locked in, and you get the "better of".

The only reason you're not getting your incentives locked is that the dealer is being dishonest with you. No contract also sounds shady. The only theory I can think of for this unusual behaviour is that --> they will order the car as "stock" (part of their inventory) and not as a "retail" custom order, then try to get more money out of you when it arrives. You don't get the original incentives in this case because it was ordered as their "stock" instead of your "retail" order - which explains the nonsense about not locking in.

-that's just a shot in the dark theory. I've been watching too much Sherlock Holmes recently.
I have the advantage (I guess) of being in a big metro area with plenty of dealers to shop. Some of them are tickled to death to order something and save the hassle of trying to sell a dealer stock unit from the lot... some clearly don't want to order something. What the Ford policy is and what any given dealer will actually tell you may or not be the same thing. Some dealers/sales people simply don't know the answer, some simply don't care and will tell you any kind of lie necessary to get more money. Sad but true...
Old 2/2/14, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

A quick question guys, I've been trying to decide weather to wait for the new model or get a 14 since it would probably be a bit easier on the bank account with the rebates coming down. I haven't really been able to find too much information on the deals though. Is there a place I can go to find them?
Old 2/2/14, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by elkk
JCStang is correct. As Deysha has stated in other posts and from personal experience, you are automatically guaranteed (at the minimum) to get the incentives in force the day the order is signed at the dealer, or the incentives at time of delivery, which ever is greater. The $750.00 coupon is definitely in addition to those incentives. As an example, if you ordered right now and have a $750 coupon you will get the minimum of $3750 off the original window sticker at time of delivery. This is Ford's policy, your choice, not the dealers choice. Been there, done that.
^^this. Exactly how my order went.
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
I received the incentives at the time I ordered. When the car arrived, the incentives had dropped. So yes, they are locked in, and you get the "better of". The only reason you're not getting your incentives locked is that the dealer is being dishonest with you. No contract also sounds shady. The only theory I can think of for this unusual behaviour is that --> they will order the car as "stock" (part of their inventory) and not as a "retail" custom order, then try to get more money out of you when it arrives. You don't get the original incentives in this case because it was ordered as their "stock" instead of your "retail" order - which explains the nonsense about not locking in. -that's just a shot in the dark theory. I've been watching too much Sherlock Holmes recently.
^^& This, I wouldn't use this dealer!
Old 2/3/14, 08:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello all,
I just got back from the dealer and would like to ask you all a few questions about ordering a new mustang. ...
Hello ampzor,

From all of the info I’ve gathered, all dealerships have the option to lock in incentives. But, not all incentives are able to be protected. Most do ask for a deposit on orders, have their own deposit refund policy, and may not be the same amount all across the board. However, they all have the last say on incentives at the time of sale (unless expired).

Brochures sent out with a $750 offer are based on select marketing criteria. Not every brochure will have one. We don’t have insight on the factors used, but we can look up to see if there is an offer unique to you. Available incentives for your area (by ZIP) can also be found here. You can verify eligibility with your selling dealer as all offers are subject to change.

Your dealer can check any incentive that applies to you at the time of the sale in their system. Hope this helps.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Need opinions on buying a new mustang