2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Need Help installing digital shifter ( Gaslock not lighting up )

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/11, 04:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
Always disconnect the battery when making electrical connections like this. It saves the fuse hunt for later.
Also I would not have cut new wiring in a new car when you could have easily tapped the fuse for power.
Originally Posted by Zeb
I looked at it this morning. I was very frustrated last night, so much that I overlooked the.shift **** DOES have its own fuse. I bet it blew. So, I am a ******* for not wrapping the wires before testing it and blowing two fuses.

Zeb, please let me know if you can replace that fuse or not.

These are pretty easy to install, but you do need some electrical experience. The most important part when working with the car's electrical system is to disconnect the battery so you don't fry yourself, the PCM or whatever circuit/fuse you're working on.

Do you have anyone with electrical experience you can ask to help you? If not, please give our Parts Experts a call at 866-727-1266, they'd be happy to assist you!

If you're still having troubles, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can look into your order further for you. Good luck! Have a great night!
Old 12/28/11, 06:28 PM
Zeb

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate that.

Thankfully, I did get it resolved today. ( And I'm proud that I did it myself. I may have made mistakes and took forever, but I did it. ) As it was mentioned, it is easy IF you have *some* kind of electrical experience, which I did not. I am quick to admit that, but the good thing here is that I learned a lot.

The initial problem actually was a blown fuse in the engine compartment because I didn't unhook the battery. Dumb, but I didn't know. ( It was Position 5 under the hood, controlling console power point ) I also replaced the fuse for the shifter, which I am not sure was blown out or not...but I did it. The reason it didn't work the first time I plugged it in was....and this is really dumb.....I was working off memory from the night before and put it into position 12, which is unused. D'oh!

I spliced the accessory wires back together as well, so I am back to being fully functional.

A couple of notes, however:

* In a 2011 v6 Mustang, there isn't space for both the data cable and the shifter to be tightened onto the shaft. I used a dremmel to make a neat space to the left side where the data cable would comfortably fit.

* Also, even with using the supplied Zip tie, the leather boot always slipped down leaving an unfinished look where you could see the shaft exposed. I used a couple zip ties as spacers to keep the boot up.

* Programming was actually very easy, and although I saw youtube videos that made it look like the numbers didn't change quickly, I do not see that lag in my own. It's pretty much instant.

* I had to move the box more to the front of the center console, because in the first position, I could see the power light on through my open cup holders and I found it distracting. ( Also, ugly. )

* Overall, this is a smaller **** but it is taller. At the moment my muscle memory is making this uncomfortable, but I will adjust. Although, I would like it better if it were shorter.

* It stays on, and does not turn off. I am unsure if this is a real problem as I can't see it really draining the battery. On the other hand, it's a bit of a theft attraction. However - wouldn't you have to reprogram it if it went off each time? ( And how would you make that do it anyhow? )

I took some video with my phone which I will have to post, so perhaps I can help out someone in the future like myself.
Old 12/28/11, 07:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is it wired to that it doesn't shut off? Pretty sure it should shut off with the car.
Old 12/28/11, 07:30 PM
Zeb

Originally Posted by Hytek
Where is it wired to that it doesn't shut off? Pretty sure it should shut off with the car.
The console power point. The wire that was connected to the power point / accessory charger / cigarette lighter was cut and wired in with the shifter.

That may be something I should talk to A.M. or the manufacturer about.
Old 12/29/11, 06:00 PM
Zeb

After giving it a day, I redid it. Found a wire in the center console that turns on with the ignition, wired it there. The **** retains its programming as well.
Old 12/29/11, 10:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear! Post up a pic.