Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Terrible Car Luck Continues

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 09:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Well, my awesome streak of luck with cars continued last night.
Stay safe out there guys - winter roads are nasty.
Ouch!! Glad to learn you're ok, kylerohde!

Deysha
Old 2/27/13, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Ok what's the story with the valet incident? That is ridiculous
Ha. I parked it at Park Air Express, an offsite parking facility at KC Airport. I liked using them because all the cars are valet parked so there's less chance of something happening, plus they have the car waiting out front when you get back so no searching for it either.

This time, one of their valets, driving the red Escape you can see in the pic, claimed the throttle stuck and he couldn't stop it, which is BS obviously. He had to have been going 30 MPH+, as he spun my parked car 45 degrees, destroyed the front end and hit two other cars.

Took a while to get resolved but they paid me more than the car was worth and I had a 2012 V6 'Stang rental for three weeks, which gave me time to shop around for the GT I really wanted, plus let me really see what it was like to DD one and make sure it was what I wanted.

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Brother - first of all, glad you are well! I've had the same luck. Newish Integra GSR back in the day, my dream MR2 a few years ago, and my Accord coupe more recently - all totalled while I was at a stop. This is nature clearing space for your perfect car.
Thanks man - let's just hope your Stang avoids it!

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Where in the world would it cost $750 to store your car for 3 months? Absolute worst case would be $100 per month - but $50 per month would be more likely. I used to store cars in neighbors' garages in exchange for shoveling the snow all winter at their house or cutting their grass in the summer. Any local friends or relatives who could help you out? Sometimes it pays to get a little creative.
I was just basing that on renting an 8x8 climate controlled space to store extra stuff a few years ago costing me $125/month. Figured a space big enough for a car would be at least double that. You're right though, there's places I could get creative with likely.

Originally Posted by Will3212
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r.../accident2.jpg
I got into a similar accident awhile back, it took $900 to repair. I got the Raxiom tail lights from AM to replace the broken tail light. The bumper was popped back out and the metal interior of the trunk had to be pulled back out. You think his accident is worse or mine?
Will, mine was definitely worse. My driver-side rear quarter panel is getting replaced and likely the trunklid too, which are both fine on yours.

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You know, you could buy your wife a new car and just use her old one instead. Solves the problem of her getting a new vehicle and of you having to drive the Mustang in foul weather. Two birds.
That's what I'd do in a second, if I didn't have 3 years left of payments on Lucy!
Old 2/27/13, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Ouch!! Glad to learn you're ok, kylerohde!

Deysha
Thanks Deysha - Thoroughbred Ford in KCMO is taking great care of me too so it's all good.

Here's the latest - assessor checked out the car and said the damage is $4,700 worth. Driver's side rear quarter panel, taillight, rear bumper, and driver's side muffler are all getting replaced. They're not sure yet on the trunklid but that's likely getting replaced too, so I'm guessing it'll be close to $6,000 by the time it's all done.

But when the body shop guy was telling me all that, I asked how much the factory muffler was going to cost. He said, "$330" and I said, "So, I've wanted aftermarket exhaust forever - can I possibly use that amount towards aftermarket instead of factory exhaust?" And he said "absolutely" so @CobraKev you were right!

The silver lining in all this is that there's a set of Borla S-Types on the way to the dealer to be installed, that I'm basically getting for 50% off. Paid $660 shipped through Summit Racing so they'll only cost me $330. Can. Not. Wait. Lucy should be done within a week I think, just in time for most of this 2' of snow we've gotten in the last week to melt and for the St. Patrick's Day Parade with the Mustang Club in a couple weeks. Hooray!
Old 2/27/13, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That blows dude, mainly because of that rear quarter panel dent to the left of the tail light. Thats a real hectic area on these cars to get hit. Especially since the rear quarter panel is not technically a quarter panel, instead it makes up the entire side of the car. Car going to have to go under the knife, hard. A paint less dent repair (PDR) cannot be performed in this specific case (unfortunately).

Make sure the car goes to a top notch body shop because this is a very serious repair.

There are two ways this can be done:

The old school way - weld a couple thin rods within the dent, heat up the metal and try to pull the dent out. Cut the rods off, grind down the area, then sand, prep and re paint the area. This will cost less time and money but will be more noticeable.

The other way is:

They will have to cut into the uni body with a plasma cutter, remove the entire side panel and spot weld a new panel into place, prep and paint the new panel. Will look good as new, but it is a fairly intrusive procedure. You want the best of the best doing this, not some random jackass that took a few trades courses in college.

Good luck to you man, hope that helped in terms of what to expect.

Last edited by xtc.inc; 2/27/13 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2/27/13, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
That blows dude, mainly because of that rear quarter panel dent to the left of the tail light. Thats a real hectic area on these cars to get hit. Especially since the rear quarter panel is not technically a quarter panel, instead it makes up the entire side of the car. Car going to have to go under the knife, hard. A paint less dent repair (PDR) cannot be performed in this specific case (unfortunately).

Make sure the car goes to a top notch body shop because this is a very serious repair.

The old school way - weld a couple thin rods within the dent, heat up the metal and try to pull the dent out. Cut the rods off, grind down the area, then sand, prep and re paint the area. This will cost less time and money but will be more noticeable.

The other way is:

They will have to cut into the uni body with a plasma cutter, remove the entire side panel and spot weld a new panel into place, prep and paint the new panel. Will look good as new, but it is a fairly intrusive procedure. You want the best of the best doing this, not some random jackass that took a few trades courses in college.

That helps a ton - thanks man. I'm trusting my Ford dealer to do the work and I'm confident their crew is top notch.
Old 2/27/13, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you I'd get:

Borla S Types
2013 rear bumper
2013 taillights

and call it a win.
Old 2/27/13, 10:21 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Id vote for '13 rear bumper, gt500 quadtips/diffuser, ʻ13 tails. Not sure how much itll all cost but itll be a lil more than the repair bill without paint. Thatd be my guess considerin how expensive the '13 parts are
Old 2/28/13, 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
If I were you I'd get:

Borla S Types
2013 rear bumper
2013 taillights

and call it a win.
Originally Posted by CCTking
Id vote for '13 rear bumper, gt500 quadtips/diffuser, ʻ13 tails. Not sure how much itll all cost but itll be a lil more than the repair bill without paint. Thatd be my guess considerin how expensive the '13 parts are
Ha. Not sure I love the '13 rear end enough to spend that much extra money, not to mention trying to convince my wife it's worth it. When we're saving for a house, it's probably not. I'm just happy I'm getting the Borlas finally!
Old 2/28/13, 08:05 AM
FR500 Member

Ha. Not sure I love the '13 rear end enough to spend that much extra money, not to mention trying to convince my wife it's worth it. When we're saving for a house, it's probably not. I'm just happy I'm getting the Borlas finally!
Borlas!
Old 2/28/13, 08:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Deysha - Thoroughbred Ford in KCMO is taking great care of me too so it's all good.
That's even better!

Deysha
Old 2/28/13, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc

The other way is:

They are doing method #2 - body shop guy said it was a pain but the only way to do it. Too much damage to do #1 well. Thanks for this detail though, great stuff.

At least another week until I get her back but hopefully most of this snow will be gone by then too!
Old 3/3/13, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, sorry to see that man, my condolences. Best of luck getting her patched up, I know how that feels...
Old 3/4/13, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, once they started getting things taken apart, they found even more damage to the tune of $2,300 so it's up to around $7,000 total. Trunk lid is getting replaced, as I suspected, plus the trunk floor is damaged and more probably - insurance adjuster didn't get into a ton of detail but I'll get more from the body shop guy at my dealer. Anybody got a schematic of all those different pieces on the back? Tried finding one at FordParts.com and just got confused.

Guessing I'm not getting it back this week anymore either - ugh.
Old 3/4/13, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Major surgery is never a good thing.
Old 3/16/13, 06:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, three weeks after the accident, I finally got Lucy back last night! My dealer, Thoroughbred Ford in Kansas City, MO, did a great job on the car - the paint looks perfect and it's 100% back to normal. I thought I'd post what the damage was so it might help somebody else with rear-end damage at some point. No, I don't know what all these things mean necessarily. I'll post the detail from the job when I get to the office where I can scan next week:

Job #1 Repairs
  • Rear bumper cover: $395
  • Bumper extension - $216
  • Bump Bracket - $52
  • Support - $59
  • Rear taillight assembly: $381
  • Body Side Panel: $752
  • Panel Assembly - BA: $224
  • Weatherstrip: $91
  • Filler - Rear: $185
  • Isolator: $101
  • Bumper Assembly Rear: $210
  • Special Clip: $7
  • Retainer - Ins: $46
  • Special Clip: $7
  • TOTAL Job #1 Parts: $2,772
  • TOTAL Job #1 Labor: $4,545
Job #2 Paint
  • TOTAL Job #2 Labor: $849
  • TOTAL Job #2 Paint: $503
Job #3 Unibody Repair
  • $292
With some other assorted stuff like glass removal/re-install, exhaust repairs, etc., we ended up with a total just over $7,000.

Oh...and like you guys haven't heard it before, but my Borla S-Types are AMAZING. Love them so much. Worth every penny - loud when you want, quiet when you don't and no drone whatsoever.
Old 3/16/13, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on getting her back! Glad to hear everything worked out and you got your Borla S-types. At least all this didn't happen during the nice spring-summer weather when you'd be hitting lots of cruises.
Old 3/21/13, 06:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Seriously...again?

It's not a Mustang incident, but you guys won't believe this one.

So I picked up my car last Friday, 2/22 around 5 PM from my dealer and then went back downtown to meet up with my wife, who drove her 2000 Accord to work separately that day. We watched the KU Big XII tournament game and then headed home, with me about 5 minutes ahead of her.

Well, as she headed up Hwy. 169 northbound out of KC downtown in the right lane, some idiot in a 2000 Olds Intrigue came flying up behind her doing about 90 (35 over the limit), swerved around her, came up on another car in the left lane and swerved back to the right to go around my wife's car. He clipped the front end of her car, ran her off the road and spun himself out...then drove off. We had two functioning cars for all of 3.5 hours...

So, she called 911 and then me and as we're sitting on the side of the highway with the Police, Fire Department and tow truck guys, the police get a call from the Riverside police (next town over to the Northwest), asking if they were looking for a guy in a black four-door because he'd just gone flying through their jurisdiction, ditched his car and tried to hide under a bridge.

After her car got towed away, we went with the cops to the scene where they had the guy in the back of the squad car and had my wife ID the car that hit her. Guy blew JUST under the limit but couldn't remember hitting anything. Somehow, he was actually insured with a reputable insurance company (American Family)

So...she has to be a witness at this idiot's court appearance and this was the result with her car:

Yes, she's having a little fun hugging her car of the past 8 years goodbye. The damage doesn't look like much but the condenser, tie rods, front fender and front bumper all needed replacing, plus likely some other things that pushed it beyond the value of a 13 year old car with 160,000 miles on it. They are giving us $3,700 for it, which is more than I thought we'd get, but it still sucks. Try finding as good a car for the same amount of money - it's next to impossible, so we're going to end up buying something for 10-12K and this accident not of our fault will end up costing us 8K. Ugh.
Old 3/21/13, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this. It sucks, but again you were fortunate that your wife wasn't hurt. A few years ago I got rear ended while stopped in line waiting to merge onto a really busy highway. A guy came down the ramp behind me - I saw him coming and I inched forward and toward the berm hoping he'd miss me. I looked in the rear view and he kept on coming. I had nowhere to go, so I put it in neutral and stepped hard on the brake. He never even hit hit brakes and absolutely drilled me at approx 35-40 mph and shot me 3 car lengths forward into the back of an F150. My gorgeous 1995 Taurus SHO was totaled, but I was ok. With the $$ I got from the insurance company (around $3200) I couldn't replace that car. So that really sucked. The only good thing - actually a wonderful thing- about this is that I was on the way to pick up my daughter who was 3 years old at the time. Had she been in the car I honestly don't think she would have survived the impact. So in that regard I was VERY lucky.

Good luck car shopping and be safe out there.
Old 3/21/13, 07:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Sorry to hear about this. It sucks, but again you were fortunate that your wife wasn't hurt. A few years ago I got rear ended while stopped in line waiting to merge onto a really busy highway. A guy came down the ramp behind me - I saw him coming and I inched forward and toward the berm hoping he'd miss me. I looked in the rear view and he kept on coming. I had nowhere to go, so I put it in neutral and stepped hard on the brake. He never even hit hit brakes and absolutely drilled me at approx 35-40 mph and shot me 3 car lengths forward into the back of an F150. My gorgeous 1995 Taurus SHO was totaled, but I was ok. With the $$ I got from the insurance company (around $3200) I couldn't replace that car. So that really sucked. The only good thing - actually a wonderful thing- about this is that I was on the way to pick up my daughter who was 3 years old at the time. Had she been in the car I honestly don't think she would have survived the impact. So in that regard I was VERY lucky.

Good luck car shopping and be safe out there.
Absolutely right - she was unharmed.

I had almost an identical rear-end accident with my 03 Protege5. Scary indeed!
Old 3/21/13, 08:13 AM
FR500 Member

Here my rear end accident. It was a month before i went for my hawaii trip back home, and some girl rammed my *** at 40 while i was at a dead stop!
Attached Thumbnails My Terrible Car Luck Continues-image-3669632355.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Terrible Car Luck Continues