Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Nav system ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/10, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav system ?

Is the Nav what they call 'text to speech'? i.e. will is say turn "turn right" or "turn right on Smith St."?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently tested a 2010 Taurus with Nav and it was NOT 'text to speech', which was quite disappointing!
Old 4/28/10, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nsthesa
Is the Nav what they call 'text to speech'? i.e. will is say turn "turn right" or "turn right on Smith St."?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently tested a 2010 Taurus with Nav and it was NOT 'text to speech', which was quite disappointing!
it will say..

"trun right on Main St. in 100'... 50'... 20' ... hey moron you passed the turn i gave you a count down.. now we have to travel 3 miles to make a u-turn so you can try it again.. next time listen to me..", or was that my ex wife?
Old 4/28/10, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
it will say..

"trun right on Main St. in 100'... 50'... 20' ... hey moron you passed the turn i gave you a count down.. now we have to travel 3 miles to make a u-turn so you can try it again.. next time listen to me..", or was that my ex wife?
LMAO!
Old 4/29/10, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Not only does it have text-to-speach, it also has voice recognition. While driving you can hit the sync button and ask for an address. It's Ford's way of allowing you to still use it while the car is in motion.
Old 4/29/10, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

So you can't use the Navigation system's menus while the car is moving? So if I want to change the address or something else I have to stop or use sync?
Old 4/29/10, 08:56 AM

I have a question, can I get the electronics package installed outside the factory? like if I don't order it with my car, can I go back to the dealership in like 6 months with 2 grand and get them to install it?
Old 4/29/10, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mupepe
I have a question, can I get the electronics package installed outside the factory? like if I don't order it with my car, can I go back to the dealership in like 6 months with 2 grand and get them to install it?
I don't think they'd be able to install the climate control portion of it.

The Navigation/sync portion could probably be installed but I bet it would cost a lot more than $2k for the dealer to do this.

Your best bet at this point is to just buy it like that from the factory. If your car is already on order, have the order modified. Even if you don't want to roll this extra $2k into the financing, you'll pay more after the car is delivered than you would with $2k + interest.
Old 4/29/10, 09:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically, for these kind of systems, they have different wiring harnesses and are built with more parts than you'd think when it comes to the install. You have to get it at the time of purchase or go aftermarket, that's about it.
Old 4/29/10, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Typically, for these kind of systems, they have different wiring harnesses and are built with more parts than you'd think when it comes to the install. You have to get it at the time of purchase or go aftermarket, that's about it.
I wanted to say the same thing but wasn't sure if it was impossible. My gut would tell me that a lot of required parts that would come from the factory would not be included. So it would be a HUGE project instead of just pulling the old radio and throwing in a new one.
Old 4/29/10, 09:09 AM

****. Looks like I might have to have my order modified then. Will that mess up when my car is built? I ordered March 18th but I don't have a VIN or build date yet.
Old 4/29/10, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mupepe
****. Looks like I might have to have my order modified then. Will that mess up when my car is built? I ordered March 18th but I don't have a VIN or build date yet.
It could or it couldn't.

If it is something you really want, i'd modify the order instead of just living with it.
Old 4/29/10, 09:14 AM

yeah, I'll be doing it. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 4/29/10, 09:19 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
I wanted to say the same thing but wasn't sure if it was impossible. My gut would tell me that a lot of required parts that would come from the factory would not be included. So it would be a HUGE project instead of just pulling the old radio and throwing in a new one.
Plus the additional antennas, power, and sensors to work with the setup you don't see. I found this out after I got a screen to do the nav install in my Speed6, and after pricing out the parts, it was going to be $3000 to get it put in myself. Not worth it IMO, just get it from the dealer if you want it.
Old 4/29/10, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

And let us not forget that it frees up the power port for a radar detector! (Those equipped with the Safety Warning System, of course.)

Old 4/29/10, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

SYNC comes with the Premium models (regardless of if you select the Electronics Packages), so while you don't get the flashy screen, menus, etc., you do still get the advantage of Turn-by-Turn even without the Electronics Package.

This is a fairly amusingly complex process: http://intelematicstoday.com/wp-cont...example_v1.jpg

In short, the nav IS text to speech, but you're kinda text to speech even without the nav.
Old 4/29/10, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
SYNC comes with the Premium models (regardless of if you select the Electronics Packages), so while you don't get the flashy screen, menus, etc., you do still get the advantage of Turn-by-Turn even without the Electronics Package.

This is a fairly amusingly complex process: http://intelematicstoday.com/wp-cont...example_v1.jpg

In short, the nav IS text to speech, but you're kinda text to speech even without the nav.
Wow, 30 to 45 secs. isn't that bad considering how many systems it interfaces with - all over a cell signal.
Old 4/29/10, 09:25 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Lancel

Don't forget while this does work, you are using your cell minutes when you do this from a non-EP equipped vehicle.
Old 4/29/10, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedWings
So you can't use the Navigation system's menus while the car is moving? So if I want to change the address or something else I have to stop or use sync?
Once you are moving, there are things that you are not allowed to do on the screen. Some things you can still do, some you cannot. You wouldn't want somebody driving down the street to be typing an address into the touch screen in their car, would you? That's the reason for the voice activation. I haven't used it myself but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it's very easy to use.
Old 4/29/10, 10:02 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Once you are moving, there are things that you are not allowed to do on the screen. Some things you can still do, some you cannot. You wouldn't want somebody driving down the street to be typing an address into the touch screen in their car, would you? That's the reason for the voice activation. I haven't used it myself but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it's very easy to use.
If you really want to use the screens while driving, then you need to get a LockPick for the system. it allows controls over some of the locked menus.
Old 4/29/10, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've never heard of it, what is LockPick?

Quick Reply: Nav system ?